SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion

Old 1 Week Ago   #421
ClassicNC
look guys look

I've been around the wild srb2 ride since 2.0. Thing is, I've only really started participating in the public stuff when 2.2 hit the digital shelves, so I was pretty much oblivious to this stuff for a long time.
Old 1 Week Ago   #422
Digiku

Following up on my previous post about mental health resources:

There's a new Games and Online Harassment Hotline to provide emotional support over text message. It's staffed by trained counselors who are well-versed in gaming communities. To talk, text SUPPORT to 23368. See Ars Technica article.

Once again:
  • If you're in need of remote counseling, research BetterHelp and similar services.
  • For discounts on counseling services, research OpenPath Collective.
  • For government mental health services, dial 211 in the US.
  • For suicide hotlines, review this international list and FAQs.
  • Or, you can use the Crisis Text Line by texting HOME to 741741.
  • Or, as above, use the Games Hotline by texting SUPPORT to 23368.
Digiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #423
Monster Iestyn
Fangtastic
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_T View Post
Oh... So why can't I DL Mystic Realm from his page? It keeps throwing some MB error mesaage at me
I honestly fail to remember if it was already mentioned in this thread, but I can explain why this happened, since it's sort of relevant to the discussion about Mystic himself.

At the time Mystic decided to leave the community, he posted what he'd done of the new version of Mystic Realm to Submissions. But at the same time, he tried to (I quote) use "the last of [his] useful influence" to fight the file naming convention to force it to change, which he did by naming his released file in the way he preferred. This did not work, and the submission was rejected.

The main link to the file on the Mystic Realm website is a direct link to the attachment for his Mystic Realm release thread. However, since it is currently in Rejected Releases, nobody but himself and judges can currently download it from that link. Obviously Mystic assumed there was some chance of it getting through despite going against conventions.

Really that whole scenario could possibly be considered another example of Mystic's unacceptable behaviour, which is why I feel it is *kind of* relevant to this discussion.

Also yes, Mystic was not banned from the forums, he just simply left them.

That's an uppercase i, not a lowercase L, for the record. Also, it's pronounced "Yes-tin".
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #424
Ackeneister
A SRB2 Fanatic

Wow. A 20+ page thread about Mystic being banned from the public SRB2 Discord and removed from the staff team is... shocking, TSTL (to say the least).

For one, I've never, and I repeat, never created a SRB2MB account by myself.

In other words, I was a guest.

And as kinky as it sounds, this was before I even got the courage to enter the forums because I was fearing consequences.

2019 was a good year for the most part, at least.

What's that?
You want to know if I had a story about Mystic?
Ehhhhhh.... No. Sorry. Don't have one.
Ackeneister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #425
Icarus
Warrior from Algol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackeneister View Post
Wow. A 20+ page thread about Mystic being banned from the public SRB2 Discord and removed from the staff team is... shocking, TSTL (to say the least).

For one, I've never, and I repeat, never created a SRB2MB account by myself.

In other words, I was a guest.

And as kinky as it sounds, this was before I even got the courage to enter the forums because I was fearing consequences.

2019 was a good year for the most part, at least.

What's that?
You want to know if I had a story about Mystic?
Ehhhhhh.... No. Sorry. Don't have one.
I am pretty sure that this thread doesn't need any evolution as everything has been sorted out.
Old 3 Days Ago   #426
U.Flame

Since Mystic's misdeeds has been pretty clearly laid out, I'm curious about Rob and Prime's involvement. In this particular incident I know Rob failed to stop Mystic's bullshit, and I know little about what Prime did. But people seem generally happy about all three of them being gone, not just Mystic.

Besides just general compliance with what seemed to be an oppressive environment, what have they done to negatively impact the community and devlopment? Unlike Rob and even Mystic, Prime has been since been permabanned, so his trangressions were evidently worse.
U.Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #427
Charybdizs
it's lamp for supper, kids

Quote:
Prime has been since been permabanned, so his trangressions were evidently worse.
Oh boy

Were they ever! Maybe not worse ethically, but more volatile. (READ: he threatened to destroy the Official Server) Although I don't think a ban for the others would be out of order (it was mostly just overlooked since they left voluntarily) Prime received a ban for a string of horrendous behavior during this entire set of proceedings.

We made an announcement on it in discord, so I'll copy what was said here:

Just for transparency's sake:

Prime has been banned for quite a few reasons piled up, including:

- Creating problems & obstinance to policy change in moderation because of personal issues
(Also for transparency, detention cube has been removed because it was embarrassing, and a greater focus was put on holding each other accountable after the incidents of the past few months)

- Threatening to split the community
(Kind way of saying he threatened to delete the entire OS)

- Personal threats against other staff members

- Attempts to force his way into personal spaces of several community members

The final incident involved him stirring the pot with uninvolved community members following his removal from dev."

There was also an imgur gallery with some examples of this posted, so I'll put the images in here too.

I had the... um, "pleasure" of getting to look over most of this after I got made a moderator, and it was pretty bad. Most of them were threats made at Wolfy, because after he got given admin status... well, I'll give a quick tl;dr.

