SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion

Old 1 Day Ago   #21
Moose the Fat Cat

It was overall fun to watch this YouTuber's playthrough (I enjoyed his sidekick in particular) but it was a bit painful watching the last third of Woolie's campaign as he was still struggling with basic movement even at the end (due in part to skipping a lot of "lessons" with Tails)

If "Autobrake" can be a menu option for advanced players, I don't see why "Homing Assist" couldn't also be a menu option for relative beginner players, like Woolie.

Last edited by Moose the Fat Cat; 1 Day Ago at 12:09 AM.
Moose the Fat Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #22
fickleheart
ms reflec beat stan

Your car racing analogy is pretty hilariously indicative of someone who's never driven a car fast outside of Mario Kart, but that's beside the point.

What does that extra layer of control offer, either to skilled players or new players, that makes up for complicating the process of coming to a stop? If I want to move at a speed below my maximum in the air, it's pretty simple to tap a movement key in a particular rhythm to stay there, and nothing in SRB2 that you'd expect a human to be capable of doing needs exacting momentum control beyond that. If I want to adjust to a specific angle outside of straight forward or diagonal, it's easier to adjust my camera to line up than to try to get there with gentle taps of movement keys. (Both of these even become easier when playing on an analog stick, which offers finer control.) If I'm moving above my maximum speed, momentarily releasing the movement key to slow down works exactly the same as holding backward would without autobrake anyway.

On the other hand, autobrake offers the ability to come to a quick stop without moving my finger out from above the W key, allowing me to get back to moving forward much quicker. It also gives the ability to come to a total stop in mid-air and drop straight down, which is practically impossible without autobrake if only due to how difficult is it to judge your precise momentum in the air. (Some shield abilities mitigate this, but they're situational and have their own tradeoffs.)

I can see disabling autobrake just as a preference because you've played the game for years and prefer it that way, but I don't think it actually offers any objective benefit to the gameplay to do so.
Old 1 Day Ago   #23
Dabir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose the Fat Cat View Post
it was a bit painful watching the last third of Woolie's campaign as he was still struggling with basic movement even at the end (due in part to skipping a lot of "lessons"
This is often the Woolie experience honestly. I like the guy but he can be infuriating. Latches on to some things really hard and never lets go, or gets really disappointed when something he assumed on no evidence turns out to be wrong. He played through the whole of Knights of the Old Republic with combat automatically pausing after every turn just in case he needed to abuse the bug that lets you use two medkits in one turn. Not to discount his experience as there's plenty of other people who approach games like that out there, but be aware of where he's coming from.

E: Also, he will have been conscious of the audience and having to keep the momentum going for them, hence skipping platforming sections that he probably would have taken the time to figure out if he was playing it on his own time. Most people don't want to see the guy struggle and fail on the same couple of jumps over and over. It's his job to not bore them, after all.

Last edited by Dabir; 1 Day Ago at 12:57 AM.
Dabir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #24
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

Fickle, I get that it's more complicated. There are additional steps involved in manual braking, and that's why it's not default! However all of the things you describe doing with automatic braking can indeed be done with the manual braking, and if you've practiced with it it's just as natural. Turning auto-brake on actively makes me play way worse. I actually rely on the manual braking, and I've seen others who feel the same.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with you for preferring the auto-brake. You are free to control the game however you'd like. However there is merit to the manual braking giving the player options that the auto-brake disallows. I object to your statements that manual braking provides no gains and auto-brake should be forced when in fact I know that for a significant percentage of people that's not the case. Just because a control method is less accessible does not make it inferior or useless.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Hours Ago   #25
CobaltBW
Community Noise Maker
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
Fickle, I get that it's more complicated. There are additional steps involved in manual braking, and that's why it's not default! However all of the things you describe doing with automatic braking can indeed be done with the manual braking, and if you've practiced with it it's just as natural. Turning auto-brake on actively makes me play way worse. I actually rely on the manual braking, and I've seen others who feel the same.
This is kind of what I was trying to elude to, though I don't think I explained it concisely.

It effectively comes down to muscle memory. Changing the autobrake is a lot like changing the air friction, and many players who've been around the block for a while may be used to how little friction Sonic has in the air and using that to their advantage to allow for more granular control, just as they're used to having to hold back to reduce it further.

I've tried autobrake on and autobrake off and I've found them both to play fine. While autobrake off does add an extra step, it isn't so complicated that I would say it is directly inferior; at the same time, Sonic's rate of change in air control is so granular either way that I don't think autobrake off provides anything incredibly unique over autobrake on. They're just two means to the same end.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Hours Ago   #26
Moose the Fat Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabir View Post
This is often the Woolie experience honestly. I like the guy but he can be infuriating. Latches on to some things really hard and never lets go, or gets really disappointed when something he assumed on no evidence turns out to be wrong. He played through the whole of Knights of the Old Republic with combat automatically pausing after every turn just in case he needed to abuse the bug that lets you use two medkits in one turn. Not to discount his experience as there's plenty of other people who approach games like that out there, but be aware of where he's coming from.

E: Also, he will have been conscious of the audience and having to keep the momentum going for them, hence skipping platforming sections that he probably would have taken the time to figure out if he was playing it on his own time. Most people don't want to see the guy struggle and fail on the same couple of jumps over and over. It's his job to not bore them, after all.
I haven't watched him before, but you're right that a lot of other people who approach games like he does. (I don't, personally, but I'm also not recording my play-throughs and narrating over them.)

It's valuable to see him play as a "rookie" though because it gives you some additional empirical data of where beginners get frustrated.

It's not that the customer/player's complaints are always valid usually the opposite, right but if the same note keeps coming up in different places, then it's probably worth looking into.
Moose the Fat Cat is offline   Reply With Quote