locks up on me

Status
Not open for further replies.

CGally

I had this problem before, but now I'm having it again. SRB2 has locked up on me twice, in the past half hour. It would lock up within like 5 minutes after I start.

What causes this? I had BitTorrent running in the background - do other programs somehow interfere with SRB2? I also had to upgrade my graphics card and get a Radeon X800 XL after my old card fried. Could that have anything to do with it?

One word. BitTorrent.

SRB2 by itself takes a crapload of RAM, but with BitTorrent and a few other big-memory consuming programs you can pretty much blow the PC. Close BitTorrent and chances are it will run better.

This belongs in Suggestions and Help.

If you're running in OpenGL, it may be locking up on you. Someone else had a problem like that and found out something was faulty with his hardware.

I, personally, love it, especially with fog at 300, it looks beautiful.

No, I'm just saying that I know someone (sonicblur) who was having his computer lock up when he was playing in OpenGL.

Actually, the same thing happened to me, now that I think about it. I just got a new vid card, and OGL works great, as you can see via my previous post.

It locks up even if I run only the game and nothing else, after resetting my computer.

I had this problem before with OpenGL mode, and it somehow went away...now that I got my new graphics card, the Radeon X800 XL, it is having this problem again. I hate not being able to play in OpenGL mode. It looks and runs superior to software rendering mode.

Are there any ways to get around this or fix this? No other games give me this problem at all.

I believe I have the latest ATI drivers, I don't think that could be it.

The power supply in your computer may not be powerful enough to run the X800. I think that's what the other guy ended up finding out.

SSNTails said:
The power supply in your computer may not be powerful enough to run the X800. I think that's what the other guy ended up finding out.

No, other games work fine. Also, I used to have the locking up problem in the past, but it somehow went away...with this new graphics card, it's here again, and seems to be here to stay?

Probably reason: your computer sucks, like the my one.
Suggestion: back-up your files and change of computer.

My computer is bad and doesn't have that problem, so I can't imagine how will be that computer...

CGally said:
SSNTails said:

No, other games work fine. Also, I used to have the locking up problem in the past, but it somehow went away...with this new graphics card, it's here again, and seems to be here to stay?

Yeah, other games worked fine for him, too. SRB2 just shows any problems your computer might have.

I have upgraded my computer again and reinstalled Windows XP.

With my AMD Athlon 64, my Radeon X800, and my 2 GB of RAM, this game locks up on OpenGL mode, so I stopped using OpenGL mode altogether.

Really annoying. I think the game's OpenGL code might have heavy flaws. Other OpenGL applications seem to work fine.

I realize this is not your fault, but rather, the fault of whoever did the OpenGL code for Doom Legacy Project. I'm glad at least we have the option of Software rendering mode, even if it doesn't look as good or run as smooth (runs at 60 with 320x200 resolution at least; it's playable).

Yeah, that's why I say OpenGL is terrible.

Both OpenGL and Software mode are locked in at 35fps... neither runs any smoother than the other.

Yeah, but one has texture filtering and support for hardware-accelerated features. :P

Anyways, SRB2 runs fine here on my ATI Radeon X1800 XL with my AMD Athlon 64 X2 processor. Only problem I faced was the strange problem with the ASM code crashing it at startup. That's when I got a special EXE compiled just for me with that code removed. Though I believe AJ, Logan, and the other coders will do something about it in the future, so that I don't need a special version.

Actually, the 35FPS limit kinda bothers me. Is it at all possible to add a boolean value, accessible in the console, that determines whether that lock is in place or not, or would allowing the game to run at higher than 35 FPS also result in extraordinarily faster gameplay instead of just smoother animation? I want an effect similar to ZDOOM, where you know it's running at a better framerate even though the gameplay is more or less identical.

I think ZDoom cheats and just gives you a higher framerate while turning.

To have a 'true' higher framerate, you need asynchronous network code and separate timers for the game events. It's not as easy as flipping a switch or something. All video games have some kind of FPS that they have to lock on to, even if they are 'variable'.

I don't think so, considering how smoothly the things that are actually moving move...

Well whatever it's doing, I like the effect, and would like to see something similar in SRB2. If possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back