SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-09-2020   #21
OP345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayAngel View Post
I do like the idea of a NiGHTS style final boss. At least, it could use that as a base for flying around in a 3D environment, have respawning rings and a boss to chase. One other possibility that just came to mind, though, is Metal Sonic. He can go Super and go toe-to-toe with Super Sonic.
Nah it should be something unique. Metal Sonic is already overused in Sonic games and fan-games; making him the final boss would be pushing it even more.
OP345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020   #22
ManuelRome
 
ManuelRome's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
1: An actual final boss that is capable of going toe-to-toe with Super Sonic. Possibly something that, rather than only knocking you flying, maybe does a few rings worth of damage to you to make knockback mean a LOT more.

2: A super-sonic themed level, possibly an escape from Egg Rock or a charge into the Black Rock Core to disable it before Robotnik can escape with the power of the Black Rock.

3: Some form of multi-stage boss- maybe every few hits it changes to the next phase of the fight.
Man, honestly all of those ideas sound hella rad, I definitely would prefer a stage that's 3D instead of a Nights-like movement or a 2d one, mostly because, I know some people don't particularly like the Nights special stages, and I also think an actual 3D stage is more of a reward, rather than another Nights stage as a reward for getting all of the emeralds.

That being said, I don't think it should be all about getting rings like Doomsday Zone, I do think there should be some creative liberty here and create something quite different, maybe something based on the last boss of Sonic Heores like someone mentioned, or maybe something completely unique like the suggestions Snowy made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabir View Post
This Egg Reverie Super Sonic mod was created with the intention of enabling some kind of Super Sonic final boss. I think it would be more suitable for something like the SA2/SH/StH06 style of boss than a Doomsday type thing, though.
Yeah, I mean, when I said Doomsday Zone-like, I mostly meant something with Super Sonic that's unlocked if you get the emeralds, not necessarily that it has to be in 2D or be about getting rings, maybe I should change the title to be more about a "Super Sonic" stage, instead of specifically being like The Doomsday Zone.
__________________
"Starting now, you can only say the words, 'There is no way I can do this!' four times, and four times only. Alright? Four times."

Last edited by ManuelRome; 08-09-2020 at 04:56 AM.
ManuelRome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020   #23
Icarus
Warrior from Algol
 
Icarus's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP345 View Post
Nah it should be something unique. Metal Sonic is already overused in Sonic games and fan-games; making him the final boss would be pushing it even more.
I'm sorry but it's not because Sega and other fangame does it that it forbids STJ from using him as well.


I mean Metal Sonic already get a lot of spotlight as
Spoiler:
the penultimate boss of the main story
in SRB2.


It's not our fault if Metal is a charismatic antagonist that deserves better than what Sega does (I mean look at what happened to him after Heroes, he was a mere illusion in Forces).
__________________
Welcome to the Fantasy Zone
Get Ready!
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020   #24
OP345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
I'm sorry but it's not because Sega and other fangame does it that it forbids STJ from using him as well.


I mean Metal Sonic already get a lot of spotlight as
Spoiler:
the penultimate boss of the main story
in SRB2.


It's not our fault if Metal is a charismatic antagonist that deserves better than what Sega does (I mean look at what happened to him after Heroes, he was a mere illusion in Forces).

No one said anything about STJ being forbidden from using him. I just expressed my opinion that I would personally prefer not for Metal Sonic to be the final boss of SRB2 when Metal Sonic is already overused as it is both in other fangames and is already a boss in SRB2. I don't understand your point about Sega not using him; he's literally a staple of the series and Sega uses him all the time.

And it's not like your opinion on this is more valid than mine. This thread is just speculation and idea throwing anyways. I'd prefer if Metal Sonic wasn't a final boss when he is already boss and is already overused as it is. Forgive me for wanting something unique and creative.
OP345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020   #25
Icarus
Warrior from Algol
 
Icarus's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP345 View Post
No one said anything about STJ being forbidden from using him. I just expressed my opinion that I would personally prefer not for Metal Sonic to be the final boss of SRB2 when Metal Sonic is already overused as it is both in other fangames and is already a boss in SRB2. I don't understand your point about Sega not using him; he's literally a staple of the series and Sega uses him all the time.

And it's not like your opinion on this is more valid than mine. This thread is just speculation and idea throwing anyways. I'd prefer if Metal Sonic wasn't a final boss when he is already boss and is already overused as it is. Forgive me for wanting something unique and creative.
I see it but let's be honest, for me Sega has just ruined Metal Sonic as a cool character (he's just... being there).


