SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Editing

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #21
Ace Dragon

2.2.5 is out.

What that means is that thanks to Hannu Hanhi's work, I can safely look at targeting OpenGL because of the freedom it will bring for mapping.

See the difference between two effects that are impossible to avoid in two levels. The greenhouse roofs in LWZ2 can now be transparent and SGZ can have its FoF barriers without incident (the left column is OpenGL, the right column is software).
Click image for larger version

Name:	SGZ1-2.gif
Views:	39
Size:	6.14 MB
ID:	34473Click image for larger version

Name:	SGZ1-3.gif
Views:	30
Size:	7.69 MB
ID:	34474

Name:	LWZ2-OpenGL.gif
Views:	24
Size:	5.66 MB
ID:	34475Click image for larger version

Name:	LWZ2-Software.gif
Views:	22
Size:	7.92 MB
ID:	34476
Ace Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #22
Ace Dragon

More off and on work, more custom badniks and large-scale traveral. This includes the first two-hit badnik of what is currently known as the Creative Worlds Pack, but since you are in the second level it is easy to deal with.

Name:	BC1-3.gif
Views:	20
Size:	7.49 MB
ID:	35722 Click image for larger version

Name:	SGZ1-4.gif
Views:	21
Size:	3.73 MB
ID:	35723

Anyone wanting to make complex multi-directional custom assets on a decent scale should really take a look at that thread where you can render it out in Blender, as a complete badnik asset for instance might see the time you spend in SLADE (for scripting and other things) match or surpass the time needed to create the sprites (which means a quick turnaround time).
Ace Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #23
BlueZero4

This is all looking really great! Lots of detailed geometry here.

From a color design perspective, the blue in the sky feels really heavy to me. The saturation and brightness overwhelm the ground. In the figure-ground relationship, I think of the sky as the "ground" that gives relief from the figure of the stage geometry, and I want the sky brighter to give me that relief.

If you've never color-picked from a photo of the sky before, it's a real trip. The color values look so wrong at-a-glance and out-of-context. The sky is actually way way brighter and way way less saturated than you think it is.
BlueZero4 is offline   Reply With Quote