Consistently falling FOFs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

Ok, so I'm stuck on a map, and I need some help. I'm trying to make FOFs that fall an exact distance from each other, constantly. Meaning I'm stuck using the Continuous Falling linedef type. That by itself forces many limitations on me, the most notable is that I can not adjust the FOF start point. The spawn and start point are always the same. All my experiments have resulted in there inevitably being a break in the line at some point eventually. The only way to avoid the break is to cause 2 FOFs to spawn directly on top of each other.

What I'm working with is a sector exactly 1024 units high, and the FOFs are 256 units high, with a 256 unit break in between each. They need to spawn above the ceiling, and need to disappear into the floor. I've tried setting various spawn points above the target sector's ceiling, and reset points at various points below the target sector's floor. Is there anyone who has had to deal with this issue and found a good solution for it? I'm in something of a jam right now, and this would be of great assistance.

Hmm... Not sure if this would work, but... You could try to increase the ceiling height of that sector alone while decreasing the floor height, then have a control sector to cover that area to give the illusion that it's part of the ceiling, allowing it to pass through much like a water ceiling that has no water underneath.

it's just a theory, and seeing as how I have no experience, it might do more harm than good... but if you're truly stuck, it can't hurt to give it a try and see what happens.

I must not be understanding this right, because I'm understanding that you want something like

ceiling
B

A (after 1 second)
B

A (after 2 seconds)
B

A (after 3 seconds)
B

A (after 4 seconds)
floor

I don't see why this would be so hard. I'm understanding it as the initial spawn point being the same as the respawn point with your description.

This WAD uses the falling control sectors in the gaps. It doesn't quite work. It flattens the top fof before going to the next frame. http://www.sendspace.com/file/pr58ys

This WAD uses a different way of doing something similar, but also doesn't quite work. http://www.sendspace.com/file/cdcin7

If any of you want to toy with these wads to see what you can do with them to fix this, try it out.

EDIT: I figured why it flattens on the top like that, it seems like the FOF does not reappear on the top until it completely sinks to the floor.

I told Ash how to do something exactly like this a while back, so let me dig it up and copy paste it here...

BlueZero4 said:
IIRC, continuously falling platforms know how far they need to fall (or rise) because of an adjacent control sector. Start all of the rising platforms by making them only rise 1 fracunit before reseting to their original position. Essentially, they'll be vibrating up and down reaaaally fast.

Next I would use a gargoyle box to move the sectors that tell the continuously rising platforms how far they need to rise. Try using linedefs 106 and 107; they change the heights instantly so there's no bugging up.

I don't quite understand what you mean. It certainly sounds complicated to set up. I would certainly like to see an example WAD of it.

I might give a go on trying to see if there is some other way to fix that flattened fof today.

I know this doesn't really help, but I just happened to be doing something just like this recently. In the end, I couldn't get them to work right, so I had to just use one really fast flat one. D=

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back