• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SLW Sonic joins 2.2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huracán

Dude
Sonic lost world Sonic The Hedgehog, Joins srb2 as a modded character!
Thanks to ClassicNC Fres, Trevor The Hedgehog, Dark The Hedgehog, Motdspork, Sonic and kirby fan for beta testing, and Sonic CD
:)

Attachments

• srb20290.gif
    srb20290.gif
    344.3 KB · Views: 1,952
  • srb20291.gif
    srb20291.gif
    4.1 MB · Views: 1,627
  • srb20292.gif
    srb20292.gif
    4.5 MB · Views: 1,299
Last edited:
Did you actually get permission from the creators of the individual scripts you're using here this time?

nice preview already, but I wish the shoes on the sprites were fitting with the CSS artwork

Alright so.. I've been eyeing this thread for a while now trying to formulate what I want to say without coming off as mean but... I've got a few questions to make about this project.

First, what IS that custom color
It's so overly saturated it's really hard to look at, it's like you've removed half of the color's shading and made the highlights literally pure white. If you're trying to replicate how Sonic looks in Lost World, you should take into consideration that 3D models (and therefor, their textures) are a whole different beast than 2D sprites. It may look like Sonic's one flat color but it works due to the engine's lighting, to put it simply. 2D sprites require the shading to look good - and you're removing it.

Secondly, the CSS colors are inconsistent with the actual sprites, plus it looks... wrong. It's unsaturated for some reason and his shoes have a gray soles?

Thirdly, the life icon looks super choppy and pixelated. It's even cut off from the top. At this point it'd look far better to try and replicate lost world's hud all together. Right now it looks incredibly lazy, like you copy pasted the icon and didn't bother to do anything more than that.

Fourthly, the jump/spin sprites are just... a blue ball. With slight wobbling from what I can tell. To be honest it just looks terrible, I don't see the reason to remove the perfectly alright ROLL frames. Are you trying to replicate the jump from SLW? To be frank it's still not pretty there either, it's just a blue ball. You have the sprites, why remove them?

And finally, this is just... a mishmash of lua. That you didn't make. Sure, you say you got permission to use these but honestly? This feels like 90% other people's work and the rest is just you compiling it. I could be wrong, you could have further plans to work on with this project but I implore you to put in some work to polishing this character if you seriously care for it.

Even then, I don't feel this justifies as a separate "character", might as well just make it a Lua modification for vanilla Sonic.

bruh

Alright so.. I've been eyeing this thread for a while now trying to formulate what I want to say without coming off as mean but... I've got a few questions to make about this project.

First, what IS that custom color
It's so overly saturated it's really hard to look at, it's like you've removed half of the color's shading and made the highlights literally pure white. If you're trying to replicate how Sonic looks in Lost World, you should take into consideration that 3D models (and therefor, their textures) are a whole different beast than 2D sprites. It may look like Sonic's one flat color but it works due to the engine's lighting, to put it simply. 2D sprites require the shading to look good - and you're removing it.

Secondly, the CSS colors are inconsistent with the actual sprites, plus it looks... wrong. It's unsaturated for some reason and his shoes have a gray soles?

Thirdly, the life icon looks super choppy and pixelated. It's even cut off from the top. At this point it'd look far better to try and replicate lost world's hud all together. Right now it looks incredibly lazy, like you copy pasted the icon and didn't bother to do anything more than that.

Fourthly, the jump/spin sprites are just... a blue ball. With slight wobbling from what I can tell. To be honest it just looks terrible, I don't see the reason to remove the perfectly alright ROLL frames. Are you trying to replicate the jump from SLW? To be frank it's still not pretty there either, it's just a blue ball. You have the sprites, why remove them?

And finally, this is just... a mishmash of lua. That you didn't make. Sure, you say you got permission to use these but honestly? This feels like 90% other people's work and the rest is just you compiling it. I could be wrong, you could have further plans to work on with this project but I implore you to put in some work to polishing this character if you seriously care for it.

Even then, I don't feel this justifies as a separate "character", might as well just make it a Lua modification for vanilla Sonic.
its still in beta bruh i never said it was complete, i also never said if anything was going to be final

Last edited:
The jump frames were my idea :/
I just thought it would make more sense since in lost world, when he jumps he's just a ball. And even I'll admit it looks hella off.

