Questions on the TAL sprites and on functions for projectiles

Icalasari

For the TAL sprites, there are so many and with them all having such similar names, it leaves me a bit braindead checking them. Exactly what is necessary for it, and which TAL names correspond with each kind? I know TAL0 corresponds with standing and waiting, and TAL6 with running, but otherwise not sure (244 sprites is a lot to go through)

For the projectiles, I'm more wondering if there is something obvious I'm missing in the action, mf flags, or some other line to make it able to break FF_KNUX objects? I'm fine with learning how to make a custom action for it if need be, but would rather go with built in functions wherever possible

(Also I suppose a third question: Is it allowed to make a thread for the mod in Editing and ask the questions there? I'm a little confused as it seems to make Editing Help pointless, yet I see threads dedicated outright to just a specific question there? I'm sure me condensing all these questions into one place would be appreciated XD)

For the TAL0-TALB sprites, while the sprite names can only be 4 characters long, the state names that use the sprites can be longer, containing more information about their context.

Here's a list of what the TAL0-TALB sprites are for, based on the state names:
TAL0: Standing still
TAL1: Miscellaneous (including walking, jumping, rolling, swimming, falling, et cetera), with the tails 0 degrees up/down
TAL2: Miscellaneous, with the tails 30 degrees up (which is when the player is moving forwards and downwards)
TAL3: Miscellaneous, with the tails 60 degrees up (which is when the player is moving mostly downwards)
TAL4: Miscellaneous, with the tails 30 degrees down (which is when the player is moving forwards and upwards)
TAL5: Miscellaneous, with the tails 60 degrees down (which is when the player is moving mostly upwards)
TAL6: Running
TAL7: Flying outside water
TAL8: Tired/Worn-out flying outside water
TAL9: Taking damage
TALA: Gasping for air, on contact with an air bubble underwater
TALB: Teetering/Balancing on the edge of a platform

Source: https://git.do.srb2.org/STJr/SRB2/blob/SRB2_release_2.2.6/src/info.c#L791-803
Also note that you don't need to have all of these sprites (though I would recommend it if you feel like making them). If you don't have TAL5 sprites, it'll use TAL4 sprites in its place, and if you don't have TAL4 sprites, it'll use TAL1 sprites in its place, et cetera.

Thank you so much! This also answers for me what those states each match up to on the wiki (Maybe I should go add those descriptions to the wiki since the state names were... Not exactly helpful for the angle ones)

Now just to figure out why Gunslinger and this don't work well together

EDIT: This also answers some questions on how to make a custom followitem. Still not sure all the how, but that base code is easier to follow than the wiki XD

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back