60 fps?

To my knowledge, there isn't a way to make SRB2 and Kart run at 60 FPS. I don't know much on the coding side but I know 35 FPS is specific do to how the game runs.
SRB2 Wiki said:
A tic is a unit of time measurement used in SRB2, which is equal to 1/35th of a second. Because SRB2 runs at a framerate of 35 frames per seconds, a tic is the smallest unit of time that is discernible to the player. In SOCs and Lua scripts.
If you were to increase the frame rate to 60 through source coding, you get some pretty wacky results:

I think it could be possible to have a smoother frame rate but I'm not a source code guy for SRB2 and I don't want to give you any wrong information.

Here we go again with the 60FPS.

In my personal opinion, the 35FPS are simply PERFECT, the 60FPS are smoother yeah, but are basically the same, i don't understand why does people say "60 FpS aRe bEtTeR" when are the same, i don't know about code, but i think the 35FPS are way BETTER than 60FPS, the 35 ones fits more with SRB2.

And... could you say me WHY don't you like 35FPS even if are the SAME thing?

There is a 70fps branch, which doubles the FPS of the game properly. There have been 120 and 144fps builds but they just speed up the game so much. Not alot of game logic was touched in those ones.

Once you play on the 70fps build (Goldens boost-ticrate-ported branch to be precise) 35 feels shit. There are many things that need to be sorted to actually make it functional. But this is the hard and loooong way to get smooth gameplay.

Our best solution is to work more on the Frame interpretation build which is less intensive but essentially give you the buttery smoothness.

I'd be fine with interpolation to be honest. It's essentially the same as higher fps from a visual standpoint, but doesn't require changing the actual internal framerate and as such shouldn't mess with internal timers.

I would prefer it to be an option that can be toggled, though. In fact, now that Mystic is gone with his apparent hatred for toggle options, perhaps the options menu could get a general expansion that gives the player additional control over their experience. Additional hud choices, choice between which style special stage you want in multiplayer, etc.

From what I've watched, Doom internally runs at 70FPS and then halved to 35. That means Doom Legacy, and thus SRB2 may be able to run at 70 too.

There is some support for higher fps in the source but I don't think that work.

Anyways the game run at a constant 35tps and no way to interpolate physics because the game use the tps for the timers and speed so you need to use previous frame interpolation to have 70fps meaning you theorically increase the frame latency by 13ms. Also the game run bad maily because of graphics on some maps so you need a very powerful PC to have constant 70fps.

In my personal opinion, the 35FPS are simply PERFECT, the 60FPS are smoother yeah, but are basically the same, i don't understand why does people say "60 FpS aRe bEtTeR" when are the same, i don't know about code, but i think the 35FPS are way BETTER than 60FPS, the 35 ones fits more with SRB2.

And... could you say me WHY don't you like 35FPS even if are the SAME thing?
For One It Runs Like Shit At 35 FPS And Two It's Prone To Making SRB2 Run Like Hot Garbage

And... could you say me WHY don't you like 35FPS even if are the SAME thing
Framerates do matter in a Sonic game, since higher framerate creates a lower input latency, higher space for reaction, and a less nauseating experience for those who aren't used to SRB2's 35fps.

Remember that SRB2 is starting to reach the mainstream of the Sonic fanbase, meaning SRB2 has to adapt slightly to be more comfortable to those people. Which also explains why SRB2's next minor update, 2.2.11, is getting uncapped framerates. While interpolated, and with some visual glitches, it does make the experience much nicer.

If you don't believe this is an actual feature, It's on WIP Changelog

???

pretty sure the devs just thought interpolation was cool and a good addition to the game after lots of hard work
it isn't trying to "reach the mainstream of the Sonic fanbase"

where did you get this?
and why are you phrasing it like an ad, and like it's unbelievable

higher framerate creates a lower input latency, higher space for reaction
This only applies when the game itself is doing its stuff at a high tick rate.
Internally, interpolated SRB2 is still operating at 35fps, so there is no change on latency nor the amount of milliseconds you have to react to things.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back