Last edited:
its still in beta bruh i never said it was complete, i also never said if anything was going to be final

Good to know you're planning to keep working on this, but I seriously want to ask. What exactly are you planning to keep "working on" since EVERYTHING lua related is done by someone else and finished already? Are you planning to make unique sprites? And by that I don't mean "recolor sonic's soles and wham, new sonic". I do believe we've come to a point where we have too many Sonics to be honest, but I wouldn't mind this just being an "SLW Lua Mod" where it just applies the compiled code to vanilla Sonic, instead of creating yet another character slot.

It would have also been nice to know your take on each segment that I critisized instead of deflecting with "its still beta bruh nothing is final". Even ClassicNC commented about one of them. And since I'm talking about it,

The jump frames were my idea :/
I just thought it would make more sense since in lost world, when he jumps he's just a ball. And even I'll admit it looks hella off.

You definitely had your head in the right place, dont get me wrong. You wanted to replicate the source game, so it's alright. I do recommend that, moving forward, you ask yourself if it's worth replicating something 1 to 1, and if it doesn't make it objectively worse in comparison.
For example, if you were working on a Sonic 06 mod, would you include the game breaking bugs? Even if they made the character unenjoyable?

Also, you can do something similar to Lost World, but giving it more flair. Give it a custom spinball, kinda like Neo Sonic's jumpball.

The thing that makes it off IMO is the lack of bounce. In Sonic Lost World the ball squash and stretched as you jumped, which helped a bit with making it feel better than a simple spinning sphere. If at all possible, I'd suggest making it squash and stretch based on speed if you really, REALLY want to keep it as the ball it is- so that when you're going faster it looks as though Sonic is- well. Squashing and stretching due to the speed and momentum in the air.
I don't mind the palette look, but I do agree it looks off. I'd suggest laying out your current plans for what you'll be doing so people know what you intend to do, and can offer better constructive criticism.

Here's a suggestion to start with for explaining, if you can't think of a good way to put it.
1: Explain what you intend to do to the sprites and art. What's the end-goal of it? And what would you hope for it to look like by the end within the scope you have?
2: Give us a run-down of anything gameplay changing you plan to do beyond simply putting all of the lua together. Do you plan on making the Charged Homing Attack Barrage from Lost World? Will the spindash change- That I can only currently think seems to be the spamdash- not allow turning to fall in line with how lost world's worked? Give us a bit more of an explanation of your end-gameplay goal with abilities and such.
3: What are some things you don't think you'll do or be able to do, but want to try and attempt at the very least? This would let people help you figure out how to make your ideas work, but don't expect anyone to just do it for you.

And don't feel the need to be secretive either- the editing thread's not just for showing off work, but also for getting feedback on what people think about your plans and such.

The thing that makes it off IMO is the lack of bounce. In Sonic Lost World the ball squash and stretched as you jumped, which helped a bit with making it feel better than a simple spinning sphere. If at all possible, I'd suggest making it squash and stretch based on speed if you really, REALLY want to keep it as the ball it is- so that when you're going faster it looks as though Sonic is- well. Squashing and stretching due to the speed and momentum in the air.
I don't mind the palette look, but I do agree it looks off. I'd suggest laying out your current plans for what you'll be doing so people know what you intend to do, and can offer better constructive criticism.

Here's a suggestion to start with for explaining, if you can't think of a good way to put it.
1: Explain what you intend to do to the sprites and art. What's the end-goal of it? And what would you hope for it to look like by the end within the scope you have?
2: Give us a run-down of anything gameplay changing you plan to do beyond simply putting all of the lua together. Do you plan on making the Charged Homing Attack Barrage from Lost World? Will the spindash change- That I can only currently think seems to be the spamdash- not allow turning to fall in line with how lost world's worked? Give us a bit more of an explanation of your end-gameplay goal with abilities and such.
3: What are some things you don't think you'll do or be able to do, but want to try and attempt at the very least? This would let people help you figure out how to make your ideas work, but don't expect anyone to just do it for you.

And don't feel the need to be secretive either- the editing thread's not just for showing off work, but also for getting feedback on what people think about your plans and such.
tbh you are right, i wanted to change the color and i will soon. also, im not a lua guy, i don't know how to do the squish and squashy ball thingy, also for the bounce, thats already implemented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back