• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

General project screenshot/video thread

More specifically, your shell is too almond-shaped; the shell should curve less drastically.

I see what you mean, I'll work on that.
I might have to get help with the other directional sprites, but I can do front/back and the sides.
For the running animation he'll be curled up in a ball like in the game.

Might be a bad Idea. if he's in a ball while running, players will think he's rolling and try to run into the badniks.

...unless with the power of Lua you make it so that he DOES actually roll and cause damage to enemies if he's fast enough. To compensate (and for the fact Poly does actually do this in his home game), you could make him simply perform a spring jump and make him take damage upon touching an enemy. Would make for a different style of gameplay as the focus becomes more on moving on ground than in air.

...unless with the power of Lua you make it so that he DOES actually roll and cause damage to enemies if he's fast enough. To compensate (and for the fact Poly does actually do this in his home game), you could make him simply perform a spring jump and make him take damage upon touching an enemy. Would make for a different style of gameplay as the focus becomes more on moving on ground than in air.

^ Now we're getting somewhere

Seconded, I think Jasper is on a roll (pun intended), his ideas sound good.

Should he be that controllable at all while running though? Maybe he could stay that speed until he crashes into something perhaps? Just some extra thoughts.

You know, this should be a group effort.
Everyone could contribute ideas.
Me & some other spriters work on the sprites.
And some people who know Lua could help with the scripts.
It would be like, the perfect tribute to SSNTails!
...I can dream, can't I? :P

Maintaining a speed and being unable to stop in mid-roll sounds kinda neat, or maybe have it so the physics work similarily to SRB2's normal roll physics. He's normally able to turn and jump while rolling, so those should still be in there. Not sure about strafing but it could work.

inb4 spindash is him putting himself

How's this?
Rolypoly.gif

I whipped the script up in two seconds, and it adds an odd twist onto moving around. True to Roly Poly's style, the more momentum you build up, the faster you spin after entering running frames. So if you jump and thok, you'll go really fast. If you just run along the ground, you won't move as fast as you could, but you'll have a bit more control. Do bear in mind this is an incredibly simple thing and probably not what we're aiming for, but it offers a glimpse as to the playstyle Roly Poly would bring. I imagine something more complex would be implemented for movement.
Code:
addHook("ThinkFrame", do
	for player in players.iterate
                if (player.mo and player.mo.skin == "sonic")
                        if not (player.pflags & PF_NIGHTSMODE)
                        and (player.panim == PA_RUN)
                                player.mo.state = S_PLAY_ATK1
                                player.pflags = $1|PF_SPINNING
                        end
                end
        end
end)

Last edited:
How's this?
-clip-
I whipped the script up in two seconds, and it adds an odd twist onto moving around. True to Roly Poly's style, the more momentum you build up, the faster you spin after entering running frames. So if you jump and thok, you'll go really fast. If you just run along the ground, you won't move as fast as you could, but you'll have a bit more control. Do bear in mind this is an incredibly simple thing and probably not what we're aiming for, but it offers a glimpse as to the playstyle Roly Poly would bring. I imagine something more complex would be implemented for movement.
Code:
addHook("ThinkFrame", do
	for player in players.iterate
                if (player.mo and player.mo.skin == "sonic")
                        if not (player.pflags & PF_NIGHTSMODE)
                        and (player.panim == PA_RUN)
                                player.mo.state = S_PLAY_ATK1
                                player.pflags = $1|PF_SPINNING
                        end
                end
        end
end)

It's great! It might need some tweaking, though.
And I'm still working on the sprites. I'm currently fixing up the shell and the shading.
We'd also have to remove the spinitem, because that would just look strange on Poly.

EDIT: NOW we're getting somewhere on the shading. It still looks weird as hell but better. I also fixed the shell as you all suggested.

h1um0pf.png

Last edited:
The whole sprite looks pillow shaded (which is bad if you don't know what that means).

Here are some examples on what I mean by pillow shading:

Why do you keep assuming I don't know anything?
Anyway, yeah I know it's pillow shaded. I'm not good at shading.

Well I would like to see if the new Sonic and Tails sprites for srb2 addition is true. A snapshot or something wouldn't do bad, right?

This isn't a "haggle screenshots of other people's stuff" thread. He'll post when he pleases, not when you beg for it.

This isn't a "haggle screenshots of other people's stuff" thread. He'll post when he pleases, not when you beg for it.

Didn't actually begged for it, I just said I would like to see a screenshot. Please, read 10 times before posting something wrong about what I posted.

Why do you keep assuming I don't know anything?
Anyway, yeah I know it's pillow shaded. I'm not good at shading.

You know its bad, yet you do it. And when confronted to improve, you talk yourself down again in a way that directs attention to yourself. If that's your attitude and repetitive cycle, I could hardly care less anymore.

Okay, I'm gonna try again, this time with something a little more decent
352q8hd.png

And yes, I'm currently waiting on the owner's response for permission (my confidence tells me it might not make it through) and even if it doesn't, I will continue on it, and make something that I call, *progress*

Again, it's only a stick figure and your not bettering your abilities by making it.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back