Having a final boss that isn't Robotnik nor Metal Sonic would make it hard to be memorable (but it's not impossible).




At the end let's just wait for Grand Eggship and Dark City to come into SRB2 without having to think about it.


PS: I would suggest to keep this thread a bit less in a "what if..." stance because of the updated forum rules
__________________
Welcome to the Fantasy Zone
Get Ready!
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020   #26
ManuelRome
 
ManuelRome's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
PS: I would suggest to keep this thread a bit less in a "what if..." stance because of the updated forum rules
Yeah, I read the new rules, and I think it will be fine as long as this remains an actual discussion topic and not any weird requests or pipe dream.

That being said, if the mods see this thread as a "hidden mod request" or something that fills the criteria of a "what if" thread, then I don't mind if they decide to shut it down so it doesn't become about people just asking for stuff that would never make it to SRB2.
__________________
"Starting now, you can only say the words, 'There is no way I can do this!' four times, and four times only. Alright? Four times."
ManuelRome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020   #27
OP345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
I see it but let's be honest, for me Sega has just ruined Metal Sonic as a cool character (he's just... being there).


Having a final boss that isn't Robotnik nor Metal Sonic would make it hard to be memorable (but it's not impossible).
I would rather put in effort to make a good unique final boss than rehash Metal Sonic again. To be completely honest, I wouldn't have put him in the first place. That, or I would've given him a different design to make him unique (possibly take inspiration from Sonic X-treme's Metal Sonic designs).
OP345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020   #28
ClassicNC
leave me alone ;v
 
ClassicNC's Avatar
Default

I have a story for a super sonic level in srb2 that also has to do with metal sonic. Some stuff would only make sense if you watched the ova before.
After defeating Brak, the eggrock is gonna blow. Sonic and co make their way to a shuttle, only for sonic to hear these cries for help only he can hear. It was metal sonic. Sonic couldn't just leave him to rust, could he? Sonic, knowing full well what would happen if he fails, takes of with the chaos emeralds to look for metal sonic, with tails and knuckles getting sent to mobius without him. Sonic eventually finds metal and tries to help the robot the best he can. Unfortunately, the eggrock is collapsing, so sonic has to think fast. Fortunately, he has the chaos emeralds with him, and goes super sonic. Metal gets a reaction to the emeralds as well, and goes super as well. Together, the sonics try to escape the eggrock. The level will consist of super sonic and super metal trying to avoid boulders and large chunks of iron, and try to head back to the planet below.
__________________
jake got hit by the sonic boom
jake has passed
ClassicNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020   #29
Icarus
Warrior from Algol
 
Icarus's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP345 View Post
I would rather put in effort to make a good unique final boss than rehash Metal Sonic again. To be completely honest, I wouldn't have put him in the first place. That, or I would've given him a different design to make him unique (possibly take inspiration from Sonic X-treme's Metal Sonic designs).
SRB2 is more about keeping stuff close to their canon counterpart (like Brak's design being like the OVA one rather than being a Death Egg Robot reskin).


As for the final boss it should probably be Robotnik rather than some new character that came from nowhere.
__________________
Welcome to the Fantasy Zone
Get Ready!
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020   #30
OP345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
SRB2 is more about keeping stuff close to their canon counterpart (like Brak's design being like the OVA one rather than being a Death Egg Robot reskin).


As for the final boss it should probably be Robotnik rather than some new character that came from nowhere.
Who is anyone to say what SRB2 is about? How many times has this project shifted hands or gone in different directions? Tons of times! Why not create something new? What's stopping them? Taking inspiration from different sources isn't the same as "keeping close to canon". The Sonic canon is a shitshow anyways why should STJ follow it at all?

I meant a unique final boss not a unique character.
OP345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020   #31
Icarus
Warrior from Algol
 
Icarus's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP345 View Post
Who is anyone to say what SRB2 is about? How many times has this project shifted hands or gone in different directions? Tons of times! Why not create something new? What's stopping them? Taking inspiration from different sources isn't the same as "keeping close to canon". The Sonic canon is a shitshow anyways why should STJ follow it at all?

I meant a unique final boss not a unique character.
the thing is that adding a new final boss out of nowhere would make it a OC (because a boss is technically a character to a certain extend, like the Egg Dragoon which became a staple in the series).


One thing I love about SRB2 is the fact it feels like a refreshing game without sounding too much like a fan-fiction (something that sadly some fan-game suffers from).


Also the "story" of the game is made so it could actually fit with Sonic 3 & Knuckles, CD and Mania without having any conflicting element.


