SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Editing > Editing Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-03-2012   #1
"Project Mufik"
Default Sonic's "spin attack's" color location

Hi!
I just registered in there, so I hope you don't mind if this is in wrong section.

I have own SRB2 project what's called "Mufik the Hedgehog". It's actually a little and childish parody about Sonic the Hedgehog. Now what I need to do is to find Sonic's spin attack color's location. All I know is that it is hardcoded inside the .exe, because in sonic.plr I couldn't find the S_SKIN lump. I just need to replace the blue color with brown. I have managed to replace Sonic's sprites with my own character's sprites by editing the SRB2.EXE in hex editor so it should be easy if I just know the color's location.

ps. I know that my English is bad.

Thanks.
-Eemil

EDIT:
I saw that there was edit help section, but now I found that there isn't delete option to delete posts.

Last edited by "Project Mufik"; 05-03-2012 at 03:41 PM.
"Project Mufik" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #2
Monster Iestyn
Fangtastic
Administrator
 
Monster Iestyn's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Project Mufik" View Post
EDIT:
I saw that there was edit help section, but now I found that there isn't delete option to delete posts.
There is an option to delete posts via the "Edit" button, actually.

But since you want this topic in the Editing Help section, I'll move it there for you now...
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #3
Chrome
KartKrew™
 
Chrome's Avatar
Default

I believe what your talking about is a thokitem or spinitem. Both of these are generally determined by the prefcolor (With a few exceptions).

http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Character_...rial#prefcolor
__________________
Your freedom lies within the Hidden Sanctuary.
Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #4
"Project Mufik"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
I believe what your talking about is a thokitem or spinitem. Both of these are generally determined by the prefcolor (With a few exceptions).

http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Character_...rial#prefcolor
That's just what I meant. Only problem is that I can't find Sonic's S_SKIN, where prefcolor is. Tails' and Knuckles' one is in their .plr files, but Sonic's should be in the main EXE, if I am right.
"Project Mufik" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #5
Monster Iestyn
Fangtastic
Administrator
 
Monster Iestyn's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Project Mufik" View Post
That's just what I meant. Only problem is that I can't find Sonic's S_SKIN, where prefcolor is. Tails' and Knuckles' one is in their .plr files, but Sonic's should be in the main EXE, if I am right.
Yep, Sonic's S_SKIN is buried in SRB2's source code.

And to save you time searching through that, it's actually found in "r_things.c".
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #6
"Project Mufik"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Iestyn View Post
Yep, Sonic's S_SKIN is buried in SRB2's source code.

And to save you time searching through that, it's actually found in "r_things.c".
Yeah, I found word r_things.c inside the main exe. There are words like "prefcolor" and "spinitem" but there isn't any numbers like "prefcolor = 7" (7 means blue). Any ideas? If no, I probably need to give up this thing. Bad thing is, that blue color wont suit my character at all.. But I dont want to recompile SRB2 via source code.
"Project Mufik" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #7
Monster Iestyn
Fangtastic
Administrator
 
Monster Iestyn's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Project Mufik" View Post
There are words like "prefcolor" and "spinitem" but there isn't any numbers like "prefcolor = 7" (7 means blue)
Code:
 
strcpy(skin->prefcolor, "7");
There you go - that's what you should be looking for. (Well, at least one of them, just to give you an idea)

Last edited by Monster Iestyn; 05-03-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #8
"Project Mufik"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Iestyn View Post
Code:
 
strcpy(skin->prefcolor, "7");
There you go - that's what you should be looking for. (Well, at least one of them, just to give you an idea)
Yep, that string exist in source code but I cant find that string in main exe. Maybe it is someway in hexadecimal? So there is not any hope?
"Project Mufik" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #9
Callum
 
Callum's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Project Mufik" View Post
Yep, that string exist in source code but I cant find that string in main exe. Maybe it is someway in hexadecimal? So there is not any hope?
That's because a compiled program is not made up of human-readable source code ;P
Callum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #10
"Project Mufik"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callum View Post
That's because a compiled program is not made up of human-readable source code ;P
Still, there are many strings, what are just copied from source. Ex. Cutscenes texts and menu texts + characters names.

And its just strange why didnt Sonic Team Junior include Sonic's S_SKIN in sonic.plr like Knux and Tails.
And I dont want to add another character. I just want to replace Sonic with my sprites.

Last edited by "Project Mufik"; 05-04-2012 at 03:54 AM.
"Project Mufik" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #11
"Project Mufik"
Default

Maybe a little OT but I just remember that I started this project years ago, and then my computer broke up. About 2 years later, I managed to rescue my project from my broken computer's hard drive. I just realized that I am using version 1.9.4! Is there any way to play same servers which are in v2.0.6? Also, it is impossible to get my modded SRB2.SRB or sonic.plr to work in 2.0.6. Besides, I need to modify that 2.0.6 SRB2.exe with hex editor again... :(
Any ideas?
-Eemil
"Project Mufik" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #12
Monster Iestyn
Fangtastic
Administrator
 
Monster Iestyn's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Project Mufik" View Post
And its just strange why didnt Sonic Team Junior include Sonic's S_SKIN in sonic.plr like Knux and Tails.
There's a good reason for that - Sonic's S_SKIN settings are set as the default S_SKIN settings for any character; i.e, if you don't set something for any of the wide range of S_SKIN parameters for a custom character, the game will just get the character to use whatever Sonic uses for those parameters instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Project Mufik" View Post
I just realized that I am using version 1.9.4! Is there any way to play same servers which are in v2.0.6?
Only if you're actually using 2.0.6 itself can you play those servers, since for obvious reasons (or at least, they should be obvious) 1.09.4 and 2.0.6 are not compatible with each other in that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Project Mufik" View Post
Also, it is impossible to get my modded SRB2.SRB or sonic.plr to work in 2.0.6. Besides, I need to modify that 2.0.6 SRB2.exe with hex editor again... :(
Any ideas?
SRB2 has a built-in MD5 checker to make sure the files you're using are the real deal - that's why.

Last edited by Monster Iestyn; 05-04-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #13
"Project Mufik"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Iestyn View Post
There's a good reason for that - Sonic's S_SKIN settings are set as the default S_SKIN settings for any character; i.e, if you don't set something for any of the wide range of S_SKIN parameters for a custom character, the game will just get the character to use whatever Sonic uses for those parameters instead.



Only if you're actually using 2.0.6 itself can you play those servers, since for obvious reasons (or at least, they should be obvious) 1.09.4 and 2.0.6 are not compatible with each other in that way.



SRB2 has a built-in MD5 checker to make sure the files you're using are the real deal - that's why.
But as I said, you can cheat that checker, if you modify the exe's "wanted" hexadecimals with your "found" ones.
"Project Mufik" is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.