sr_blueheaven.wad - Blue Heaven level pack 0.5 released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tets

one rude dude
It didn't occur to me until just now to make a thread here for the release. So anyway, here it is. http://tets.sepwich.com/blueheaven.htm.

Changes since the last release (Chaos Zone 0.4.1) are all documented in the text file included with the wad. In case you weren't aware, I've dropped support for cooperative multiplayer as of this release, but race mode is now properly supported.

Most notable in this release is the addition of the complete Burning Cavern Zone, pictured at this link. There are also a set of five special stages, one for each zone currently available. The last two do not exist as of yet so if you cheat and attempt to gain access to them, don't blame me if it crashes.

If there are any horrible glitches I'll do what I can to fix them and re-release, but otherwise do enjoy the level pack.

Just turn the music volume down, and the sound volume at maximum. But...why put out coop support? I mean, levelpacks like these are sooo much more used in coop then in race.

The DPZ sky has black blocks within the sky(a bit hard to notice, but if you use neopal.wad, you can clearly see the problem).

I looked through the wad file itself, and I still saw "black blocks" in the textures that make up that sky. For the record, the black blocks are color 0, and the rest of the sky is color 245.

Titanium, the black block thing is due to my editing of those patches in mspaint. I'll fix that in due time. If you could give me a list of the patches affected, that would be helpful.

I have fixed the teleporter in Aero Shrine, that was a case of simply getting the tag wrong. Anyone who got the pack before this post should redownload it.

Right. I've re-re-uploaded the wad. Fixed a few annoyingly elusive bugs. This one had me going for a while, compare these two screenshots: OpenGL renderer and software renderer. >_<

Also, I changed the texture of the button at the end of Burning Cavern act 2 to be more noticeable. Apparently some people were missing it outright and wondering where the boss teleporter was hiding. This shouldn't be a problem anymore.

Sorry for the trouble, this ended up being a rather bad release, on par with the last one. Sometimes I wish I had a team of dedicated testers, I miss the most obvious things.

So anyway, have fun now.

Edit: I also went through the DPZ sky patches, and I think I've eliminated all the black boxes. If they're still there, make sure you have the latest version (uploaded as of now, 1:18 PM eastern). Otherwise, I'll have to go through again and see what I missed.

I did some bug runs while testing out some new stuff on SMS1095...

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/6985/srb20019mw4.png
First zone, second act. Near the emerald hole, and facing that way. Software render.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/1566/srb20021pe3.png
So, whats wrong here? Yeah, the shadows on the lava. Lava is supposed the source of light....well, whatever....Software render.

http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/209/srb20023lj7.png
Some kinda cave in the third zone. Every sprite gets overridden. Software...again.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/2707/srb20024vs6.png
Dude, how am I supposed to get out of here? That spring won't help a bit, ya know!

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/4092/srb20025be4.png
So....um....are we gonna teleport or what? I had to use noclip to run out of the level and finish!

Oh please, every one of those bugs are either a generic Software bug, something you failed at figuring out, or something wierd that didn't happe to me.

I think I found a bug...in DPZ2

srb20000eu2.png
[/URL][/img]

Note: I was useing the objectplace thing to find an emearld,then I came around this.

Okay, Burning Cavern is just amazing. Best lava-themed map I've played in SRB2, and I'm not just saying that. ;P

Found a bug, tho.
srb20067.png

Also, the camera sinks onto the ground in a few places, what's up with that?

SonicX8000 said:
I think I found a bug...in DPZ2

*RENDER ERROR PICTURE*

Note: I was useing the objectplace thing to find an emearld,then I came around this.

This is a render error, I have found this too and showed it to tets on IRC, He said that this is a render error that Srb2 has, Sometimes it doesnt display things correctly. It's not an error with the map.

Actually, no. Tets fixed the last error by moving the vertices around. I'm sure he could do the same for that area.

Wow. That was _great_ fun. A few comments, though:

1.) The boss entry points were BRILLIANT. However, why are there rings in the boss arenas? Who needs those when you can pick up the ones you dropped? Surely the player isn't stupid enough to step on the boss portal without any rings.
2.) Difficulty seems a little unbalanced. The second zone has tons of bottomless pits, while the fourth has none. Also, there is such a thing as too many Crawlas. Mix up the enemies a little X_X
3.) The lava in the lava stage is awesome, but you forgot to change the lava in the fourth zone, which you still go under.
4.) I got quite lost in the ending of FPZ2. I found the exit to the emerald token passage before I found the stage ending.

Seriously, this was awesome. I seriously can't wait for this to be completed.

Mystic said:
1.) The boss entry points were BRILLIANT. However, why are there rings in the boss arenas? Who needs those when you can pick up the ones you dropped? Surely the player isn't stupid enough to step on the boss portal without any rings.
Think about "VERY HARD" mode, you can't get rings back when hit.

Anyway, great job! Although very fun and challenging, I often encounter many mishaps and errors ( but they are not render errors =O ).

In the second act in zone one...
srb20057jn1.png

I happened to find some intangible FOF (maybe another water block) underwater.

Pepe said:
Think about "VERY HARD" mode, you can't get rings back when hit.
Two hits and you die seems fair in a "Very Hard" mode. I've always considered the fact that the rings are in the boss arena to be one of the big failings of the "Act 3 boss" system that we use.

Any problems you encounter that generate HOM effects in opengl mode will now best be dealt with by ignoring them. I'm not picking up the slack for a shoddily coded renderer when it's clearly stated not to be supported when the game is started. I've encountered a lot of HOMs in Burning Cavern that render perfectly in the software renderer. Interesting, because HOMs are normally impossible in opengl.

Each of SMS's reports were already known (indeed, the teleporter was even fixed and announced as such three posts above, pay attention), except for the one where there should be a slime pit at the end of Metal Wasteland act 2. It ended up being tagged the same as the slime pit that drains earlier in the level. That is fixed.

As for difficulty, the map rotation is currently not final I've decided. I'm going to end up rearranging the map numbers as a result of removing all the third acts, so while I'm at it it I may as well put the zones in a more logical order. Also I've modified the lava pit in MWZ act 2, it's now more like lava in Burning Cavern.

Finally, I've fixed that water block in DPZ act 2. I thought I had already fixed that months ago for the release of Frigid Peak, and had assumed it was no longer a problem.

Tets said:
Any problems you encounter that generate HOM effects in opengl mode will now best be dealt with by ignoring them. I'm not picking up the slack for a shoddily coded renderer when it's clearly stated not to be supported when the game is started.

oh burn lol *shot*

Both glitches in Software, just for the record.

srb20045di3.png

Yay! A mirage!

srb20046qw7.png

Blue Crawlas should NOT spawn so close to a checkpoint that you lose 10 lives to one just because you can't do anything about it! This is where I draw the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back