How do I get opengl to work with v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason, I cannot find out how to get opengl to work with SRB2 V2.0. I've tried the same method that I would use for 1.9.4, but it would not display in opengl format. Could somebody please tell me how to get it to work?

Yes, it was. OpenGL is no longer supported by SRB2 at all.

Shame, really; it helped with framerate a LOT if your computer's 3D rendering capabilities were good. I hope they'll bring it back at some point.

Is this the part where I point you to the Ports topic and show that there's an OpenGL port for 2.0?

Is this the part where I point out that those builds are not anywhere close to supported and crashes and visual errors are more frequent then ever?

Seriously, the only real advantage to OGL I can think of at this point is the framerate. There's too many downsides for it to be useful.

(And before you mention looking straight up/down, that's useless. Seriously.)

Is this the part where I point out that those builds are not anywhere close to supported and crashes and visual errors are more frequent then ever?

Seriously, the only real advantage to OGL I can think of at this point is the framerate. There's too many downsides for it to be useful.

I don't know...I've tried it, and, yeah, while there are more problems in this version than there were in 1.09.4, it's never crashed on me, and I've only seen a few screwups. Plus, I got MD2 up and running in 2.0; it works perfectly!

I don't know...I've tried it, and, yeah, while there are more problems in this version than there were in 1.09.4, it's never crashed on me, and I've only seen a few screwups. Plus, I got MD2 up and running in 2.0; it works perfectly!

How you entered in OGL in 2.0?!?!
tell me please I love OGL

Plus, I got MD2 up and running in 2.0; it works perfectly!
Really? Wow! I wonder why the code didn't magically break itself when the version number changed!

Now, quickly, go join 2.0 servers and fail consistency as fast as you can!

Stability is the same or better on all DirectX/FMOD, Linux and Mac OS X builds of SRB2 in that topic...

I beg to differ. I've lost count of the (probably not triple digits but still) times where I cursed Software's inadequacies.

Still, with the stability of OGL crapped out as is, I'd rather use Software, for now.

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but OpenGL even in its crippled form is still more stable than software, and will run with a better frame rate on your computer if you have a graphics card younger than ten years old.

The issue is not efficiency or stability, just the simple fact that you'll get a bunch of odd artifacts when OpenGL tries to replicate a graphical feature that it doesn't know how to do, like fog blocks and repeating midtextures at this point, among other things. Hence why OpenGL is not included in the official build. We want you all to make use of the new graphical features and not worry about whether or not OpenGL users will get shafted.

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but OpenGL even in its crippled form is still more stable than software, and will run with a better frame rate on your computer if you have a graphics card younger than ten years old.
More stable? It crashes waaay more often on me than software (e.g. Software never crashes, OpenGl on ERZ2 crashes just as often as 2.0.3 did.)

OpenGL hardly crashes!

More stable? It crashes waaay more often on me than software (e.g. Software never crashes, OpenGl on ERZ2 crashes just as often as 2.0.3 did.)

This is false for me. Somehow where I would get a sigsegv somewhere in a level, in Software, I wouldn't get a sigsegv in that level in OpenGl. It's kind of like OpenGL is crash proof to me.

This is false for me. Somehow where I would get a sigsegv somewhere in a level, in Software, I wouldn't get a sigsegv in that level in OpenGl. It's kind of like OpenGL is crash proof to me.

Even with or without sigsev failures in opengl, you get horrid things on it, for example, the spikes on GFZ are not right, they're messed up. When tiny, you only see your shadow (If you got shadows on) and such

Visual glitches in OpenGL are bound to happen. OpenGL renders things differently than software, so things designed to work in software generally would look odd in OpenGL.

Of course, this fact is what made OpenGL so very awesome. I really hope that when we finally hit the last bits of development on SRB2, we can consider officially supporting OpenGL again. There's just so much raw potential in there than Software can ever provide, and I'd love to see it used.

So we can use OpenGL after all, it's just not recommended with this version because of visuals that fail?

Not ALL of the things fail, you still get neat and smooth visuals with opengl, as it was for 1.09.4, its the same story, it just doesn't come with the 2.0 package, which i can't complain as for being still in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back