Consider the following scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.

Princess Plushima

Princess of Dreams
Judge
You are located at one side of a room.
Delicious Cake is located on the other side of the room.
In between is a pit too large to thok, glide, or fly across.

How does one succeed in this scenario?

Simple, hope that my latest in crazy theories doesn't crash and burn because of an otherwise insignificant detail like in inevitably will.

This totally isn't a source of cheap premature hype.

AND NOW TO MAKE THIS TOPIC LESS OF A CHEAP SOURCE OF HYPE, AND MORE OF A LEGITIMATE DISCUSSION!

My solution to the riddle:
Launch a projectile across the room, next to the cake. Upon contact with the wall the projectile spawns two missile objects on either side. The missiles will, on destruction (Contact with a wall) use A_RemoteAction to rotate the original projectile, and cause it to spawn more of the side-missiles. The missiles will of course fade after so long. Within a short period of time, the portal will be rotated to match the wall's angle.

A similar object, though technically a different type, will be launched to the player's side of the room, doing all the same stuff. The player will be followed by an object that constantly points itself towards the projectile at the far room. When the player touches the portal, he is A_RemoteActioned over to the other one, and turns to face the same angle as the the object that had moments ago, been pointing towards the portal he is now standing right in front of.

As I said, it's just a theory, and my angle trick with the object following the player doesn't sound like it'll really work, but I know the secret to getting it to work does involve that thing somehow.

Guess what I'm talking about yet? If not, read it again until your head explode.

Now we've got the cake, but that's not quite the weapon I'm looking for yet. Hence the turn of this topic to a more legit discussion. I require assistance getting the angle shifting to work like it does in the original game. Now I know I won't be able to do the fancy infinite loop to terminal velocity bit with portals on floors and ceilings, but at least the proper tricks for walls. Any ideas on how this issue could be resolved?

So Draykon, you're trying to make an SRB2 portal gun?
Awesomesauce.
Unfortunately, I don't know how to soc, so I can't help.

Considering SRB2's actor limitations and lack of advanced scripting, a portal gun would be even hackier than the one in ZDoom. I'm not saying anything against SRB2, since Sonic games should be simple, I'm just saying you're think slightly too far out of the box.

If you want an explanation on why I say this, just ask. However, keep trying at this, because I didn't believe a portal gun was possible in ZDoom until I tried it. Good luck.

Oh please, this is extremely reasonable compared to some of the stuff I've tried to do.

To clarify, I know for a fact that a portal gun that works about like the one in Halo CE is possible. It's just that that thing is kinda crappy.

The Portal Gun remains one of the big Holy Grails of any game with a degree of scripting capabilities, so rather than just trying to make it on my own, I'm hoping someone with any ideas on how to resolve the angle issue would post them in this here topic, so maybe the collective ideas of the forum can result in a finished portal gun, not quite as functional as the original, but still well done enough to count.

The theory I posted earlier accounts for two separate projectiles, which stick to walls, and align themselves with the wall's angle. Teleportation from there would probably involve an A_Look "on-collision with the player go to the seestate" hack which we all know can be done, but no one has yet. With a seestate that uses A_RemoteAction to tell the other portal to A_Teleport the player over. (Note the Shufflarb2 functions, there's no freaking way a proper portal gun can be done in Vanilla SRB2) but that's as far as I can get so far. Shifting the player's angle and momentum like is done in Portal is the missing link here. So yeah, pitch ideas nao plz.

Chrome, um, did you actually play said level? It's not really worth mentioning...

And, um, sorry Drayk. I'm a mapper. I'm surprised nobody has said that the cake is a lie, though.

No. D: All those Comments drove me away, but I thought it could do something to help Draykon.

Silly Draykon, you know perfectly well that you're lying about that cake. ;)

Really, if you make a portal gun, my head will explode into thirty million peices, then every one of those peices will explode into one billion peices.

Draykon said:
Now we've got the cake, but that's not quite the weapon I'm looking for yet. Hence the turn of this topic to a more legit discussion. I require assistance getting the angle shifting to work like it does in the original game. Now I know I won't be able to do the fancy infinite loop to terminal velocity bit with portals on floors and ceilings, but at least the proper tricks for walls. Any ideas on how this issue could be resolved?
Have an invisible spring A_FindTarget and A_FaceTarget the portal on the player's side of the room. When the player gets A_RemoteActioned to the side of the room where the cake is, the spring SHOULD adjust the player's angle, and dissapear on touch. At least that's how I'd think of it.

Senku: Best explained through example. You're in a square wall, you shoot a portal on two walls, which are perpendicular to one another. When you run into one portal, in addition to getting warped over to the other portal, you SHOULD be rotated 90 degrees. But I can't figure out how to make that work.

Flame: Two reasons why that won't work.
1: It doesn't rotate the player by the correct degrees, which is the big issue at hand.
2: The spring would alter the player's speed by a fixed amount. Whether you walk, run, or thok into the portal, you'll always be spit out at the same speed. Which isn't what I want.

Well I have no idea if this would work but meh. Alright when the Aperture Science thing that we don't know what it is gets shot like you said it could create a teleporter and depending where the portal hit it would make the teleporter to look in that direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back