• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Sonic Robo Blast 2: The Bonus Levels (Alpha is here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWP (SRB2)

Just a proof of concept, my first level to be released on here, with the exception for my old stuff, Act 1 beta set to be released on March 17, 2009!!

Act 1: A climb over precarious bridges, and hot lava, to the top of a volcanic mountain range, via caves, and other things.
Act 2: Once on the edge of a volcano, you make your way across it, to find evidence of ruins that once stood here, hidden amongst the rocky passages.
Act 3: Eggman tries to set off a volcanic eruption, in a quintessential pool of lava, by firing flammable slime into it, your goal, stop him.

Screenshots

#1:
srb21110.png

Where you start out, in a Hidden Palace-esque cave.

Downloads

Alpha Download
http://srb2ffh.supersanctuary.net/346scr_srb2thebonuslevelsAlphaDemo.wad

For all I see, it doesn't look like much. You're going to have to give us more than that.

SWP (SRB2) said:
Dude, I just started it today, every day, I'll post a new screenshot, just be patient!!

A new screenshot everyday?

Try making individual levels before you make a pack.

SWP (SRB2) said:
Dude, I just started it today, every day, I'll post a new screenshot, just be patient!!

I am, I'm just saying in case an admin comes in and locks it up. Just keep cool mate. :D
Although, yeah everyday? Post one up every two days, we'll see some progress then.

SWP (SRB2) said:

*COUGH* What? You mean you just started making these levels?

Usually you want to be a few days/weeks into making a level before you come in here with anything. (Especially if it's 3.)

And usually when this kinda thing happens is when people just spontaneously give up on the whole thing later down the road anyway...

srb21111.png

It's a ridge, I intend to fill this area out more, don't worry.

Yeah, I just started making this zone yesterday, but I'm putting a fair amount of effort into it, it's not a pack either, it's a three act level.

Edit:
srb21112.png

Another one of those early cave areas, that's unfinished, but it is off the beaten path, to make the level less linear.

I didn't work on it very long today, but I did accomplish something, and I still have a little more than a month left.

Edit #2:
srb21113.png

Another bonus one for you, back on the beaten path, from the second checkpoint, I'll likely spend most of the next month carving out side paths, to reduce linearity.

Edit #3:
srb21118.png

Another little side path, from that zig-zag ridge area, more work will go into this over time.

Edit #4:
srb21122.png

I told you I'd expand on this area, it has a bridge now, also I added some other things, I'll keep hidden for now.

Edit #5:
srb21124.png

It's a cave, a dangerous cave.

Edit #6:
srb21125.png

Atop a ridge, overlooking an inferno, as vague as that sounds, it's true.

Edit #7:
srb21126.png

It's a ridge, overlooking another ridge, yes the level has a lot of ridges, like ruffles potato chips, seriously.

Edit #8:
srb21127.png

Close to the end of the level, which means, it's time to work on side paths.

Edit #9:
srb21131.png

One of the level's hidden waterfalls, in an early stage, yeah, I'm not working on my level very much today.

Edit #10:
srb21132.png

Didn't get to work on it yesterday, but I've resumed where I left off, and this area, may look familiar, but I've been making changes, and expanding on it, which you'll see in the demo.

Making a full level pack!!

srb21148.png

I'm going to leave you in the dark, about this one.

I know it's wrong to double post, but I'm announcing my next couple level ideas here, in the event I turn this into a pack, and I've edited that last post too many times!!

Lambent Labyrinth Zone: A dark cave system, that the volcanic paths hinted too, full of tunnels, pits, and lots and lots of water.

Sunken Meadow Zone: A marshy swamp area, full of waterfalls, wet ground, and the runoff water from storms, and the labyrinth, nestled in a mountain valley.

Also, here are the scheduled demo release dates, thus far.

Demo 1: Raging Demon Zone Act 1: 3/17/09
Demo 2: Raging Demon Zone Acts 1,2,3: 5/1/09

Not to get ahead of myself, or anything, this is just when I intend to release the projects, and yes, they will be subject to change.

Triple post, but the last, and only one I do.

srb21150.png

Looks like the same place, and it is, with one major difference, I was slow on progress today, working on other level details, and setting up for a level pack as well.

My advice is to not rush your levels. Take your time on them, for a first level, it's not looking too bad, although I can see flaws. If you rush it then you won't get any good feedback on them because you rushing them to be out, and you would miss out a lot of things to complete your level properly. If you took your time, you would most likely to get better feedback. Also what the others said, make a few levels beofre making a level pack, it just boosts up the confidence, and your skill in making levels.

I am taking my time, I just don't want to take too much time, I'm ironing out the flaws over the next couple weeks, and this isn't my first time making levels either, but yeah, this is the standard issue, mad easy first level, it has a handful of deadly gimmicks, but nothing the average player couldn't handle.

Edit:
srb21151.png

It's a trap!! That's all I'm going to say about this.

Edit 2:
srb21159.png

It's a star post, the question is, where is it, and what lies beyond this door, and also, behold my unoriginal level pack naming.

Edit 3:
srb21160.png

I switched to first person camera view, to leave this screen shot a mystery, as to its location, you'll just have to play the level, when it's released to unlock the secrets to it.

Hm, have you considered using more textures on those walls? I'm seeing a TON of MM8 textures and flats in those screenshots.

Also, if those bridges are "burning", you might want them to not look so much like impervious floating blocks of wood. Make them look worn and jagged, or something.

One last thing. As much as I want to be, I'm no expert on making levels look detailed and pretty. However, be sure to avoid having each act look completely flat and bland. I don't care if all you add are dead flowers everywhere. It will almost always be worth it if you have something to make your level stand out a bit.

Kuja said:
Hm, have you considered using more textures on those walls? I'm seeing a TON of MM8 textures and flats in those screenshots.

