Why Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Zero

I have nothing against Linux, in fact I partitioned half my hard drive for it, so now I have windows AND Linux sweet..

Anyway what's so awesome about it, I don't get it.

Don't say something like "It gives you more control" or "It looks better" and definatley not "LOL ZOMGZ LINUX IS TEH PWNZORS"

Also, What's your favourate Distrobution?

I was always under the impression that people only ever used Linux because it wasn't Windows. I can't see it being a terribly practical OS for the casual user, or anyone else outside of a working environment, so I don't see why the zealots keep trying to force it upon everyone.

I'm unfortunately stuck on Windows. I hate it because I'm the only one maintaining it, and I have to deal with the piles of crap shoveled into it every day by my family. Once I can convince them to switch however...
Well, that's not to say I still wouldn't use Windows. It's got more products than Linux will for quite some time. But I would like to use Ubuntu as my native Operating System...

The advantage of linux is it actually works. PCs that run windows always slowdown with age for no real reason. Computers running Linux stay at full speed.

Then there's the advantage of linux not having any viruses. (Except for the ones written by the linux people that don't actually do a lot anyway.)

I know how you feel D. Warrior. I'm trying to get my family to switch. I had a tough enough time to stop them using Internet Explorer when I installed Fire Fox.

Linux, is sincerely, a license hell-hole.
Many Linux zealots are always nagging others about why "proprietary" drivers shouldn't be allowed, and such.
Lame people, if they don't want to use a frikking driver, they can.
But forcing me to not use a "proprietary driver" just because it is 'against the spirit' is just totally lame.
There are also many Linux zealots that say that 'OMG Something that is not opensource is the devil and shouldn't be used'.
Go to Slashdot or OSNews and you'll see what I mean. Sheesh.
That's why I've switched to BSD last year and I've began to use Windows again last year.
I've not reinstalled Linux once since then.
And, believe me, I was one of the 'Linux/GNU/GPL/FSF' trolls some years ago.
Luckily, I'm not one anymore.

Dark Warrior said:
I'm unfortunately stuck on Windows. I hate it because I'm the only one maintaining it, and I have to deal with the piles of crap shoveled into it every day by my family. Once I can convince them to switch however...
Well, that's not to say I still wouldn't use Windows. It's got more products than Linux will for quite some time. But I would like to use Ubuntu as my native Operating System...

Did you READ my first post

Depending how much hard drive space you have you can make a partition.

Unless your being sarcastic I could walk you through it..

EDIT: I actualy forgot that you would have to format your hard drive thus deleting windows and you would have to reinstall it, it THAT why you can't switch? I could Partition Because my hard drive is like 149GB so I can have like 75GB/OS.
tails92 said:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:07 am Post subject:
Linux, is sincerely, a license hell-hole.
Many Linux zealots are always nagging others about why "proprietary" drivers shouldn't be allowed, and such.
Lame people, if they don't want to use a frikking driver, they can.
But forcing me to not use a "proprietary driver" just because it is 'against the spirit' is just totally lame.
There are also many Linux zealots that say that 'OMG Something that is not opensource is the devil and shouldn't be used'.
Go to Slashdot or OSNews and you'll see what I mean. Sheesh.
That's why I've switched to BSD last year and I've began to use Windows again last year.
I've not reinstalled Linux once since then.
And, believe me, I was one of the 'Linux/GNU/GPL/FSF' trolls some years ago.
Luckily, I'm not one anymore.

I do really agree that no-one should force Linux on everybody. Then again, it's your fault for giving in,

Linux hasn't ever really interested me, most probably because I've grown up with Windows. I have used Linux once, I can't remember what version it was, it ran slower and froze on me. Whoo. First impressions only happen once.

I'll most probably stick with Windows, and ignore any zealots. I'll use what I want.

Installed RedHat 6 on a box one day. A few weeks later, went to turn it on, encountered problems on bootup. Never used Linux since (other than telnetting/SSHing to a server)

Windows works perfectly for me, so I see absolutely no reason to switch to an OS that doesn't have most of the programs/games I use.

Shuffle said:
Windows works perfectly for me, so I see absolutely no reason to switch to an OS that doesn't have most of the programs/games I use.

Linux can run windows programs. The reverse is not true however.

Well I'm interested in Linux, but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet. I have a disc of Ubuntu 5.10 for PC on my bookshelf, so nothing's really stopping me.

DuelMasterP said:
Linux can run windows programs.

But flawlessly? I think not. Last time I checked, WineX couldn't handle pixel shaders in DirectX games. That's enough to make me stick to Windows. Besides, why switch to another OS just because it can run [some] Windows programs? It doesn't make sense to me.

Really? The experience for me was that it stopped booting into OS X, only into OS 9, and I had to do a complete reformat to get it to boot into OS X again. Then, the sound stopped working and I couldn't figure out how to get it back.

Also, this one immature classmate of mine kept deleting various programs off the hard drive. I swear, it's so easy to accidentally remove the built-in software - just drag the executable into the Trash and empty it (at least Windows is self-conscious, and disallows inexperienced users from deleting system files, yet allowing advanced users to remove them)! And then, when you go to reinstall OS X, you don't even get all your programs back!

I use Linux, and I must say ultimately I prefer it to windows. Since starting to use Linux I have only ever had one problem it jams some times during the load up. Now many people would say this is a big problem however compared with the hundreds I used to get in windows I think that it is rather small in comparison. I also use it due to the DRM that vista introduced which I believe is a complete invasion of my privacy., the fact I don't have to repurchase a new OS every couple of years when windows feels strapped for cash. Also as a little bonus for me it also recognizes the existence of the United Kingdom and doesnt revert back to US every 5 seconds. Thats why I use Linux

The main reason I don't use Linux is because my family has grown up with Windows. There is nothing in Linux that really motivates me to change to it, especially since Windows has MUCH, MUCH more software and games than Linux does and likely will for some time, and IMO Windows looks simpler to use. It seems today, being free and open source doesn't cut it, Windows has too much of a hold on the market due to the old saying "you get what you paid for." Linux REALLY needs some great (and probably FOSS) software equivalent to Windows products, and one hell of a marketing campaign, to top Windows in the consumer department. Linux is doing fine in servers and low cost computers. =)

GCFreak said:
Windows has MUCH, MUCH more software and games than Linux does
And is probably the main killer reason for Windows over any other OSes. This isn't much problem with normal software (in the worst case you can make your own), but it is for games. If you want to play most games, you have no option but to have Windows installed :/ Through it's also true Wine is getting each time even nearer... (Wine can emulate Trackmania Nations Forever, FTW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back