SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Editing

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-05-2020   #1
Trystan The Abomination
Kawaii Potato
 
Trystan The Abomination's Avatar
Default SLW Sonic joins 2.2!

Sonic lost world Sonic The Hedgehog, Joins srb2 as a modded character!
Thanks to ClassicNC Fres, Trevor The Hedgehog, Dark The Hedgehog, Motdspork, Sonic and kirby fan for beta testing, and Sonic CD
:)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20290.gif
Views:	302
Size:	344.3 KB
ID:	38381   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20291.gif
Views:	307
Size:	4.08 MB
ID:	38382   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20292.gif
Views:	220
Size:	4.54 MB
ID:	38383  
__________________
Hello
Im more active on discord: Alex The Abomination#0532
No, Green Grass Eat MY A-

Last edited by Trystan The Abomination; 09-05-2020 at 06:47 PM. Reason: y u be lookin here
Trystan The Abomination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020   #2
myname
Default

thats pretty good
myname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020   #3
Frostiikin
Insert funny hahas here
 
Frostiikin's Avatar
Default

Did you actually get permission from the creators of the individual scripts you're using here this time?
__________________
"B-but I'm already taken, Gale-chan"
-Shine
Frostiikin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020   #4
ClassicNC
welp
 
ClassicNC's Avatar
Default

Maybe he does join SRB2. Maybe not. H M M M M M M M M M
__________________
jake got hit by the sonic boom
jake has passed
ClassicNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020   #5
Trevor
 
Trevor's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostiikin View Post
Did you actually get permission from the creators of the individual scripts you're using here this time?

Yes, he does have permission
__________________
Give me your l i v e r
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020   #6
Trystan The Abomination
Kawaii Potato
 
Trystan The Abomination's Avatar
Default yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostiikin View Post
Did you actually get permission from the creators of the individual scripts you're using here this time?
yes, yes i did
__________________
Hello
Im more active on discord: Alex The Abomination#0532
No, Green Grass Eat MY A-
Trystan The Abomination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020   #7
Expert
 
Expert's Avatar
Default

whens he releasing.
__________________
SONIC NEEDS AN ANIME STAN
Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020   #8
Daviroll_Limit
Christmas so early?
 
Daviroll_Limit's Avatar
Default

nice preview already, but I wish the shoes on the sprites were fitting with the CSS artwork
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero Claudius
"HASHIRE SORI YO, KAZE NO YOU NI, TSUKIMIHARA WO, PADORU PADORU"
my discord name: 「デビッド~」|PC-98|#4594 (i know, very original)
My epic Twitter Account
Daviroll_Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020   #9
ClassicNC
welp
 
ClassicNC's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert View Post
whens he releasing.
When he does
__________________
jake got hit by the sonic boom
jake has passed
ClassicNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020   #10
Trystan The Abomination
Kawaii Potato
 
Trystan The Abomination's Avatar
Default yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviroll_Limit View Post
nice preview already, but I wish the shoes on the sprites were fitting with the CSS artwork
we are ready to change that, we are using flare sprites as placeholders

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert View Post
whens he releasing.
When i want him to release, when hes done
__________________
Hello
Im more active on discord: Alex The Abomination#0532
No, Green Grass Eat MY A-
Trystan The Abomination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020   #11
DrStephen
[Squeak]
 
DrStephen's Avatar
Default

Alright so.. I've been eyeing this thread for a while now trying to formulate what I want to say without coming off as mean but... I've got a few questions to make about this project.

First, what IS that custom color
It's so overly saturated it's really hard to look at, it's like you've removed half of the color's shading and made the highlights literally pure white. If you're trying to replicate how Sonic looks in Lost World, you should take into consideration that 3D models (and therefor, their textures) are a whole different beast than 2D sprites. It may look like Sonic's one flat color but it works due to the engine's lighting, to put it simply. 2D sprites require the shading to look good - and you're removing it.

Secondly, the CSS colors are inconsistent with the actual sprites, plus it looks... wrong. It's unsaturated for some reason and his shoes have a gray soles?

Thirdly, the life icon looks super choppy and pixelated. It's even cut off from the top. At this point it'd look far better to try and replicate lost world's hud all together. Right now it looks incredibly lazy, like you copy pasted the icon and didn't bother to do anything more than that.

