Why is there an addon limit?

JakeLeB

Now with 25% more fat
I think the inclusion of an addon limit is really unneeded. People should be able to go crazy with the addons instead of being limited.

The addon limit came from Doom Legacy I believe. Though we've possibly bumped it up since then. Clearly we've just never really felt like removing it up to this point, for whatever reason.

That said, while it does sound a good idea to have no limit for addons at all... I dread the potential experience of sitting around waiting to download hundreds of files from a netgame. XD

If we got SRB2Kart's addon limit (128 files) instead of the filename-based system we have now it would be like a dream come true.
As for waiting for hundreds of files to download, that's why we port HTTP downloads to vanilla :sonic_pfft:

If we didn't have limits, the game would just outright die when too many are loaded. I'd say loading so many mods that the game has to outright make you stop is a good indicator that you have too many mods going on at once to begin with.

The number of addons that can be loaded in vanilla SRB2 is mostly limited by the maximum size of the network packet that lists the names and checksums of all loaded files for joiners. That part of the limit could be removed fairly easily by allowing the list to be split across multiple packets, like kart does (ur welcome) leaving just the static addon count limit set in code, to be basically whatever the devs wanted it to be

The issue with the current wad limit is well... the wad limit. If someone wants to play with a bunch of custom stages during their netgame, or a ton of characters, they literally can't. And what do people do when they can't do stuff with the wad limit? they start packing files. And when files are packed, people A. get their content stolen, and B. have to redownload everything. Having the wad limit be low is a good idea on the surface, but when you really think about it, it causes more issues then having a huge limit would cause.

I have to admit, that back in 2.1.25 I did a "Character Mega Pack" so I could load various characters at once and load some other mods over it because of the wad limit. Never made a server with it, so don't worry. It's really annoying to have that limit still in the game to be honest. I had the biggest roster on that version, it was so good.

If we didn't have limits, the game would just outright die when too many are loaded. I'd say loading so many mods that the game has to outright make you stop is a good indicator that you have too many mods going on at once to begin with.
I have had this issue, with mods, my game tries (and succeeds) to kill itself whenever I come to a boss stage

it was slighty raised
You're saying an increase of the file limit from 48 to 65535 is "slightly raised"?

The skin limit is indeed the same, though... for now. In the future, it will be increased from 32 to 256.

You're saying an increase of the file limit from 48 to 65535 is "slightly raised"?

The skin limit is indeed the same, though... for now. In the future, it will be increased from 32 to 256.
Thats what it said on the changelog

Sorry:worry:

Holy s**t that's a huge increase
Post automatically merged:

WRONG

it was slighty raised but the skin limit is the same

stop doin missinformation
Holy s**t that's a huge increase
Also I thought that the mod limit was removed because I never thought to put sixty-five thousand five hundred thirty-five files.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back