Also, if those bridges are "burning", you might want them to not look so much like impervious floating blocks of wood. Make them look worn and jagged, or something.

One last thing. As much as I want to be, I'm no expert on making levels look detailed and pretty. However, be sure to avoid having each act look completely flat and bland. I don't care if all you add are dead flowers everywhere. It will almost always be worth it if you have something to make your level stand out a bit.

There are a lot of details I deliberately kept out of the screen shots, I generally try to keep to a few textures, so as to not over complicate things, and to keep a theme, the bridges aren't old, just a victim of volcanic rock showers, also the release date is officially pushed back to 3/24/09 due to a bunch of days where I couldn't work on it, but rest assured, I'll have it ready by then, and I do intend to add scenery, that's just one of the last steps, and the rest of the first level, will be released on 5/8/09.

srb21165.png

Stare into the mighty flame, yeah, I'm stalling for time again, I intend to accelerate progress soon enough though.

I'd like to say first off that other than minor details (which, from what you tell us, are going to happen), this level pack looks great.
One thing I noticed in the description, though, is something that really bugs me. Run-on sentences. They're not pleasant, nobody really wants to read so much without breaks in between.
Instead of:
Once on the edge of a volcano, you make your way across it, to find evidence of ruins that once stood here, hidden amongst the rocky passages.
Try:
Once on the edge of a volcano, you make your way across it. There is evidence of ruins that once stood here, hidden amongst the rocky passages.

Instead of:
Eggman tries to set off a volcanic eruption, in a quintessential pool of lava, by firing flammable slime into it, your goal, stop him.
Try:
Eggman tries to set off a volcanic eruption in a quintessential pool of lava by firing flammable slime into it. Your goal is to stop him.

Now, while this has nothing to do with the WAD itself, it can be annoying reading with all those commas. It can even sometimes drive away potential downloaders/reviewers.
[/completelyofftopic]

Anyway, I'd really like to see more of this. Can't wait for the finished product!

That's good to hear, you aren't the first one to comment about my commas, and you probably won't be the last. I still have 3 weeks to make it more appealing, and I will use them wisely, I might even include a preview of Act 2, or, maybe not.

The time limit is so I don't take too much time, don't worry, by the time it's done, I would've spent over a month on it, though progress has been slow lately, I intend to pick it up, so you'll have a quality level, by 3/24/09.

srb21166.png

An early version, of the secondary paths, main area, like that big ridge, but inside, with a different gimmick, see if you can figure out what it is.

Small platforms to jump across?
The SRB2 engine and Sonic's design makes this not fun - so make the platforms bigger or use a new gimmick

Edited the wrong post!!

Well, not exactly, there is a little bit of it, but this is an easy level, so it's not something I'm going to focus on, also I intend to do some promo art for this level tomorrow, so get ready for that, and progress has picked up, with a vengeance.

srb21167.png

Another enigmas passage, but where does it lead, what's behind me, and why is my viewsize 12, all will be answered shortly, except the viewsize thing, I did it to hide my bad playing skills.

Edit:
srb21169.png

An elevator, it's amazing what you find in a volcano, just another part, of the harder, side route, you can take, which I'll try to make a feature of all my levels in this pack.

Edit 2:
srb21171.png

It's called a bridge, and there's another one spanning the somewhat vast abyss of fire, the beginning of the end, so to speak, how, you'll find out, on the 24th.

Edit 3:
srb21172.png

This area has significance, the kind of significance that will remain a mystery, until I release it. By the way, the new release dates are as follows, due to delays, and things should be released on Fridays, because it just seems like the right thing to do. Act 1 Demo: 3/27/09, Full Demo: 5/11/09, dates may be subject to change, but I'll try to stick to them.

Edit 4:
srb21174.png

The end of the line, at least for the epic side path.

Sonic Robo Blast 2: The Bonus Levels

Raging Demon Zone: A volcanic mountain range, filled with hidden ruins, traps, and lots and lots of deadly death lava, where Eggman intends to destroy it all, in one fatal volcanic eruption.
Difficulty: Easy

Lambent Labyrinth: The true hidden cave system, of a lost civilization, that was surprisingly advanced, constructing elevators, water slides, and secret sources of energy, where Eggman lurks in the shadows, ready to take you out, after thwarting his plans at total destruction.
Difficulty: Easy

Sunken Meadow: The cave system, led you to a wet valley, where the water drained, the beautiful meadows, and foliage, in covered in a torrent, of water, with a looming storm on the way, where Eggman, once again tries to destroy you, and leave you to drown.
Difficulty: Medium

Doomed Hamlet: In the mountains, to the north of the valley, lies a town, evacuated, and on the verge of collapse, and the turbulent skies overhead, signal an ever greater source of catastrophe, other than mudslides, and falling buildings, where Eggman intends to take you out, and throw your remains to the winds.
Difficulty: Medium

More levels may be on the way, but these are the current planned levels, currently on the level select, which will be revealed in further detail, as progress continues.

srb21177.png

The last screen shot I'm releasing, I want to have some surprises, for you guys, when this is released, from now on, for every other level I make, for this pack, I release a new screen shot every Friday, so I don't spoil everything, like I did in the level, these screen shots are from a work in progress, so they'll look better in the final version, and that's why I double posted, for that important announcement, so you guys have 16 days left, before it's released, and trust me, it WILL be here!!

Features I intend to add

Custom power up music
Custom level music
Minor changes from act to act
A storyline, told through cut scenes
Many different stages, with hidden secrets
In level conversations, between storyline characters
And much more

These too, will be works in progress, so I can't say when they'll be added in, and another note, the time in the screen shot, is an accurate completion time, taking the side path, so get ready for levels, far longer than the official ones, in this pack, and least in some cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back