SRB2: The Past

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechFox97

Will someone be able to make a another version of SRB2: The Past and include all of the 2.0.7 levels in it?

I'm working on it! Have some patience. You might just be rewarded.

Also I have to fix up all the custom objects the new soc system broke.

There's a way to do that, it's called downloading SRB2 2.0 and any past SRB2 versions to play all of those levels.

But in all honesty, there is nothing fun about playing through ten different versions of Green Flower Zone in a row.

But the past versions of SRB2 don't have 2.1 Tails's infinitely-better flying. I would never want to play old Tails again.

The past versions of SRB2 don't have 2.1's infinitely better levels either, so I don't see why you would want to play with those either.

I like studying older versions of video games and such. SRB2 is amazing to me not just because it's a good game but because I can see and play the old stuff to see where it came from. It might be because I want to a game dev on day though. I can't wait to see the new version of this wad. I wonder if the older multiplayer levels will make it into this version.

The past versions of SRB2 don't have 2.1's infinitely better levels either, so I don't see why you would want to play with those either.

Well, I wouldn't, but nostalgia has its own value.

(Though there are some things in 2.0 that I wish were in 2.1. Like the laser cannon in ERZ2—in 2.0 it blasts a hole in the wall that leads to the rest of the level. In 2.1 it blasts a hole in the wall...that leads to a teleporter that then leads to the rest of the level. How boring.)

You should really just download the older versions. It's much more authentic to play through those old Halloween or Xmas stages with the original sprites, quirks, and bugs intact anyway. That will clue you in on how they played much more than a port would.

I think the only really interesting thing to resurrect would be old MP stages for use in the current online. Of course, we're under a different play system now and they were usually removed for a reason anyway.

you know, you could make a case against SRB1 Sonic and SRB1 XMS Sonic too since they don't play exactly the same way as they did in the TGF games they came from.

you know, you could make a case against SRB1 Sonic and SRB1 XMS Sonic too since they don't play exactly the same way as they did in the TGF games they came from.

except srb1/xmas sonic are blatant jokes and your mod is a serious project

Well you got me there. Though I probably would have attempted them at some point too as I do have the SRB2 TGF Stages in the works.

Personally, I actually like the idea for SRB2: The Past.. just not it's implementation. I would personally prefer it as like a "museum" style of map, being able to look and jump into levels as you please (and not being forced to go through several iterations of GFZ just to unlock the old CEZ and repeat the process)

The old versions of SRB2 can be interesting - especially when I can view the levels in quick succession without having to load up a new EXE every time I wanted to see the smallest change in the same level.

Just cut out the unlockables.

In my case, this version of "The Past" would be going through just the 2.0.7 levels, including its Match, CTF, and Circuit maps, with no earlier or later versions included. If we wanted to go back many versions earlier, we would have different WADS that represent each version.

Each map would replace it's modern version from 2.1, so you'd still play CEZ3 despite it not existing in 2.0, and you would have to battle Black Eggman twice, on ERZ3 and ERCZ (unless a flag is inserted to end the game at ERZ3, but personally I don't expect it.).

All the NIGHTS special stages would return to being the "Get ### Rings!"-styled stages, though if the coding for 2.0's special stages don't exist, we could edit the 2.0 Special Stages so they're played in NIGHTS mode, but with standard platforming controls as opposed to the NIGHTS controls. All rings become blue spheres, and somewhere in the level both an Ideya Capture and a "Goal" area are placed, so once the number of spheres needed is reached, a player destroys the Capture, takes the Emerald, and heads to the goal. However if such a feat is impossible, I'm fine either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back