Tortured Planet v9 (scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, this is because DDZ isn't too long, if you skip all the gimmicks and just go through all the level as fast as you can. Sure that, after complete all the game as fast as I could, I started to look for the secrets, and it took me about 30 minutes every level, except the levels that were bigger, these levels took me about 1h to complete, but I didn't find all of the secrets yet. =)

PLease can you release new version earlier then Chary will complete his songs. It ll obviously take lots of time.

News update: Once again, I'm flat-out replacing a section of a level in Tortured Planet.

Today, I was messing around with GCZ1, and it hit me: why the heck do I insist on keeping that room with the rising sand? Everyone hates it, including myself. It's clearly the worst part of the level, the gimmick is done better in GCZ2, and there's no excuse for it having survived for this long. Well, it is not going to be in v9.0; it has been replaced with something much better.

Additionally, I'm going to see if I can transform the Coop-only path in that area into a full-fledged alternate path, which I plan to be shorter but more intense and difficult.

Last edited:
News update: Once again, I'm flat-out replacing a section of a level in Tortured Planet.

Well, it is not going to be in v9.0.

I haven't completely worked out what will replace it, but it'll probably be some kind of new simple platforming challenge.

Cool, so... how long do we have a wait for the next beta, we clearly can't keep letting the music hold this thing back?!

Cool, so... how long do we have a wait for the next beta, we clearly can't keep letting the music hold this thing back?!
You know what? Right now, I'm leaning towards doing precisely that. Yes, it'll be a very long wait, but I really want this pack to be all it can be before it goes public. If I had all the music, I'd happily release it now, but I'm just not comfortable with a partial release.

I quite understand that many of you don't like this prospect. Hell, as much as I am resolved to do this, I don't like waiting this long either. But this is my creation, and I don't want to compromise on its state. I think I have the right to make this decision.

This is my stand. Who knows? I might change my mind three months from now. But right now, this is how I feel.

However, this is not to say that I will keep v9.0 totally locked away until then. I'm strongly considering some private testing sessions with SpiritCrusher and a few others. This could serve a dual purpose of giving me new leads on what else to add to the new version.

This will be one of the biggest update of the whole pack, no? Can we expect something new in SWZ and AAZ in v9.0?
You can expect a moderate amount of changes, yes. Nothing tremendous, but all of it has been touched up to some extent, particularly SWZ2 and AAZ1.

Last edited:
So... did you happen to move the token in GCZ? I'm always kind of disapointed to find it... Y'know, in such zone, I'd expect to find something that important in some old egyptian tomb, or something like that, not behind a pillar in the second room...

On your request, it has been moved to a different place.

NEWS UPDATE: SpiritCrusher is now the first person on the MB to have a copy of Tortured Planet v9.0. As we speak, he is playtesting it.

Last edited:
NEWS UPDATE: SpiritCrusher is now the first person on the MB to have a copy of Tortured Planet v9.0. As we speak, he is playtesting it.
And because Fawfulfan requested it, I'm gonna write a little "essay" about the new version soon. It will have the double purpose of giving Fawfulfan an idea on what needs to be done and giving you guys a bit of an idea what to expect. Don't nail me down on it though, I might not have it finished until next weekend.

I wanna know a little about the NEW Star Showdown cutscene. It must tell how did Sonic,Tails and Knux got to the star (wat). Or you should put a transition stage in the next versions, just like Sky Chase was in Sonic 2 (It explained how did Sonic and Tails got to the Wing Fortress).

I wanna know a little about the NEW Star Showdown cutscene. It must tell how did Sonic,Tails and Knux got to the star (wat). Or you should put a transition stage in the next versions, just like Sky Chase was in Sonic 2 (It explained how did Sonic and Tails got to the Wing Fortress).
Why is this important? They just got there.

I'm gonna quote BlueZero on this one, SpiritCrusher.
Whenever you're mapping (or doing anything creative), you need to ask yourself questions. Even though this might sound a little counter-intuitive, the answers you give to your own questions are truly how you create stuff. For example:
WHY is the player here?
Next: How did the player get here? It looks like you've teleported your player here. Did the architects of this ruin expect your hero, so they built a teleporter room to receive him? Or did he force his way in so he teleports into the ruin's sewer system? Why is this hallway at the beginning so important?
SSZ doesn't really ANSWER any of what BlueZero said on the second paragraph. There's no teleporter beginning that the player's standing on, no door you come trough to meet the boss, you just appear there. How magical...( That said in a Sonic game *rolls eyes*, still, you got my point.)

You misunderstood him. What BZ4 meant is that the progression of the level should explain itself. In that case, the level began in a hallway of a building. The obvious question is "What is he doing here? How did he get into this building? Does it even make sense to start the player off out of nowhere?" What he didn't mean is that we need to know how the player got into a zone. We just need to know how he gets to certain places inside a level, and that is explained by the level architecture. The solution in the aforementioned case would have been to start the level before the player gets into the building, or right at the entrance.

In the case of a boss, well, there's just one room anyway. If the player doesn't travel through the level, there's no need to explain how he gets from A to B. At this point, the only thing that it concerns is the storyline. And that is bonus information pretty much.

While I don't particularly care whether or not a transition is added in this scenario, I do see your point, Metal. In a levelpack that is meant to follow a story (essentially be it's own stand-alone game), transitions between areas are helpful. But then again, only to people who actually care about the plot. I've noticed that plot is not a key thing among most folks in this community. But some do care (like me, and probably you.)

Heck, I'm so obsessive compulsive about it that the levels in my "The Chase is on" levelpack actually begin in the ending room of the previous level. Like, for example, the boss of one stage takes place in a control room, and the next level begins in that room, with a ventilation shaft leading outdoors to the content of that level.

It just depends what your priorities are, I guess, and while I appreciate that Fawfulfan has taken the time to create a plot, I'm sure half the people who have played the pack don't bother to read it.

You misunderstood him.
I'm going to pull Death of the Author here, because I'm not quite sure what I meant myself, but I still like SpiritCrusher's interpretation. Also, I'm not quite sure I practice what I preach, so my posts should probably be taken with a grain of salt.

Although, what with Fawfulfan's heavy stress on story himself, I think Metal-Rawr's interpretation is just as valid as SpiritCrusher's. Though I think story in SRB2 should be more of literary sub-layer shown in the level design than a blatant cutscene-driven affair. Imagine describing an ancient race's lifestyle through their ruins; it's there if the player looks for it it but not forced down anyone's throats. Not that I make story-driven SRB2 levels, so what do I know.

I also think that Fawfulfan isn't required to care what people think and is entitled to just do what feels good for his level. (Though, that attitude seems the antithesis of Tortured Planet.)

Oh man, check out this pathetic comment from someone I found on Youtube.

I forgot who made that tortured planet but he has no life(on offense) spendin all day makin these long ass levels. I can't even spend 30 minutes makin a level.

Oh man, check out this pathetic comment from someone I found on Youtube.

I forgot who made that tortured planet but he has no life(on offense) spendin all day makin these long ass levels. I can't even spend 30 minutes makin a level.

Well, if he doesn't like long levels, so nobody can change his mind.But I think that it wasn't necessary post his comment here, as it won't change anything in Tortured Planet. =P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back