Puffball for 2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's a speedrun character.

See, my problem with this is that Sonic will always outspeed him. The speed thok makes Sonic the fastest character in almost every given situation. Unless you make the character's speed close enough to the speed thok (see Inazuma, which ended up being a mess to control in my opinion), a character simply won't be able to overtake a Sonic player unless you get really fancy with shortcuts. Puffball's ability is less used for speed than it is to simply survive a jump you missed or to get to higher ground, but it can't bring the player high enough to let them take advantage of possible shortcuts. In a pure speedrun sense, Sonic is almost always the better choice.

I don't want to discourage the idea of making a character with an intended goal of being played differently, it's just that Puffball technically doesn't reach his intended goal. Jasper is intended to be a character that can control himself in the air incredibly well and can not only make landings soundly but can also traverse difficult platforming sections if he just gets enough air to soar over it. I love to see concepts like these be brought to fruition into a character, and while you're on the right track of doing something similar with Puffball, he's just not adequate for what you're intending to do.

It also doesn't help that Puffball X looks like deep fried barf.

That, and comments like this...

I just wish i could get better votes on this character. 2.8/5 is pathetic.

...Make me immediately do this.

anL1aEA.png

Last edited:
It also doesn't help that Puffball X looks like deep friend barf.

I can't let this typo die.

Seriously though, complaining about the rating of your stuff pretty much anywhere on the internet is only going to cause a bunch of people to rate it down ever harder.

Alright, so the main list of complaints is that the move set does not work out well? (and a few people don't like the design)
very well, I simply wanted to try something new. The original one had homing attack. Would everyone be more pleased if i switched it back to that?

Alright, so the main list of complaints is that the move set does not work out well? (and a few people don't like the design)
very well, I simply wanted to try something new. The original one had homing attack. Would everyone be more pleased if i switched it back to that?
That won't help at all. The character is a shitty concept (a puffball? can't you do better than that?), has awful sprites, and doesn't fit in with anything else in the game at all. Hell, the character's sprites are sized down which makes the hitboxes all awkward. The stats are also god awful, I had an easier time using HMS than I did Puffball.

As for what really brings this down to the level of immense shit, it uses a lame vanilla ability instead of an originally SOC'd or scripted ability. You also mentioned something about a "Puff Rocket" ability in the OP, which was nowhere to be seen in this wad. Just the shitty air drill. Not a very good idea to advertise features that aren't actually there.

If you really can't figure out what's wrong with this wad after that explanation, I feel very, very bad for you.

It also doesn't help that Puffball X looks like deep fried barf.

That, and comments like this...

...Make me immediately do this.

anL1aEA.png

This whole comment made me laugh.

But really, a puffball really isn't the most suitable character for this game. Maybe a puffball with legs and feet might be slightly better?

You have to admit, it was a really effective comment if you read "better" as "lower". He's shaved off an entire star thanks to that comment =P

In all seriousness, don't make comments like that. You're just shooting yourself in the foot unless your goal is to generate negative attention. This WAD had a crappy rating and few comments because it was crappy, not because there was some mysterious problem that could only be solved by bumping the topic.

I played with this out of morbid curiosity. I regret it.

Let's start with the most obvious: Puffball's stats are awful. You've created something here that plays up the "speedrun character" thing by giving you perpetual ice physics (and don't even try stepping on actual ice). And the puff rocket gimmick is just the air drill only it sends you so high and far that it trivializes any platforming with any amount of breathing room. Why deal with Egg Rock 1's disappearing blocks when you can just use the puff rocket? Or why deal with the lava? Or even bother with any of Aerial Garden?

And the actual sprites of the character are just as bad. How am I meant to believe that I can't just walk under anything you're meant to spin under when Puffball isn't even taller than a monitor? There's hardly any shading and it doesn't even have any diagonal frames (read: you just took the front and back frames and put them over where diagonal frames would be).

Oh, and I attempted to speedrun GFZ1 with this. I stopped trying at 15 seconds right outside the tunnel with the star post. Record: 14.37 with Sonic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back