About the changes in Egg Rock Zone

Icarus

Phantasy Savior
I understand that you didn't have the time to entirely remake the stage for the 2.2 but is there a reason for the removal of the small Sonic and 2D laser section in the second act?

I can understand that the level would have been too long but I liked those because they reminded me of Sonic CD and Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

What do you plan to do with the next big update, will they come back in a way or another or they're ditched out for good? I wouldn't mind if we had the choice for several routes so you could choose between the elevator switch, small or laser sections to reach the end of the level.

The laser mini boss is really uninspired and really bogged down the whole zone. It's neat the first time you go through but if you enter the room with a single ring it was a rather uninteresting interaction.

The shrink room was a neat concept and I think could have some more interesting design as a challenge stage rather than a final stage zone. Something about the gimmick is... weird. Just personal opinion.

The shrink room was a neat concept and I think could have some more interesting design as a challenge stage rather than a final stage zone. Something about the gimmick is... weird. Just personal opinion.

The shrink room is the section where you go through that tiny vent and enter a room filled with boxes right? That was one of those sections that until someone said it was a shrinking room I genuinely had no idea.

Also the shrinking machine itself always reminded me of a McDonalds play-place I used to go to when I was little strangely enough...

Easily one of the more pointless parts of EggRock as there is no challenge included, it is basically only visual. Atleast on the path I always took.

I would agree that the shrinking part could've been in a challenge stage rather than being in the level but the laser section should be more like Sonic 2 than Sonic & Knuckles

The shrink ray is a really neat idea. It just wasn't executed very well. I expect us to come back to it at a later date and do a better job of it, because there's a lot of potential awesome there, but the 2.0 implementation of it wasn't the best.

I feel shrinking could be used quite creatively, like for example putting a new perspective on a previously explored room or opening up alternate routes while in relatively the same play space, and having stuff like Technosqueek-like badniks seen as decoration previously in the level threaten and attack the player when they're shrunk.
latest

The shrink ray is a really neat idea. It just wasn't executed very well. I expect us to come back to it at a later date and do a better job of it, because there's a lot of potential awesome there, but the 2.0 implementation of it wasn't the best.
I'm looking forward seeing it in an eventual 2.3 update!

The gimmick could always be implemented in a different zone, too, not necessarily in ERZ. The Technosqueek thing Turret brought up makes me think it'd be a neat gimmick maybe for Grand Eggship? Y'know, Flying Battery parallels and all.

...or just a challenge level, yeah. It's nice to know it might be coming back though.

The gimmick could always be implemented in a different zone, too, not necessarily in ERZ. The Technosqueek thing Turret brought up makes me think it'd be a neat gimmick maybe for Grand Eggship? Y'know, Flying Battery parallels and all.

I don't remember Flying Battery having any shrinking sections though? As I recall, the gimmick was originally unique to Metallic Madness in Sonic CD, not used anywhere else within the classic series.

I don't remember Flying Battery having any shrinking sections though? As I recall, the gimmick was originally unique to Metallic Madness in Sonic CD, not used anywhere else within the classic series.
No, I was talking about the laser section in Sonic & Knuckles.

The sections were just time-wasters. The laser was slow, uninteresting and easy to deal with and the shrinking, while not a bad gimmick, wasn't really utilized in any cool or meaningful ways. It was kinda just there. Better to just strip these out for the time being and improve the overall flow of the stage.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back