Sonic Robo Blast 2 Switch Port

heyjoeway

Sonic Robo Blast 2 for the Nintendo Switch

attachment.php

SRB2 is finally playable on the Nintendo Switch! Not really sure what else to say except the notes below. Big thanks to carstene1ns for his work on the initial port; I really only did some polishing work to get this up and running. The game mostly runs at its full framerate (35 FPS).

I've moved most of the details of this post to GitHub in order to make it easier to maintain. Check the link below for the instructions, download, and source.

Download
https://github.com/heyjoeway/SRB2/blob/switch-port/README.md

Attachments

• A8bx2lU.png
    A8bx2lU.png
    35.9 KB · Views: 26,738
  • srb2switch_2.1.25.nro.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 2,412
Last edited:
Obligatory: You jailbreak and run homebrew software on your switch at your own risk. STJr and the SRB2MB takes no responsibility for the results of doing so.

Hey all, I've just updated the port, and I think it's nearly feature-complete at this point. Some of the notable changes include:

- Online support (!!!)
- Mouse/keyboard support (yes, mouse support)
- Software keyboard support for text fields/console
- Add-ons menu fixed

Make sure to read the update notes if you've already downloaded this.

Yo, this is a total dream come true! Just, ah, one big issue: I don't want to hack my one and only Nintendo Switch and lose a lot because of it (e.g. get my Nintendo Network account banned).

Disregarding the lowering popularity of the 3DS, I'm also supposing this absolutely kills the chance of there ever being a port of SRB2 on what I believe is the #1 console to hack, unless there is some way to backwards engineer this onto the 3DS.

It mostly... works. Sometimes it randomly crashes and gives a black screen...

Disregarding the lowering popularity of the 3DS, I'm also supposing this absolutely kills the chance of there ever being a port of SRB2 on what I believe is the #1 console to hack, unless there is some way to backwards engineer this onto the 3DS.

Pssst, it already exists. It's just missing stuff this port has, like online support.

Pssst, it already exists. It's just missing stuff this port has, like online support.

Oh.
My.
Gosh.
Thank you. Thank you tons. This stuff is really hard to look for (at least, for me). And if it's just online support, I'm honestly alright with that. Barely ever played online myself. But thank you so much, seriously! Now I just need to get this into my console and see how it runs.

I’ve been playing this nonstop since its release using Sonic Mania as the “host game” for HBmenu and I can confirm the ports works almost flawlessly for the entirety of the single player campaign.

What works:
• All single player campaign stages from start to end
• All NIGHTS stages, including both secret ones
• All unlockable regular levels
• All emblems in the game can be collected properly

What doesn’t work:
• No music playback in stages that use MIDI, including WADs

Other stuff:
• While everything runs at amazingly solid frame rates, dips can happen in NIGHTS stages at maximum rendering distance, making them disorienting
DO NOT CONNECT TO NETGAMES WITHOUT A PROPER NINTENDO BLOCKING DNS! Going online on a homebrew application could easily mark your account for an online ban. Even if nothing crashes, make sure you set a DNS up such as 90DNS before playing online

Will edit this post if I find any other oddities online, but as of the time of writing: this port is great

alright I knew you guys were insane but I didn't realize you were THIS INSANE, getting this to work on the switch? absolute madlads you lot are. great work, can't wait to see this go further

Hey all,

Just updated the port to enable the inline software keyboard. Basically, you can use the software keyboard while online now, which also means full software keyboard chat support! Enjoy!

No rush or anything, but will a 2.1.25 update be in the works?

I've been away for the weekend; I'll try and get a build up tonight. If I don't, it should be up tomorrow. I'll try to automate the build process a bit after this (buildbot?) so that when the inevitable releases of 2.2 - 2.2.xx come I'll be able to put out builds more efficiently.

I've been away for the weekend; I'll try and get a build up tonight. If I don't, it should be up tomorrow. I'll try to automate the build process a bit after this (buildbot?) so that when the inevitable releases of 2.2 - 2.2.xx come I'll be able to put out builds more efficiently.

Sounds great, thanks! Take as much time as you need.

Hey all,

Discovered an issue with yesterday's release that resulted in the software keyboard not working properly. If you've already downloaded it, re-download the update patch and you should be good to go. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Thanks fpr the updates! KIMOKAWAIII is a great time, but it does also remind me of the lack of MIDI support. That's no dealbreaker, but I was wondering if MIDI support is a possibility for a future update?

So, it's finally time huh? I've recompiled 2.1.25 so that people revisiting it in the future don't have input issues. Can't guarantee that I'll have 2.2 done this weekend (no particular reason) but it should be available Soon(TM), as always. I've also moved installation/general info to GitHub to make it easier to maintain.

Thanks fpr the updates! KIMOKAWAIII is a great time, but it does also remind me of the lack of MIDI support. That's no dealbreaker, but I was wondering if MIDI support is a possibility for a future update?

I've added it as an issue on GitHub, but it's probably not something I'll be working on, sadly.

So, since mods for 2.2 are closed right now, I'll have to put this here: 2.2 Switch port is ready. Check the GitHub link in the OP.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back