Finally the Zones in the game are pretty close to actual Sonic levels in design while being refreshing (Castle Eggman and Arid Canyon being good examples).
__________________
Welcome to the Fantasy Zone
Get Ready!
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020   #32
OP345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
the thing is that adding a new final boss out of nowhere would make it a OC (because a boss is technically a character to a certain extend, like the Egg Dragoon which became a staple in the series).


One thing I love about SRB2 is the fact it feels like a refreshing game without sounding too much like a fan-fiction (something that sadly some fan-game suffers from).
One final boss at the end of the entire game after collecting all seven emeralds is not going to turn SRB2 any more into fan fiction than the rest of the game is. If you can handle Robotnik blowing up a mountain you can handle a unique final boss at the end of the game.

And I said unique, not a new character. You can use Robotnik as well.

Quote:
Also the "story" of the game is made so it could actually fit with Sonic 3 & Knuckles, CD and Mania without having any conflicting element.
One unique final boss fight is not going to cause any conflict.

Quote:
Finally the Zones in the game are pretty close to actual Sonic levels in design while being refreshing (Castle Eggman and Arid Canyon being good examples).
No, they're not. That's the point of the new level design philosophy, to make the game more similar to Classic Sonic design or at least take the good parts of it.
OP345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020   #33
ManuelRome
 
ManuelRome's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
the thing is that adding a new final boss out of nowhere would make it a OC (because a boss is technically a character to a certain extend, like the Egg Dragoon which became a staple in the series).
I disagree on this, mostly because, the actual final boss of SRB2 is not even canon, it's based on the OVA, and neither are all of the badniks, and I think the original badniks have been a staple of the Sonic franchise as well, yet they are completely new ones here.

Having a new boss, as in, a new robot for Eggman to be the final boss, wouldn't mess with the continuity of the game, assuming that it is meant to be a part of the Classic Sonic story. Eggman has lots of robots, including final bosses of classic games, that were never mentioned in any other games, so having a new robot be the final boss wouldn't make any conflict with the story.
__________________
"Starting now, you can only say the words, 'There is no way I can do this!' four times, and four times only. Alright? Four times."
ManuelRome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020   #34
OP345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuelRome View Post
I disagree on this, mostly because, the actual final boss of SRB2 is not even canon, it's based on the OVA, and neither are all of the badniks, and I think the original badniks have been a staple of the Sonic franchise as well, yet they are completely new ones here.

Having a new boss, as in, a new robot for Eggman to be the final boss, wouldn't mess with the continuity of the game, assuming that it is meant to be a part of the Classic Sonic story. Eggman has lots of robots, including final bosses of classic games, that were never mentioned in any other games, so having a new robot be the final boss wouldn't make any conflict with the story.
You don't need to even care about conflict with the rest of the continuity. The continuity is bullshit. The Classic Sonic-Modern Sonic distinction is stupid. SRB2 is already "fan-fiction" or an "OC" given how it's a literal fan-game with new badniks, things taken directly from the OVA, and levels.

You can even make it a completely different character that isn't a robot too. That's not what I want but you can do it. There's tons of characters that are introduced and no one talks about afterward in Sonic games. I don't see how another one is going to be the thing that makes SRB2 "unrealistic". You're creating the character, you can do whatever you want with them.
OP345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020   #35
Jona
enjoys reading comics
 
Jona's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP345 View Post
You don't need to even care about conflict with the rest of the continuity. The continuity is bullshit. The Classic Sonic-Modern Sonic distinction is stupid. SRB2 is already "fan-fiction" or an "OC" given how it's a literal fan-game with new badniks, things taken directly from the OVA, and levels.
This.

If anything, SRB2 has its own unique plotline that leads to the "big bad final eggman" just like any other traditional sonic story. Sonic 2 had the Chaos Emeralds, Sonic 3 had the Master Emerald, Sonic Unleashed had Dark Gaia, Sonic Generations had the...time thingy..you get where I'm going with this.
If anything, I'm expecting the "Final Eggman" to be something regarding the Black Rock as someone in this thread said earlier. It makes the most sense for SRB2's general story and, with how creative a lot of the zones and badniks have been, I'm sure it won't look too outlandish to be "fan-fiction" and feel more like an actual Sonic game.
__________________
I have absolutely no idea what I was doing on these forums back when I was a kid.
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020   #36
SeproDep
Local Idiot
Default

I don't know if the engine is capable, but what about something like the Finalhazard?
SeproDep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020   #37
ManuelRome
 
ManuelRome's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP345 View Post
You don't need to even care about conflict with the rest of the continuity. The continuity is bullshit. The Classic Sonic-Modern Sonic distinction is stupid. SRB2 is already "fan-fiction" or an "OC" given how it's a literal fan-game with new badniks, things taken directly from the OVA, and levels.

