• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Bippo Bop

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I don't dislike this because it's hard. In fact, it's very easy. It's just that the controls are ridiculous and a pain to get used to, and even when I have, it's still a pain.

And stop trying to look cool on the Internet; it just makes you look worse.

i was never trying to look cool. and that said, i still LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this mod sooooooo much. It's by far the most original mod ive played. the music is kinda hard to hear though as someone previously mentioned. i suppose you could think of it more as ambiance to give it that creepy feeling to go along with the dark(ish) plot. infact i believe that just ambiance would suit this mod MUCH better.

• The controls are ridiculously slippery.
  • The level design in the tutorial is boring and bland, especially with the maze-like area.
  • Attacking enemies is annoying because of the broken controls and bouncy walls.
  • There's no detail.

I agree with you

I really like this mod, especially the atmosphere you've managed to create. It's a lot more omnious then Sonic games commonly are, and you've conveyed that very well. Call me crazy, but I think the bizarrely bland and spare levels are great in that they create a sense of hopelessly being lost in an alien environment.

My big suggestion (and it is a rather big one) is to make custom item/enemy/gargoyle sprites for your mod, in order for them to fit more in Bippo-Bop's distinctive atmosphere rather than that of SRB2. The enemy sprites at least shouldn't be too complicated, perhaps similar to Galto's simple geometric design, but more menacing (for Crawlas, for example, perhaps simple cubes that slowly "roll" towards the player).

Also, since this mod stakes its uniqueness on playing with SRB2's physics, you should introduce inversed gravity at some point. I'm stuck at the fourth level at the moment, so ignore this if you introduced it in later levels.

The levels could also be a bit longer. That's all I got. Can't wait to see future versions of this.

Kyasarin said:
  • The controls are ridiculously slippery.
  • The level design in the tutorial is boring and bland, especially with the maze-like area.
  • Attacking enemies is annoying because of the broken controls and bouncy walls.
  • There's no detail.

I know, the physics are quite different. I knew right from the start that some people would dislike that. I know that this is going to be a mechanic that people will either really like or really dislike, and I can see both sides of that argument.

The maze-like area has been made a bit less maze-like. Hopefully, that should fix that.

You are not the only one who desires more detail. I shall attempt it, aye, but I am not sure if I can add too much detail without subtracting from the mood. Like Wombat said, the blandness is actually somewhat being used to create an ominous feeling. For example, in Glitter Breeze, it is no accident that there are no colored textures (except the wood - After all, who ever heard of gray wood?).

Wombatwarlord777 said:
My big suggestion (and it is a rather big one) is to make custom item/enemy/gargoyle sprites for your mod, in order for them to fit more in Bippo-Bop's distinctive atmosphere rather than that of SRB2. The enemy sprites at least shouldn't be too complicated, perhaps similar to Galto's simple geometric design, but more menacing (for Crawlas, for example, perhaps simple cubes that slowly "roll" towards the player).

You are correct, in that it IS a big suggestion. It is difficult for me to make good-looking sprites. Cubes that roll forward would be difficult to do in such a way that does not come off as a joke enemy. Considering that the current bippo sprites are the best sprites I have ever done, you can see how hard it would be for me to beat the current design for some enemies, and especially the design for the gargoyles.

If someone else could do spriting for enemies and other entities in this game, that would be greatly appreciated, and I would likely repay such a deed with custom SOCcing in return.

There will likely be a gravity trick or five somewhere along the line. I do not know how much or little I shall use gravity, but it is, after all, too good to pass up. Of course, I will be using pretty much every trick I can think of over the course of the game, and even some I cannot think of. Yes, I’m more creative even than myself sometimes.

That all said, I apologize for taking such a long unannounced haitus. College and other projects are responsible for that. Fortunately, the latest version is not far from being ready for release. The levels are complete (though may be revised slightly).

I MIGHT be adding voice-acting of some sort to the next version of the game, as well.

Man, cutscenes take a long time. You would think that it would be easy, especially since I do not use images, yet coming up with the story is quite a task. And I still have two left to go. I honestly have no idea how long it will be before the next release.

In the meantime, here is a screenshot.

srb2map9.png

As you can see, I implimented actual rings. The actual rings are hidden among the point-awarding rings, and are not always in plain sight. Actual rings, ironically, are not attracted by the attraction shield.

Also, I noticed the typo after taking the screenshot. That “that” is not supposed to be there.

The cutscenes are complete, new music is in (two songs which currently only appear at the ends of the final cutscenes, but will appear in later levels), and a few things are fixed with the new levels. I am currently working on Potpourri. I doubt that there will be voice-acting in this version.

And no, there will not be any jetty-syns in the levels that have been added in this version. They will appear later, but not in this version. And one thing I shall warn you all about in advance is that some parts of the game will be less dark and ominous, perhaps even happy. This is because, were I to make everthing in the game dark and moody, it would all look the same, becoming more emo than actually dark.

I am pretty much done with most of what needs to be done, I think. Here are the things that may have yet to be done:

- Touch-up the appearance of the level. Make things look more pretty, bleak, or whatever the level is meant to look like.
- If I get to it, add voice-acting. If I don’t, well, it’s not worth delaying the next demo for.
- Update unlockables, if necessary.
- Misc. touch-up.

DING! Pie’s done!

In a far less roundabout way of saying it, the next demo is out. Check the first post.

Played the first two levels, and I gotta say, pretty fun! I love the plot, and it actually reminds me of the Maximum Ride series. It has a group of transformed heros, who have a guy with a huge amount of resources chasing them, and a voice is guiding them away, so, IMO, plot is good.

As for levels, if this was normal SRB2, they would suck, but for what you are doing, they are pretty good, easy way gets no rewards, and hard way does, perfect.

OK, this seems epic. I want to know, though, how to move the score, time, and ring thingies around to different places. Also, did you edit the in-game mouse sprites for Bippo?

Yes, the mouse sprites were the base for Bippo’s sprites. I pretty much double-sized the sprites, made the sprite more detailed, and hoped for the best. And to move around the HUD, you can use SOCEdit.

And Maximum Ride… Y’know, I had never thought of it, but that is an interesting comparison.

Last edited:
No, the shields are too big. It doesn't work very well. You need to scale the shields down to fit the characters.

That's what I was saying.

I think, personally, you should add friction. It just seems weird without friction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back