• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Courses of doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shy Dog

This is a series of three Courses that i made simply as a challenge to test your skills in srb2. There are 2 levels at the moment and a few glitches:

Level 1 1up secret has no sidedefs.
Level 2 player1 start is in the wrong place.
Level 2 has a drop that you should be able to pass but can't.

Level 1 link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/w9ha6m
Level 2 link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/n8vxko

Sorry no screenies yet i don't know how to put them on..............

Edit: updated files further down.

EDIT: I am no longer working on the courses, they have been changed. This is covered on page 2.

Shy Dog said:
There are 2 levels at the moment and a few glitches:

Level 1 1up secret has no sidedefs.
Level 2 player1 start is in the wrong place.
Level 2 has a drop that you should be able to pass but can't.

Those are not glitches, you can easily fix them yourself by editing your map.

Sorry these are the very first files ill have updated ones soon.

P.S. I need an idea for the next 2 courses, I have Crusher course, Speed course and Precision course.

NOTE: I am currently working on another wad, it may be a while before you get the updated files.

Ouch.

First, I doubt there's a thok barrier, though I haven't explicitly checked.
Second, cramped everything. Cramped areas suck. They kill the flow. If you want to make crapmed unplayable maps, go join a DooM forum or something. D:
Third, Crushers. I really hate crushers because it's so hard to time it right. Furthermore, you yourself haven't helped by making the sweet spot of the crushers even harder to hit.

To improve, first, learn about thok barriers. They're a little sector that surrounds the entire map and has a floor height the same as the ceiling. Also note that yes, you're textures will be messed up. You must set the textures again. Must.

Second, I really want you to take a look at the vast majority of other maps in SRB2. The maps in SRB2 by default are always availible, but contest winning maps tend to make a better choice. Notice how they have room to run, see what's ahead of you, and the stunts are generally forigivable.

And third, even THZ2, crusher mania, has crushers that are easy to pass through. Crushers should be obstacles, not the main attraction.

Sheesh.

Click this link if you want any hope at making fun levels. Seriously.
Also, if speed corse just involves more crushers, fast enemys, and bland areas, don't even think about making it.
And persision corse sounds like tiny platforms above death pit. :(

You need theems other than testing our skill at SRB2. We don't like freakishly hard levels, and we don't need our skills tested. We play SRB2 for fun, not sport.
(Though if anyone is holding an SRB2 turn-y w/ money prizes, le' me know.)

BlueZero4 said:
Ouch.

First, I doubt there's a thok barrier, though I haven't explicitly checked.

WRONG. THERE IS A THOK BARRIER.

Second, cramped everything. Cramped areas suck. They kill the flow. If you want to make crapmed unplayable maps, go join a DooM forum or something. D:
Third, Crushers. I really hate crushers because it's so hard to time it right. Furthermore, you yourself haven't helped by making the sweet spot of the crushers even harder to hit.

To improve, first, learn about thok barriers. They're a little sector that surrounds the entire map and has a floor height the same as the ceiling. Also note that yes, you're textures will be messed up. You must set the textures again. Must.

Second, I really want you to take a look at the vast majority of other maps in SRB2. The maps in SRB2 by default are always availible, but contest winning maps tend to make a better choice. Notice how they have room to run, see what's ahead of you, and the stunts are generally forigivable.

That's the point of the map. It is designed to be as hard as possible.

And third, even THZ2, crusher mania, has crushers that are easy to pass through. Crushers should be obstacles, not the main attraction.

Sheesh.

Let me guess - you don't like it.

Shy Dog said:
That's the point of the map. It is designed to be as hard as possible.
Bad point in making a map. Go for something, I dunno, a little more scenic. If the only thing you're shooting for Difficulty, phailure insures. try something that takes advantage of the textures in SRB2 and make something fun to look at and play. Rember, if it's not fun, who plays it? We play SRb2 in our free time. It's something to do so we can have fun, not get killed by crushers. D:

Shy Dog said:
Let me guess - you don't like it.
I don't enjoy this map. However, I don't see anything too glitchy with it, though the VIOWALL is irritating, man.

And btw, if you're shooting for skill-testing maps, you should know that there's no skill running through cramped hallways with crushers. Make you maps a bit more, I dunno, breathable.

BlueZero4 said:
And btw, if you're shooting for skill-testing maps, you should know that there's no skill running through cramped hallways with crushers. Make you maps a bit more, I dunno, breathable.
Just make the space bigger, as in, move the walls farther apart. That's what BZ4 means.

Click this link if you want any hope at making fun levels. Seriously.
on Edge said:
Also, if speed corse just involves more crushers, fast enemys, and bland areas, don't even think about making it.

Speed course is running away from detons over obstacles like lasers and spikes.

on Edge said:
And persision corse sounds like tiny platforms above death pit. :(

Not quite. More like jumping inbetween spikes, flames, but yes, some platform-above-pit style stuff.

Sorry if you guys don't like it.

You just summarized the kind of maps I was expecting. Detons should only be used with care, not constantly.

on Edge said:
You need theems other than testing our skill at SRB2. We don't like freakishly hard levels, and we don't need our skills tested. We play SRB2 for fun, not sport.

What excatly are you telling me to do? Stop making them or just edit them?

on Edge said:
(Though if anyone is holding an SRB2 turn-y w/ money prizes, le' me know.)

What the **** is that?

As for the first one, ty making a theme such as a deserted ruin, or a sunken palace. Really, your inspiration shouldn't come from the mere concpt of crushers.

That was better.

On the other hand, you've still got some theming to do. Those kind of passages scream inside a ruin, but it clearly isn't.

Also, small platforms are bad.

Much better. The bad parts were:

1) Too short.
2) Bad thing placement.
3) Bad platforming.
4) The lazers at the biggining don't match the rest of the theme.

Ok hows this then:

www.sendspace.com/file/ucogum

I have:

1) made platforms bigger
2) deleted laser block
3) evenly placed rings
4) less enemies
5) added new part on the end
6) improved the entrance
7) retextured the platforms so you can see them better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back