You can even make it a completely different character that isn't a robot too. That's not what I want but you can do it.
While I understand your point of view, saying that the continuity is bad or that the distinction of the Classic-Modern Sonic is bad is a different topic all together, it seems to be very subjective to me.

I'm talking about something that shouldn't collide with STJR's views of what the game should be, and as far as I see it, they're definitely taking things from the Classic Sonic era, while not necessarily copying things directly from it, but more like, making stuff that would make sense to be in this game, without making it be a completely new thing and yet not mentioned in the later games.

This is why I don't think a completely original character would make sense, also it wouldn't be necessary, there's already plenty of great OC character mods that are pretty much available to anyone.
__________________
"Starting now, you can only say the words, 'There is no way I can do this!' four times, and four times only. Alright? Four times."

Last edited by ManuelRome; 08-11-2020 at 06:33 AM.
ManuelRome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020   #38
time gear
 
time gear's Avatar
Default

OC mods are fine but I don't really think they should become vanilla characters, for a number of reasons. The chief reason being that it comes at heavy risk of bringing SRB2 deep into "Cringy fanfiction" territory. While one could argue that it is already in fanfiction territory, I feel that the limited story we have actually fits pretty neatly into the kind of thing one would expect from a Classic Sonic title. A totally new OC character however might be taking things a bit too far. Additionally, it would come with the question "Why does this character make it in but (Insert OC character here) doesn't?".

In regards to how a Super Sonic final boss could be handled in SRB2, I think a number of things are totally valid possibilities:

NiGHTS style - Probably the most obvious. It could work well but it would be something of a departure from the 3D nature of the rest of the game. It might feel more natural if more 2D sections are implemented into the main campaign.

Invisible Floor - The weakest option in my opinion. While this would play the most like typical gameplay, it also comes at the risk of feeling rather disappointing unless the fight is exceptionally designed around the usual playstyle so as to make the player not mind much. Nonetheless, there's enough potential to this one that I wouldn't shun the idea entirely.

Free flight (Egg Reverie style) - The option I am most fond of. For the most part I would prefer the free flight be limited to the boss fight, but I wouldn't mind if they put an enabler for it in Pandora's Box. This is the style that gives the player the most freedom of movement, and as such makes them feel more powerful. This would do the best at capturing the feeling of playing through Doomsday Zone in 3D. The ability to unlock the free flight alongside the other cheats in the Pandora menu would also provide extreme incentive to actually collect all the emblems without completing the task being overall mandatory.

Combination (Phases) - The idea of bosses that have multiple phases isn't a new thing, even to the Sonic franchise. Sonic 3&K had several bosses that were multiple phases, and the Advance series made pinch modes popular within the franchise. To combine multiple ideas into one in the form of phases that each play differently could be something of a double edged sword, as while it could end up feeling more epic to the player overall, it also comes at the risk of either the fight being too long, or each phase being too short lived. As such, this is the option that would most need to be handled with care, and would probably require the most work.

All that is my two cents, anyway.
time gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020   #39
OP345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuelRome View Post
While I understand your point of view, saying that the continuity is bad or that the distinction of the Classic-Modern Sonic is bad is a different topic all together, it seems to be very subjective to me.
It is subjective. This entire post is literally a proposal; an opinion. We're not STJ so anything we say is just going to be us thinking out loud and hoping Cobalt or someone walks by. I don't see how your opinion is more valid than mine.

Quote:
I'm talking about something that shouldn't collide with STJR's views of what the game should be, and as far as I see it, they're definitely taking things from the Classic Sonic era, while not necessarily copying things directly from it, but more like, making stuff that would make sense to be in this game, without making it be a completely new thing and yet not mentioned in the later games.
STJ and SRB2 has changed hands and devs so much saying that SRB2 is one thing or the other doesn't make sense. Also the Classic-Modern distinction is stupid for this reason, who is to say something is "Classic" or "Modern". Who is to say that the badniks featured in SRB2 couldn't be featured in a "Modern" game as well?

Furthermore, why is making a completely new thing that isn't mentioned in a later game not "Classic" enough?
OP345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020   #40
Unknownlight
 
Unknownlight's Avatar
Default

The one big advantage of NiGHTS-style is that the player has to already be good at NiGHTS in order to reach the boss in the first place. Egg Reverie-style is cooler in theory, but it's a new gameplay style out of nowhere at the very end of the game, which means that the boss has to be very easy in order to not be frustrating.
Unknownlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.