SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Archived > Outdated Releases (2.0.X) > Outdated Official Level Design Contest (2.0.X)

Old 09-09-2012   #1801
Metal96

Blargharhagahrgaghrghargh that keeps happening. Fixed.
Old 09-09-2012   #1802
Ice
Pretty chill guy

Lots of vertical variation, sweet! What's that thing on the top left of the last picture, though? It looks rather odd.
Old 09-11-2012   #1803
DrTapeworm
The Crime Slime
Developer

A small preview of what I'm working on for this contest. Hopefully I'll actually finish this one, unlike my previous attempts at an OLDC entry. It's a Match map, combines the forest and volcano themes.

Lava geysers shoot upwards from time to time, working as a sort of makeshift elevator for Sonic players. There will be another way to get up onto the green area, though.

A big, hollow tree with some rings in it. Off to the side is the magnificent Unfinished Path! No refunds.
Old 09-12-2012   #1804
Metal96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
Lots of vertical variation, sweet! What's that thing on the top left of the last picture, though? It looks rather odd.
The level will have a dormant egg factory section somewhere (I'm planning some cool effects!) and this is the second half of a broken waterway. Actually, I may change it if the area doesn't flow... in which it'll be different. Note: involves melting ice and water slides.
Old 09-13-2012   #1805
glaber
Emblem Radar Ready

Emerald Lake act 2 is coming along nicely. just going through to add in the details, rings, and scenery now.

Expect to see it this coming contest, depending on if it happens or not.
Old 09-14-2012   #1806
Metal96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal96 View Post
The level will have a dormant egg factory section somewhere (I'm planning some cool effects!) and this is the second half of a broken waterway. Actually, I may change it if the area doesn't flow... in which it'll be different. Note: involves melting ice and water slides.
Egg factory section scrapped in favor of coherent level design.
Old 09-14-2012   #1807
Ice
Pretty chill guy

'Daww. I was hoping for some cool freezing/metling water sequences. Like, you can't get past an area at first, but hit a button somewhere (or something) that freezes the water so you can run on the surface and keep moving forward. That'd be sweet!
Old 09-14-2012   #1808
MascaraSnake
Retired

These gimmicks usually sound a lot better in theory than they actually are. In reality it pretty much boils down to pressing a button, which isn't exactly the most interesting thing.
Old 09-14-2012   #1809
Charybdizs
it's lamp for supper, kids

Super Mario Galaxy 2 had an interesting level using that gimmick. I should go back to it, just to see again in what interesting ways they used it.
Old 09-17-2012   #1810
Eddie20

I'll probably make a Lava/Favtory themed OLDC Map.
I'm gonna call it Molten Industry Zone.
Old 09-19-2012   #1811
Metal96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
'Daww. I was hoping for some cool freezing/metling water sequences. Like, you can't get past an area at first, but hit a button somewhere (or something) that freezes the water so you can run on the surface and keep moving forward. That'd be sweet!
Fact: that's still in the level. Trust me, it works much better than a button in a factory, keeps the level coherent, and does not suck, as Spiritcrusher pointed out :-P

EDIT: AND I got something REALLY awesome in progress (it involves teleporters and fake cameras) but it's a secret!
Old 09-24-2012   #1812
Pyro the Magma Fox
Totally not using Hydreigon

Heh, I do not seriously know which concept to go with... I guess I COULD try a Tidal Tempest level in a Marble Zone way...
Old 09-26-2012   #1813
glaber
Emblem Radar Ready

I got some preview pictures of my new level.

The other side of the fence from act 1

Knuckles headed to his path (Wall is breakable by sonic and Tails too, kept that way on purpose)

What was at first meant to be a scenic death pit, transformed into part of a new path. (figured people would jump though the "window")

along the path made exclusively for this version of the level (TGF version only had 3)

and yes, I have Pseudoslopes in level, and no, they don't move you. (too shallow an angle for that)
Old 09-26-2012   #1814
Shiron

Dear God, that map looks ugly.

Try some different textures.
Old 09-26-2012   #1815
glaber
Emblem Radar Ready

ok, out of SRB2's default textures, what do you suggest I use? And don't suggest Green Flower Zone's. I used that set in act one last time.
Old 09-26-2012   #1816
Ice
Pretty chill guy

I don't think the textures are the problem, it's just that there are big empty stretches of space that make the wall texture look extra repetitive. That, and that some of those rooms look positively boxish. Try to make them more organic like the third screenshot perhaps?
Old 09-26-2012   #1817
glaber
Emblem Radar Ready

ahh, if that's the problem then I probably just chose bad shots. I can probably also do something about the blandness too.

Believe it or not, I have been trying to work on that.

there's a spot on Knuckles' path that was originally "blocky" I felt, until I added some sectors to make this:

Last edited by glaber; 09-26-2012 at 06:11 AM.
Old 09-26-2012   #1818
Charybdizs
it's lamp for supper, kids

Hmm, looks like a lot of empty space, for sure. If that is the start in the first screenshot, it is so bland. The start should always be very interesting visually, because it is what is going to set the player's mood for the rest of the level. Also, maybe you ought to try making those textures 2x? Loving that sky, though.
Old 09-27-2012   #1819
Boinciel
ヒトデパンと奇妙なジャム
Administrator

No, the textures are a huge problem. Emerald Hill Zone's walls were never meant to fill huge spaces. See this?

You only ever see a little piece of the wall at a time, and that works for such a noisy pattern. The bricks don't even tile perfectly, but that doesn't matter because you wouldn't even be able to stack 2 of them vertically within the screen size of the Mega Drive. Compounding the problem is that there is much forced perspective and perceived depth to the blocks that just falls completely flat when randomly tiled on a bunch of walls. The textures in SRB2 that work the best for that purpose are generally a lot flatter and have less harsh contrast.

Don't treat something so loud as the Emerald Hill blocks as catch-all wallpaper. Think a bit about how you use the textures and what you are trying to represent with them.

hubjim
Old 09-27-2012   #1820
Root
-

I think that level looks good, glaber. But i think you should make the texture's bigger, they look weird when they're that small.