SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion

Old 09-12-2020   #1
Frostiikin
Insert funny hahas here

Default If you could add one new feature to srb2, no questions asked, what would it be?

Whether it's a specific new character, loops, a new gameplay mechanic, or anything, regardless of how feasible adding said thing to the game would be or how difficult that would be, what would you add?

I'll start us off. I'd personally add the ability for sprites to use colors outside of the srb2 palette, so that I could hueshift my sprites better lol. Level rendering would still use the palette, so it wouldn't have the problems that truecolor would.

Please note: This is not a wadbegging thread. Please do not use this as a wadbegging thread. This is purely a fun little... thought experiment I guess you'd call it? eh, whatever lol.

Last edited by Frostiikin; 09-12-2020 at 04:22 AM.
Frostiikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020   #2
Charybdizs
it's lamp for supper, kids

Chao Gardens...

It kinda blows my mind no game has ever successfully (few have even tried) reintroduced the Chao Garden mechanic. It has so much potential for being just as cool or even better (seriously, a LOT could be done to improve it) that is still untapped.

Not that I'm surprised that it ain't in SRB2, of course! That's a lot of work in the Doom engine! But it's like free money for any commercial game.

The idea of getting to design custom chao race courses sounds fun, too.
Old 09-12-2020   #3
Soufon

Some oddball minigames, like the party games of the Super Monkey Ball series (Whack-A-Crawla? Sonic Golf?)

I always thought they were some fun timewasters with friends, though I suppose custom gametypes fill that niche for SRB2.
Soufon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020   #4
GeorgeMP
Eef freef!

Rollback netcode.
Old 09-12-2020   #5
time gear

I'd really like an unlockable dev commentary mode similar to in Valve's source engine games where you can interact with speech objects to play voice clips on the dev's thought process on making different level sections, enemy types, etc.

I'd also implement a unique set of levels specifically for Metal Sonic as a sort of "Episode Metal" type deal. Single act zones themed after the main campaign's zones, but in reverse order and designed specifically around completing them as Metal Sonic. For the Metal Sonic race and boss fight, you would be against Sonic instead.
time gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020   #6
Marcos
The Marcos

A secret final boss using NiGHTS mode, only accessible if the player has all the chaos emeralds. And considering the player should have gotten all 7 chaos emeralds by themselves they will probably have it easier. It should be like the final NiGHTS special stages test.
Spoiler:
Black Hole doesn't count
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020   #7
tropluckyfr

i think i would like a new challenge level
temmie609:LMAO FUCK YOU UWUUUUUUUUUUUU
tropluckyfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020   #8
AirFox
That Twisted Metal Nerd

If I am gonna be boring, OpenGL to have an option to have the limited color palette. Since I like the limited color limitation Software has, it would be cool to see OpenGL have it, I know I would use OGL more if it was an option.
<AirFox> Do it
Check out my hangout maps Park Valley (+The Island) for SRB2
AirFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020   #9
Icarus
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirFox View Post
If I am gonna be boring, OpenGL to have an option to have the limited color palette. Since I like the limited color limitation Software has, it would be cool to see OpenGL have it, I know I would use OGL more if it was an option.
I second that, I always loved how the older version looked color-wise.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020   #10
SilverVortex

i'd personally love to see a legacy sonic zone re-imagined in srb2, i love it when people do that. if i had to be specific though, i'd cast my vote for either press garden zone from sonic mania, or flying battery zone from sonic and knuckles.
SilverVortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020   #11
ClassicNC
welp

In-game level editor with simple and complicated modes so everyone can make a level for SRB22 without all of the complicated stuff in between. The simple mode would have all of the items and enemies and stuff pre-picked, and the complicated mode would have more complicated ways of making stuff, but much more options because of it. You would also be able to create your own or use other people's items, enemies, objects and textures. If not in-game, then a separate application that comes with SRB2 as an added bonus.
And yes, I know that Zone Builder exists, but I think it would be too complicated for a beginner to use. SRB2 IS a game for everybody to play and enjoy.

Last edited by ClassicNC; 09-12-2020 at 08:06 PM. Reason: awoooooga
ClassicNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020   #12
PencilVoid
Circuit Enthusiast

This may seem a bit outlandish, but I'd love to see a spectrogram or spectrum visualiser in the sound test in place of the boombox and soundpad. I'm not sure if it would be possible with SRB2's limitations, though.

May I interest you in the Church of Audie?
PencilVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020   #13
Jonster
[Insert meme here]

Eggman as a new playable character. Story would probably be in-between srb1 and 2, kinda like how CD is speculated to be canonically placed between sonic 1 and 2.
(Discord: Jonster The 1st#5263)
(Twitter: @JonsterThe1st)
Jonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020   #14
SIG7
The Gamerman

i would put ssntails' art back and keep the first, yes first srb2 eggman sprites, but he has his modern collision, back then he was tinee i think

https://discord.gg/uwZRkas https://discord.gg/enAhkBp
SIG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020   #15
Frostiikin
Insert funny hahas here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIG7 View Post
i would put ssntails' art back and keep the first, yes first srb2 eggman sprites, but he has his modern collision, back then he was tinee i think
why tho
the new art is so much better lol
Old 09-14-2020   #16
Icarus
Permanently Banned

I do miss SSNTails' art better but the new one looks more professional (if I could say that for a fangame)
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020   #17
Charonik08
No Charks in this pool!

Alright, this is an idea I’ve had for a while, but this does not fit at all with the SRB2 level design but it’s just a thought. Think about it, SRB2 or any sonic game with path specific endings (level goals, what ever it’s called) For example, at the end of DS1, you could either go the normal path to get to the end, or find a secret exit in one of the button-locked doors which lead to a entirely new area in DS2 or even a new zone! Better yet, having the “extra” stages as exits you can find in certain levels to play those extras in the main campaign! (of course after you unlocked them)

This sounds like a “what if” but it’s merely an idea that could maybe not even work with Sonic rules, although maybe it could have an application in 2D Sonic games...
Old 09-14-2020   #18
Steelie
Downward spiral

Multiplayer bots. Or more so, bring them back, as it's been attempted before with varying success (mostly clunky, actually).

There is certain potential there, both for practice or for just goofing around when netgames are scarce. Both SRB2 and Kart would benefit from it.
Steelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020   #19
SilverVortex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charonik08 View Post
or even a new zone!
mirage saloon act 1 slowly approaches
SilverVortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020   #20
Rafael44642

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charonik08 View Post
Alright, this is an idea Iíve had for a while, but this does not fit at all with the SRB2 level design but itís just a thought. Think about it, SRB2 or any sonic game with path specific endings (level goals, what ever itís called) For example, at the end of DS1, you could either go the normal path to get to the end, or find a secret exit in one of the button-locked doors which lead to a entirely new area in DS2 or even a new zone! Better yet, having the ďextraĒ stages as exits you can find in certain levels to play those extras in the main campaign! (of course after you unlocked them)

This sounds like a ďwhat ifĒ but itís merely an idea that could maybe not even work with Sonic rules, although maybe it could have an application in 2D Sonic games...
I'm guessing that the secret zone would be a shortcut to red volcano by passing through mine maze zone since in the old cutscene, the zone was planned to be after dsz soo it would be a cool suprise :>
Rafael44642 is offline   Reply With Quote