SRB2 Doom Builder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oogaland

EDIT half a year later:
The most recent version of SRB2 Doom Builder can always be obtained from http://workbench.srb2.org/srb2db/http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s0569864/.

If you're using Windows Vista or 7, please read this thread at Doomworld.
---

I've spent some idle moments messing about with the Doom Builder source, with a view to implementing some stuff useful to SRB2 mappers. Mostly bug fixes so far -- like the crash in the texture browser -- but some SRB2-specific stuff should follow soon. I'd appreciate any suggestions you have.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also things. Do you know how annoying it is to see a level in 3d mode and the things wont show up when accessed?

That's a CFG problem, not an executable one.

Make it so that it ignores "MAP[anything]M". It'd mean faster compiling; telling it to ignore 1035 files is kind of... slow.

Other than that, I second the FOF comment. In fact, if you could also make it display slopes when editing ZDOOM maps, that'd be nice too.

I'll fix that problem when I get home. (an hour or so)

SRB2 Doombuilder improvemets....where should I begin?

Graduating options for floors, ceilings, brightness, and tags, for both linedefs and sectors. It's freaking annoying to have to right click on every individual sector/linedef to make things go upward on their own. Apparently DB is supposed to have a gradual floor change thingy, but I could never figure it out. Secondly, I honestly do not know if this is possible, but if it is, great: The ability to draw sectors in 3D mode. I don't know about you, but I get really messed up on scale when making levels (The first version of Emerald Excavation 1 had to have it's size doubled-the in progress version then had to be tripled, because I'm bad with scale and distance), so the ability to see sectors as you make them in real time would be a godsend.

If it means anything, you can change sector height on-the-fly in 3D Mode by facing the ceiling or floor and moving the mouse wheel.

If Sector drawing in 3D mode worked, it would have been made by CodeImp already.

Then again, if someone created a creative way to do so, then it might be possible...

Shadow Hog said:
If it means anything, you can change sector height on-the-fly in 3D Mode by facing the ceiling or floor and moving the mouse wheel.

Yeah, but you can't change sector sizes, which is the problem. I can do heights easily-100 for jumping, 300 for yellow springs, 1000 for red springs, 1500 for flying Tails. That's easy enough. Knowing how big a room needs to be isn't so easy.

Sonicandtails218 said:
Apparently DB is supposed to have a gradual floor change thingy, but I could never figure it out.
It does. Set the first and last sectors to have their correct ceilings/floors/brightnesses, then select all of the sectors in order, and choose Sectors/Gradient [whatever]. Doesn't work for tags, though; I'll add that.

As for all the other suggestions... Well, I'll have a go.

Make Things have a Z axis in DB so there's no more need to mess with Bitsets. I believe giving them a Z axis would make them be able to be moved up and down in 3D mode too. As for the implementation...simply make it so that using the Z axis on things edits their bitsets without actually showing it on the flags section in the Edit Thing box.

Instead of making it ignore the map headers, have it to where you can edit them, since just about every WAD these days has a map header. Make the MAINCFG and OBJECTCFG lumps scriptable for SOCs and map headers with options to add from .txt and .soc files.

And...how about a list of all used tags and such? I hate trying to remember which numbers I have and haven't used...

Mystic was complaining about this the other night, and he didn't post it, so I will. Make an option to ignore the blockmap. I'm sure he's the only one who will ever use such an option, but, in his words:

Mystic said:
Get it to actually save Mystic Realm properly

I'm pretty certain ignoring the BLOCKMAP's a nodesbuilder thing, so you can actually fix that with the existing program.

Blue Blur said:
There's a button for mext unused tag which is good for me, even with over 200 tags.
Well the list could also be useful for telling which tag is used for what and such.

Oh, okay, that's what you meant. Yes, actually, that would be very helpful, especially for FOFs that are over FOFs. And I totally murdered that sentence, didn't I?

The adjustment of floor/ceiling heights and texture offsets COULD be added directly in-game, like Objectplace...

So, Oogaland, what are you planning to add? I second the FOF's viewable in 3D mode thing and the Draw sectors in 3D mode thing. Like, you could press a trigger button, then it'll freeze the angle, and you can draw them just like normal mode.

Roboashura said:
So, Oogaland, what are you planning to add? I second the FOF's viewable in 3D mode thing and the Draw sectors in 3D mode thing. Like, you could press a trigger button, then it'll freeze the angle, and you can draw them just like normal mode.
Sorry I hadn't replied earlier: as usual, work IRL increases dramatically as soon as I come up with a project to busy myself with. Changelog so far:

Code:
Key:
! Bug fixed.
+ Feature added.

17/01/2006

! Crash in texture/flat browser when pressing tab with no image selected.
+ 'Split Linedefs' feature.

18/01/2006

! Textures incorrectly reported as missing in zero-height sectors.

20/01/2006

+ Z Offset feature added; no more messing with flags.
! Crash in browser when no textures/flats currently used in map.
+ 'Cascade tags upwards' option for sectors. Like 'Gradient xxxx', but upper
  bound automatic.
! Fields in new map config dialogue not filled at start for default config.
+ Tag cascading for linedefs.
Not very much, you'll notice. I might have a couple of spare hours on Friday morning, in which case I'll maybe get round to implementing another feature or two.

In answer to your question: anything that doesn't involve 3D mode is fair game for implementation. I'll have a bash at the 3D stuff, but I'm not making any promises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back