Question about Linedef Type 160

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawfulfan

The Tortured Planet guy
Is there an undocumented variable by which some element of the behavior of Floating, Bobbing FOFs is adjusted? I ask because the strength of the bob, and sometimes even whether or not it bobs at all, seems to vary from instance to instance in my levels, and I'm wondering if it has something to do with the way I'm setting up my control sectors.

Apart from gravity, I don't think there's anything else that affects how the FOF behaves while bobbing. I could be wrong though.

I just checked for you, and nope, there's nothing undocumented.

Well, that's peculiar, because LD160 experiences strange behavior randomly for me. Sometimes, FOFs I make with it float, but don't bob at all.

They bob depending on how much force you hit them with. Jump while on top of them and they hardly budge, but fall from a high place and they just plummet down.

I know that, but this is different. It's more like they bob at different speeds or constant forces. For example, take a look at Tortured Planet. The books in the water in AAZ2 and the crates in DDZ1 are both Floating, Bobbing FOFs, but they exhibit different behavior. Try playing around with both of them, and you'll see what I mean.

I know that, but this is different. It's more like they bob at different speeds or constant forces. For example, take a look at Tortured Planet. The books in the water in AAZ2 and the crates in DDZ1 are both Floating, Bobbing FOFs, but they exhibit different behavior. Try playing around with both of them, and you'll see what I mean.
I don't want to. If you can't be bothered to make an example wad, why should someone be bothered to fix the problem?

It isn't that I "can't be bothered". It's that I don't know what causes the problem, so I don't know how to set it up as an example WAD. I might not be able to recreate it.

I'll try to make an example WAD, but there's a good chance I'll fail to construct the scenario. If that's the case, then, as I said, it's already available in the areas I mentioned beforehand.

EDIT: I can't recreate the bug. The only examples of it I can offer you are the ones in Tortured Planet.

Last edited:
I just tried finding floating creates in DDZ1 and had no luck. And I don't even know what AAZ stands for.

Take the alternate path in the first submerged street area. One of them is located at X:-2496, Y:1024. This floating crate works perfectly, though, so perhaps it's a poor example.

AAZ is Alien Armageddon Zone, the last zone in the game (excluding Star Showdown). One of the glitched-up floating, bobbing FOFs can be found in MAP26 at coordinates X:-7760, Y:14832.

Can you give any insight as to why it isn't bobbing properly?

I think I've grasped the problem. When tagging multiple sectors to a Floating Bobbing FOF, you expect them to be the same FOF, right? Right, that way, when you jump on one all bob equally. The thing is, it pretty much screws things up when you have too many of them. They seem to bob more quickly the more sectors you tag, until you have so many the game doesn't seem to bob at all, being so fast.

This bug can be found in DSZ1, at the large room with the "waterfalls" that come from the ceiling and where Sonic's emblem is, where 6 sectors are tagged to the same Floating Bobbing FOF. In this case, none actually seem to bob at all. The bug, however, is not on the room with the unclimbable walls and the little wall maze for knuckles, since all 4 floating platforms have an individual FOF.

Last edited:
Oh, THAT. I think that might be caused by having lots of thinkers affecting the same FOF, creating an unintended effect.

That seems likely. Yeah, #160 could definitely be retooled to work a little better. It was one of the first custom thinkers we had.

Well, I guess that answers my question. Yet another disadvantage to being lazy and having floating, bobbing FOFs share tags.

Also, make sure you give each one a different control sector, unless you want them to be synchronous for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back