Touch-pop moniters or similar mechanism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joat

Gum Phoenix
Other than creating a monitor in adventure mode or hacking SRB2, does anyone know of a way to make an object that will trigger an effect upon being touched? Or a way to make a monitor break when touched, rather than having to be hit?

Already tried it. It makes the player pick up the item, but how do I make it do something other than play a sound as it is picked up.

EDIT: I have a large feeling that P_TouchSpecialThing is hardcoded.

Figured so. I think I read that somewhere before.

Anyway, now that that is out of the question… does anyone else have any other ideas?

I have an idea of some sort. It has to do with giving the monitors the MF_MISSILE tag, and giving them a damage of zero, so that the monitor initiates its death state upon contact with the player yet does no damage. But I still have yet to figure all of it out yet. I haven’t yet been able to make it initiate its death state upon contact with the player.

I also tried to make it so that its initial state has an A_LOOK action attached to it, so when it sees the player, it initiates its see state, but it seems that, despite the implication of the wiki, there is no way to set the view radius so low that the player would have to be right next to it to initiate the see state.

Then I tried giving it the MF_SPRING tag, so it would initiate its seestate when contacted, but it wouldn’t give the player the bonus. Apparently, it didn’t count as being broken by the player

However, there is one thing I did manage to actually succeed at, and that is making it so that the monitor is intangible, but can be shot with a ring to be obtained. However, that is not good enough for obvious reasons.

I also tried giving the player the MF_MISSILE attribute, to try to remedy the problem with the above method. However, nigh-invincibility and poor control made that one a no-go.

Maybe after sharing with you what I did, you guys will be able to help me think of a way to make one of those methods work, or think of a like method that will work.

However, there is one thing I did manage to actually succeed at, and that is making it so that the monitor is intangible, but can be shot with a ring to be obtained. However, that is not good enough for obvious reasons. -- MF Shootable?

My apologies for the double-post, but I have something you guys may want to know. I figured it out. Mind, if you are off the ground when you collect the power-up, you will lose your air-time, but other than that, it works flawlessly.

Here’s how I did it to the Super Ring Box, as an example:

- Set the flags to: MF_SOLID, MF_SPRING, MF_NOGRAVITY. The last is not really necessary, though. This makes it call Seestate when it is touched.
- Gave it the Seestate S_SUPERRINGBOX2, and gave it a sound to match.
- Reduced its speed and damage to zero. After all, just because the game treats it like a spring doesn’t mean we want it to actually act like one.
- Modified S_SUPERRINGBOX2 to call A_FindTarget (Var1=0, Var2=0), and last 0 seconds. This is the key part that made it all fit. Without it, the monitor will not give the rings to anyone, because it has no target.
- Modified S_SUPERRINGBOX3 to last 0 seconds.

I’m pretty sure that is all. There it is, for anyone who wants to put touch-pop monitors in their own mods.

EDIT: Oh, and you need to set Painchance to ten, or it will only award 8 rings.

EDIT 2: Found a bug. If you collect such an item on a FOF, it shoves you under. Hm…

Joat said:
EDIT 2: Found a bug. If you collect such an item on a FOF, it shoves you under. Hm…
Yeah, I was messing with socs once and I noticed 0 didn't seem to actually mean "zero upward thrust". You might have to mess with numbers for a bit.

Think maybe .001 or something like that would work? Would it be rounded down to 0 and actually act as 0 thrust?

I’ll try it later and see if it works.

Joat said:
Think maybe .001 or something like that would work? Would it be rounded down to 0 and actually act as 0 thrust?

I’ll try it later and see if it works.
I highly doubt that it'll do anything.

try 1. It should be enough to keep you from going under, with a cloe to unnoticeable bounce up.

I tried it. It creates a noticable jumpiness that, in my opinion, isn’t really worth it.

If I include it in a wad, I will not directly place it atop a FOF, until I figure out how to fix this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back