Immediately after the debacle with the pedophilia accusations and the giant embarrassment that that was, Rob stepped down and gave server ownership to Wolfy. The only other candidates were MascaraSnake, but he didn't want it, and Rob didn't trust Prime with it.

Wolfy, taking charge as a new admin, decided to implement some new rules and guidelines for moderation. In short, they included stuff like the removal of the "detention cube" moderation system, replacing it with a simple bot that sends a ban appeal form. A lot more efficient, and a lot less patronizing than the...cubes.

They also had a focus on accountability for EVERYONE and not just letting people get away with blatant flaming and inappropriate behavior because they're friends (*cough mystic cough*). If you've read the extent of this thread, I'm sure you can see how much of a problem this has been in the community for YEARS.

And then other miscellaneous notes included stuff about moderating behavior that actually needs it (nsfw content, trolling, art theft), as opposed to the obsession with grammar and nitpicking people for whom English is not their first language.

It was all pretty respectable, responsible stuff.

As Wolfy was in the process of copypasting the guidelines in Prime responded with "I reject." which sort of tells a lot about how obstinate he was being.

Prime, Rob, and MascaraSnake objected on the grounds that Wolfy was supposedly 'forcing the rules down their throats' -- but it's worth noting that the administrator making changes without consulting everyone had always been the precedent for the server. Wolfy was like, alright, sure, we can discuss it more, but they IMMEDIATELY demanded him to step down and relinquish his administrator role for this perceived trespass. It was his rejection of that request that prompted them to start threatening to "burn it all down." What followed was this:

As I see it, they wanted to continue the status quo, and they thought Wolfy would be really easy to control. In truth, Wolfy wasn't going to play puppet, and was going to actually solve the problems. I guess they didn't like that, but that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who's come this far in this thread. When they realized they had fucked up they started freaking out (and calling it a kartkrew takeover WTF) and this is what it looked like.

But yeah... I think that gets the point across. It was a pretty nasty mess.

Something that tickles ME after the fact is becoming a mod and reading backlog and seeing how much Prime was lying to me when I had came to him with concerns in the past. He had talked a big game about "following procedure" but this supposed "procedure" was nonexistent! Not in the pins, no references in the topics, nothing even Wolfy could find. Most of the mods they had brought on did nothing because they didn't even know what was expected of them.

Guess who ACTUALLY wrote policy as of present? We did!

I was a little hesitant to post this unless someone asked, because I'm eager for the community to get it out of its system and move on, but as long as people still have questions, there's no problem with being transparent.

Last edited by Charybdizs; 3 Days Ago at 01:34 AM. Reason: Added clarification about the threats.
Charybdizs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #428
U.Flame

Holy crap, sounds like eveyone was really volatile. Something Prime said when this was all going with Mystic and Rob was that this was stress making decent people do stupid things. I wonder to what extent that was true. How much was it stubbotn people wanting to stay in power and how much was it really just emotions coming to a boiling point

The part about "This isn't about the rules, decide what we are to you", like was that brought about because they'd no longer get special treatment or what?

Last edited by U.Flame; 3 Days Ago at 01:57 AM.
Old 3 Days Ago   #429
cookiefonster
Wiki Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.Flame View Post
Holy crap, sounds like eveyone was really volatile. Something Prime said when this was all going with Mystic and Rob was that this was stress making decent people do stupid things. I wonder to what extent that was true. How much was it stubbotn people wanting to stay in power and how much was it really just emotions coming to a boiling point

The part about "This isn't about the rules, decide what we are to you", like was that brought about because they'd no longer get special treatment or what?
Oh, all this was ABSOLUTELY downplayed as them just being poorly affected by stress. Some nonsense along the lines of "these people were just bad at handling stress, it's better if this server is run by people who are good at handling stress", when in reality there are numerous instances of those members of the old guard being stuck up and aggressive. Especially Prime with his whole Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde sort of thing (or at least it comes off like that to me).

Last edited by cookiefonster; 3 Days Ago at 03:37 AM.
cookiefonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #430
SeventhSentinel
STJr Team Representative
Administrator

If you let stress affect your actions, you're gonna be a crappy admin/moderator anyway. Now, I can't say that I would have acted perfectly if I were in their shoes, but I would have at least apologized for being an idiot instead of making excuses for it. So at the time I saw this argument of "I only did stupid things because I was stressed" as them unintentionally making the case for themselves to leave.

And that's without even knowing about 95% of their garbage behavior.
My stuff: SeventhSentinel#4892 on Discord / Twitter / Primary YouTube / Secondary YouTube / SoundCloud / Twitch
Follow STJr on social media: YouTube / Twitter / Facebook
Follow Kart Krew on social media: YouTube / Twitter / Facebook
Chat on Discord: SRB2 / Kart Krew
SeventhSentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #431
U.Flame

By the time they said that in the public announcement, it was already in the context of being the reason for their departure. I don't know if they made an attempt to stay before that point, or if it was just an attempt at damage control.
Old 2 Days Ago   #432
MRoach
íReremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.Flame View Post
By the time they said that in the public announcement, it was already in the context of being the reason for their departure. I don't know if they made an attempt to stay before that point, or if it was just an attempt at damage control.
For me it seems the later one is the case.