SRB2 for Dreamcast Beta 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
You use SelfBoot to create a Nero image and burn it. It isn't hard. Seeing as you have an image already, it also isn't necessary, but still.

Seems to be a major headline on both DCEmulation and DCHomebrew now...

Anywho, I've pretty much settled on ceasing all attempts to get this to work. I've tried making an autoexec.cfg to deal with the intro, but it doesn't work. It CAN'T work, since I told it to load Mystic Realm, but wound up with vanilla SRB2. Since I need a keyboard to actually do anything, and I don't have one (nor do I want one!), I'm holding off for when the DC controller's supported fully - or at least enough that I can start the bloody game. A muted intro that resets two-thirds of the way through, and nothing more, is a waste of a CD-R.

Unless, of course, somebody's willing to offer me a CDI file of the game, with the controller actually allowing the menu to pop up.

For the people that don't want to burn multiple CDs, why not try a multisession CD?

Dreamcast supports those. You just need to use something like DCHakker?

It should work fine for you people. The tutorial's linked to in the description of the tool.

Major kudos for bringing this up. Maybe it'll inject some more life into the DC community. It could sure use it.

Ok, right..... :)

Beta 3 is out now 8)

man, small text and emoticons are fun to do!

and away I go! :twisted:

*puff*

Beta 3's a big improvement, seeing as I can now actually start a game. Froze loading THZ1, but it might just be that one time, and even if it isn't, I can live with that for now.

I can't wait for sound personally, I like the sound track a lot and it doesn't feel the same without hearing the classic ring pickup sound.

This is exciting stuff, I hope to also see an XBOX port since the Legacy port for that has been abandoned. :/

There is a free SDK in the works for it too!

I'll check out the DC beta tonight, then I may check into editing and the like.

So how much like Legacy is SRB2? Or is it drastically different?

Can I use DOOM Builder?

XDelusion said:
This is exciting stuff, I hope to also see an XBOX port since the Legacy port for that has been abandoned. :/
Yes, there is one in the works, it complies with both XDK and OpenXDK

XDelusion said:
There is a free SDK in the works for it too!
yes, but without a working alloca() in OpenXDK, it only works to a point

XDelusion said:

there are some changes, but mostly in names of lumps, linedefs changes, and stuff like that, but I'm not a WADder myself, just a programmer

XDelusion said:
Can I use DOOM Builder?
Yes you can

XDelusion said:

Well, I know a long time ago, one of the coders cut out anything Doom related that SRB2 wasn't using at the time, to help reduce the filesize of the EXE. So if you're expecting to re-edit SRB2 back to the Doom Guy blasting through Hell, you're in for a challenge.

But besides that, mapping is pretty similiar - but SRB2 uses different things. Most standard Doom triggers don't work in SRB2. Instead, it works via control/tag sectors. There's quite a lot of fun stuff in SRB2 that wasn't in regular Doom, or even Legacy, as far as I know, like "Linedef Executors" (when the player triggers a linedef exec, you can do all sorts of fun things like execute scripts, change the music of the level, raise/lower water levels, teleport stuff, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back