What would happen if STJr takes over Sega

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of the problem, I'll Begin, is that SEGA has fragmented their fanbase so badly at this point that even if they do make something like SRB2 with modern technology, a large amount of their audience would hate it. Those who grew up with Sonic Adventure wouldn't get all the references to the classics, would hate the lack of the homing attack and other 3D niceties, and would complain about being lost in stages because of the lack of speed pads.

While this sounds funny, it's basically impossible for SEGA to make a game that we'll all love because we all want something different out of a Sonic game. Personally, I want free-roaming stages that I can get lost in, explore, and generally mess around with at top speed, while most of the newer fanbase would hate that because they wouldn't know where to go.

We frequently get "suggestions" at STJr. to add the homing attack, light speed dash, and all that crap into SRB2. Obviously, adding those things would make our game worse, but because many people playing the game grew up with Sonic having those things, they don't like having them suddenly removed because they think of them as basic parts of Sonic's gameplay. We simply ignore those people because we're aiming for a specific style and think turning off a section of our audience is fine to please the majority, but SEGA is really stuck because their main fanbase at this point IS those people we turn off with SRB2.

That really stinks. And even our old fanbase is fragmented. For example, look at my tastes:

While you, Mystic, like levels where you can sort of get lost, I like straightforward ones where the minority of the level goes at full speed. It makes it FAR less bland and MUCH more interesting. I love Prismatic-Angel-Zone-esque jumps because it ALWAYS feels VERY rewarding to make them. I can get a thrill rather than a relief out of making the jump.

However, speed sections are necessary and provide a cool-down period if you know what I mean.

I honestly want to know what most of the fanbase would say about Dandjr Palace Zone, my absolute favorite 1P level in Sonic. Yes, I say better than all the official Sonic levels. (Penopat was rather taken aback to hear that I love it so freaking much.)

Shadow would stay dead (DIE!)
Knuckles would be less poser
Tails would have an SSN in front of his name
HMS123311 would be an official character
Rick Rollz
Robotnik
Pigs flying

nitro_the_hedghog said:
Shadow would stay dead (DIE!)
Knuckles would be less poser
Tails would have an SSN in front of his name
HMS123311 would be an official character
Rick Rollz
Robotnik
Pigs flying
And that about sums it up i think....

And another thing, why do people prefer Robotnik to Eggman as if they're going to be shot on sight if they think otherwise? Newsflash, guys! He was always called Eggman in Japan. Therefore I don't see the problem. I just call him Robotnik or Eggman depending on the game he's from, most of the time.

You could play the Mega Drive games without even knowing how the characters were named or what was the storyline. This is specially true for me as here games don't come with the manuals. Eggman could have been easily be an unnamed character back then. Would have anybody cared? I don't think so. Same with the badniks names and such. In fact I don't know the name of most of them (only motobug, buzzer and masher, honestly).

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
That really stinks. And even our old fanbase is fragmented.
Yes, but yet it's possible to make a game that has a good acceptance to all that section of the fanbase. But how do you convince everybody. Honestly I don't care about adding the homing attack (after all, aiming in 3D is a lot harder, so it actually becomes really useful), and moreover, the lightdash could be used to make Sonic-only areas, something S3K couldn't do really (every path that can be played with Sonic can be played with Tails too). Imagine if Sonic could light dash through a floor or a ceiling. Tails can't reach those parts because they're blocked, and Knuckles can't break them because they aren't walls. It would work.

But seriously, if you think properly, it may be possible to make a game so good that can be accepted by everybody. Through SRB2, sadly, can't be such a game :(

Well, SRB2 can't use the homing attack beacsue of how simple the AI is and how simple the enemies are.

Sega should just bomb all their 3D games and restart right when Sonic didn't talk or, ugh, have a girlfriend...

Normally, I would make a pivot animation to illustrate my views, but I'm just chronically lazy.

Sik said:
You could play the Mega Drive games without even knowing how the characters were named or what was the storyline. This is specially true for me as here games don't come with the manuals.

No manuals? That's just dumb. Then again, their Spanish team needs a slight bit of work. It's mostly correct, but mostly isn't good enough for professionalism.

Man, seriously. All games were quite intuitive, you didn't need any manual to be able to play them: you could figure out all controls almost immeditately. It was just common sense. And everybody was happy with it. Moreover, actually it made gaming simpler, and you had more time focusing in playing the game rather than learning how to do it.

Ice said:
Sega should just bomb all their 3D games and restart right when Sonic didn't talk or, ugh, have a girlfriend...

PC Zone Magazine on SRB2 said:
And best of all, Sonic doesn't talk or - urgarff - have a girlfriend.

Sik said:
SRB2 is based in Sonic Doom 2. Sonic Doom 2 is based on Boom. Boom is based on Doom 2.

For the adventurous, you'll notice that Sonic Doom 2 has a lot of level areas that are designed for Tails flying and/or Knuckles climbing. It was originally intended for you to be able to do that in the game - I just couldn't find a programmer. Lava Reef Act 2 actually has an entirely separate Knuckles route if you fool around with noclip.

I always thought the concept of SRB2 was hilarious - taking a gory 3D demon shooter and turning it into a bright and happy children's platformer. I don't think such a thing exists anywhere else.

Sonic Genesis Of The Azure Wind, the Halo Custom Edition mod. SonicXtr3me actually said that he wanted to turn Halo into a game anyone could play. Too bad his mod looked stupid.
Ashura Dark Reign, the UT2004 mod, too.

well in my opinion the best part about this game (even though the fanbase is fragmented) is that you can make your own levels, which if STJ took over sega the newer sonic games might have it, so even if you have mystic's free roaming tastes or Siks pure skill tastes, you can make your own levels.

Chrome the hedgehog said:
Well, SRB2 can't use the homing attack beacsue of how simple the AI is and how simple the enemies are.
That's not true. We don't use the homing attack because of an intentional design choice. SRB2 was designed before Sonic Adventure was released, and is based on the classics. Hitting enemies takes a lot more skill in SRB2 than it does in Adventure, so we can have simplistic enemies early-on. You can expect some more complicated enemies in the final. Also, since they take some more skill to hit, it also encourages the use of the spindash, which in SA1/2 is only really useful for time attacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back