• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Let's make a disgustingly big collab map in 24 HOURS - 24hrSRB2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krabs

he/him
Sonic Team Junior
attachment.php

Here's an idea we've been discussing in #mapping on the srb2 discord for a while. Basically, we're gonna try to make a giant collab map by splitting up the work into chunks. Each participant be allowed a 4096x4096 chunk of map which will be spliced into a monstrosity of a map. It might not even be fun to play in the end, but who cares? Let's have fun with it.

GUIDELINES
The golden rule: Don't ruin everything
- You're given a lot of freedom in this little box, especially since most kinds of custom assets are allowed. As long as you can reasonably get from the entrance to the exit and you don't have crazy Lua that affects other people's portions of the map, you're probably good. Just, uhh, don't script a 100 hour long jrpg into your chunk. Crazy stuff is fine if it doesn't overstay it's welcome!

How the chunks work
- EVERYTHING must fit in your 4096x4096 chunk, with height restrictions of -4096 to +4096.
- Yes, even your control sectors. Yes, even your skybox. Don't let those things touch the border.

Entrances and exits
- Should be 512 fracunits wide. This width only applies to the part that touches the edge of the 4096x4096 box.
- Floor-to-ceiling height should be 512. You can place the opening at any height you want, but the size of the opening must be 512 vertically.
- Have at least 1 entrance and 1 exit. Maximum of 2 entrances, 2 exits.
- Entrances should be marked with a Player start of some kind.
- Exits are marked with a Starpost (don't worry about starpost ID numbers)
- Use a line with block enemies at the end of all your entrances/exits
- An entrance is defined as any sector that borders the 4096 horizontal boundary of your chunk.
- Don't let any sectors (even control sectors, skybox) touch the boundary if it's not an entrance/exit!

Tags
- You will be assigned a Tag range of 200 tags, such as "1-200" or "201 - 400". Don't be the one dummy who ignores it.
- Seriously though, don't go and put some linedef effect on tag 0, and don't use tag 65535.

Custom stuff
- Textures, flats, sprites, soc, sound effects, and lua, for better or for worse, ARE allowed.
- Music is NOT allowed.
- Map headers aren't allowed either. If you need to change the weather, sky, etc, do it by covering all your entrances and exits in linedef executors. Unless, for some reason, you really want the chunk next to you to decide what your sky looks like.
- Don't use linedef executors to change music.
- Please PLEASE be careful with lua. If your scripts mess with other people's stuff, we might have to reject you. I really don't want people to get rejected...
- In the spirit of the 24 hour event, generally try and make your stuff DURING the 24 hour period. We'll go on the honor system here.

Skyboxes
- You cannot use a skybox unless you request one by saying something along the lines of "I'm in, skybox please."
- As far as I know, there's a limit of 16 skybox IDs (0 through 15), so they will be given on a first come first serve basis.
- Please don't ask for a skybox unless you're sure you want one.
- Use the skybox ID assigned to you
- It's YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to make sure the entrances and exits of your room properly activate your skybox.

Zoom tube sequences and other unique setups that can cause conflicts
- Make a new post and ask for what you need, and I'll reserve it for you.
- If you have any questions, just ask. I'll try and figure something out.

Misc
- Don't use emerald tokens
- Keep Polyobjects within your tag range
- If you need to have a Polyobject trigger a linedef executor, you can use the tags [Your Tag Range + 32000]

Map splicing
- Thanks in advance to map guru sphere who has generously offered to splice this thing together at the end.
- Expect your map to be re-positioned to fit together in a playable way. No complaining.
- Seriously, if your entrance/exit needs to be stretched or something, or if your entire room needs to be moved vertically, it will be done.
- By participating, you give full permission to have your work adjusted or rejected in order to preserve the playability of the final product.
HOW TO SUBMIT
Simply add a new reply before the deadline and attach your map as a wad/pk3 file. Submissions begin at 5AM EST on the 25th. Just make sure you are following the guidelines...

PARTICIPANTS LIST, ASSIGNED TAGS, ETC.:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QsQM6lIwk12aKGBvDBEJZp6nh0AnkL-vqv2c9mKPfnA/edit?usp=sharing

The deadline is 5PM Eastern Standard Time on the 25th. SUBMISSIONS BEGIN AT 5AM, AND END AT 5PM.
Countdown to end

The theme is: nothing, literally just forget the theme thing, I messed up.

Please bear with me, since I've never organized something like this before. It might be great, it might be a trainwreck. Feel free to post your progress here (or on #mapping, since everyone is doing that). I wanna see gifs and everything. Have fun, and make something sick.

Attachments

• ohno.png
    ohno.png
    122.6 KB · Views: 1,703
Last edited:
I'm in (of course), with a skybox.

By the way, don't even include the word skybox in your post if you don't want one. I might misread something, ha. And don't freak out if I don't add you to the list quickly! I'm still tweaking the guidelines a little, but I will make sure they don't change once we begin.

Last edited:
No skybox for me.

Also, to everyone participating, please don't hesitate to ask questions about any doubts you may have about the guidelines, either here or in #mapping so we can avoid potential conflicts. Good luck!

I'm in. Will need a skybox.

UPDATE: Can be start/end room unless I say otherwise.

Last edited:
Might want to make an originial texture for it like maybe Toad.

Attachments

• CHMYZ3Z7.png
    CHMYZ3Z7.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 1,471
Last edited:
I wasn't quite interested in this at first, but I'll do it just for fun, whatever.
I'm in. I'll probably do something simple with vanilla assets, but who knows, I might get brainstormed by ideas with the theme later on.

Figure I have nothing better to do, and besides, the practice might be useful later on.

Hand over that skybox, by the way, I actually have an idea somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back