SRB2Wii development thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Callum

I've decided to start working on an SRB2Wii, using debian-etch-4.0+whiite-0.1+xwhiite-0.2 as a base, and customising it to specially run SRB2. Theoretically, the current lsdlsrb2 build I have now WILL load, but only in OpenGL mode because the Software renderer doesn't work on big-endian systems yet either. So I'm waiting on Logan and Alam to fix the software renderer and hopefully they'll be able to backport the changes for me to 1.09.4a so I can test SRB2 with video. With some help, we can also perhaps have a launcher menu to choose between loading SRB2 (with wads as well), downloading wads from the SRB2 repository that Alam will set up on the srb2.org server, and downloading WAD files from a USB stick, and possibly other options too. Of course the PowerPC DEB packages will also work on an unmodified xwhiite distro as long as the dependencies are installed (and they are available from the Debian repositories). Of course I have a softmodded Wii to try this on, but I need to buy a bigger SD card to do this (which I am tomorrow as of this post's edit date). The PowerPC packages could also theoretically run on a PlayStation 3 running any Debian or RPM-based distribution, but I haven't got a PS3, nor does anyone I know so I can't confirm this.

Ambitious, but entirely possible, and I have so much time on my hands I can do this quite quickly =)

EDIT: For people who are going to complain about the PS3's Linux capabilities being crap, I'm well aware of the restrictions provided by the PS3's hypervisor. The thing is, I'm confident in SRB2's ability to run on absolutely anything, and also this can be a good read, it's about progress made for workarounds to the hypervisor (it's a bit technical for people who aren't like that) http://wiki.ps2dev.org/ps3:rsx

EDIT2: Whoo! I cannot thank Alam enough for helping me fix the compiling issues with OpenGL, SDL_mixer and PNG. SRB2 Linux for PPC should now work properly.

Another update for you guys!
The cross-compiling I was doing on my laptop was too much of a chore, so I just decided to compile everything on my Wii. If you guys actually want some evidence of stuff actually getting done, here is some screenshots of me compiling Mesa3D on my Wii:

The first link is actually me getting surprised by my sister with the camera, so ignore it...>_>

SRB2WII NOW WORKS!

SRB2Wii_working.jpg

Finally.

SRB2 - SRB2Wii testing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0VEe6ijYrA

SRB2 .desktop files

link to OpenGL fails in the post (nvm that)
the files's Icons lines are wrong:
Code:
Icon=/home/Callum/Desktop/lsdlsrb2-1.09.4a/lsdlsrb2.png
Icon[en_US]=gnome-panel-launcher
you should add the SRB2 icon as /usr/share/icons/SRB21094.png in the packages, use that as Icon and remove Icon[en_US] line

also, for myself, I would put Terminal=true to have a text console to play with

the desktop files should goes to /usr/share/applications folder

also, SRB2 would search for the SRB2.srb file (and other) in:
Currect Working Folder, then in $SRBWADDIR then
Code:
#define DEFAULTWADLOCATION1 "/usr/local/games/srb2"
#define DEFAULTWADLOCATION2 "/usr/games/srb2"
#define DEFAULTSEARCHPATH1 "/usr/local"
#define DEFAULTSEARCHPATH2 "/usr/games"

Thanks, Alam. Well, all the packages are uploaded, the SRB2ME packages will have proper launchers, so stay tuned I guess.

You know, I did say we have our methods, but noooo, you don't listen. :)

EDIT: Or was that Conic I said it to...?

Mmm, right.

Well, if people under Ubuntu are having problems with SRB2 complaining about SDL_mixer not being installed, check the first post.

Whoo, linux support! Thanks Callum.
My system isn't a native i386, it's an amd64. I had to force the architecture of the deb package which I used. Quite annoying in fact. :(
Code:
sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i '/home/foobar/Desktop/lsdlsrb2_1.09.4a-2_i386.deb'

It works like a charm even after installing it though! The only gripe I have about it is that the sound is delayed. It can get quite frustrating when trying to see where someone might be thokking or shooting a ring in your general direction. I'm assuming that this is a problem with SRB2 on linux by default? Regardless, I still like it.

Also to copy wads into the /usr/games/srb2/ folder, you can always copy them or move them.
Copy
Code:
sudo cp <file> <destination>
Move
Code:
sudo mv <file> <destination>

The sound being delayed is not a fault with the SRB2 packages I provide. The only thing that I would know to be causing that sort of issue is PulseAudio, which can be a huge system hog. I just remove PulseAudio, for me, it just makes more latency and CPU usage, under Ubuntu it can be easily removed by "sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio" and ignore it if it says it's uninstalling ubuntu-desktop.

A sound daemon being a system hog would be no cause for sound lag. Most of the time it happens because of an excessively large sound buffer or overhead while processing (or transporting) the information. If the daemon were a system hog, different things would be happening, trust me.

PulseAudio's caused me hell, it HAS been giving me these issues, and the CPU usage for even something as simple as playing something in Rhythmbox takes a lot of CPU usage.

Callum said:
PulseAudio's caused me hell, it HAS been giving me these issues, and the CPU usage for even something as simple as playing something in Rhythmbox takes a lot of CPU usage.
Pulseaudio is garbage...

Just a little update for you guys,

Things are going well. I am now able to compile SRB2 for the PowerPC platform although at the moment I can't compile with OpenGL, SDL_mixer or PNG support (it required the PowerPC version of the development libraries installed, and I haven't done this on the i386 machine I'm compiling SRB2 on) but all this will soon be fixed. Alam and Logan are working on getting the software renderer to work with SRB2 2.0 so until OpenGL works in 2.0 that is a non-issue. I have also successfully built PowerPC RPMs and DEBs for SRB2, although since I don't have a PowerPC system to test them on, I don't know if they work.

I've also decided to start working on an SRB2Wii, using debian-etch-4.0+whiite-0.1+xwhiite-0.2 as a base, and customising it to specially run SRB2. Theoretically, the current lsdlsrb2 build I have now WILL load, but only without video since compiling with OpenGL doesn't work yet and the Software renderer doesn't work on big-endian systems yet either. So I'm waiting on Logan and Alam to fix the software renderer and hopefully they'll be able to backport the changes for me to 1.09.4a so I can test SRB2 with video. With some help, we can also perhaps have a launcher menu to choose between loading SRB2 (with wads as well), downloading wads from the SRB2 repository that Alam will set up on the srb2.org server, and downloading WAD files from a USB stick, and possibly other options too. Of course the PowerPC DEB packages will also work on an unmodified xwhiite distro as long as the dependencies are installed (and they are available from the Debian repositories). Of course I have a softmodded Wii to try this on, but I need to buy a bigger SD card to do this (which I am tomorrow as of this post's edit date). The PowerPC packages could also theoretically run on a PlayStation 3 running any Debian or RPM-based distribution, but I haven't got a PS3, nor does anyone I know so I can't confirm this.

Ambitious, but entirely possible, and I have so much time on my hands I can do this quite quickly =)

Okay, once I get my Wii hacked and this is done, I want it! So you're saying it has a new menu for downloading wads if you make a PS3 and Wii version? If that's correct, I'm so getting it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back