Fourthly, the jump/spin sprites are just... a blue ball. With slight wobbling from what I can tell. To be honest it just looks terrible, I don't see the reason to remove the perfectly alright ROLL frames. Are you trying to replicate the jump from SLW? To be frank it's still not pretty there either, it's just a blue ball. You have the sprites, why remove them?

And finally, this is just... a mishmash of lua. That you didn't make. Sure, you say you got permission to use these but honestly? This feels like 90% other people's work and the rest is just you compiling it. I could be wrong, you could have further plans to work on with this project but I implore you to put in some work to polishing this character if you seriously care for it.

Even then, I don't feel this justifies as a separate "character", might as well just make it a Lua modification for vanilla Sonic.
__________________
proud owner of chadpack, werehog may scream, spiderhog and hat kid in a red fox fursuit

Also I do art follow me kthx
https://twitter.com/Gianluu1999
DrStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020   #12
Trystan The Abomination
Kawaii Potato
 
Trystan The Abomination's Avatar
Default bruh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrStephen View Post
Alright so.. I've been eyeing this thread for a while now trying to formulate what I want to say without coming off as mean but... I've got a few questions to make about this project.

First, what IS that custom color
It's so overly saturated it's really hard to look at, it's like you've removed half of the color's shading and made the highlights literally pure white. If you're trying to replicate how Sonic looks in Lost World, you should take into consideration that 3D models (and therefor, their textures) are a whole different beast than 2D sprites. It may look like Sonic's one flat color but it works due to the engine's lighting, to put it simply. 2D sprites require the shading to look good - and you're removing it.

Secondly, the CSS colors are inconsistent with the actual sprites, plus it looks... wrong. It's unsaturated for some reason and his shoes have a gray soles?

Thirdly, the life icon looks super choppy and pixelated. It's even cut off from the top. At this point it'd look far better to try and replicate lost world's hud all together. Right now it looks incredibly lazy, like you copy pasted the icon and didn't bother to do anything more than that.

Fourthly, the jump/spin sprites are just... a blue ball. With slight wobbling from what I can tell. To be honest it just looks terrible, I don't see the reason to remove the perfectly alright ROLL frames. Are you trying to replicate the jump from SLW? To be frank it's still not pretty there either, it's just a blue ball. You have the sprites, why remove them?

And finally, this is just... a mishmash of lua. That you didn't make. Sure, you say you got permission to use these but honestly? This feels like 90% other people's work and the rest is just you compiling it. I could be wrong, you could have further plans to work on with this project but I implore you to put in some work to polishing this character if you seriously care for it.

Even then, I don't feel this justifies as a separate "character", might as well just make it a Lua modification for vanilla Sonic.
its still in beta bruh i never said it was complete, i also never said if anything was going to be final
__________________
Hello
Im more active on discord: Alex The Abomination#0532
No, Green Grass Eat MY A-

Last edited by Trystan The Abomination; 09-07-2020 at 12:54 AM.
Trystan The Abomination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020   #13
ClassicNC
welp
 
ClassicNC's Avatar
Default

The jump frames were my idea :/
I just thought it would make more sense since in lost world, when he jumps he's just a ball. And even I'll admit it looks hella off.
__________________
jake got hit by the sonic boom
jake has passed

Last edited by ClassicNC; 09-07-2020 at 01:24 AM.
ClassicNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020   #14
DrStephen
[Squeak]
 
DrStephen's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by im2 View Post
its still in beta bruh i never said it was complete, i also never said if anything was going to be final
Good to know you're planning to keep working on this, but I seriously want to ask. What exactly are you planning to keep "working on" since EVERYTHING lua related is done by someone else and finished already? Are you planning to make unique sprites? And by that I don't mean "recolor sonic's soles and wham, new sonic". I do believe we've come to a point where we have too many Sonics to be honest, but I wouldn't mind this just being an "SLW Lua Mod" where it just applies the compiled code to vanilla Sonic, instead of creating yet another character slot.

It would have also been nice to know your take on each segment that I critisized instead of deflecting with "its still beta bruh nothing is final". Even ClassicNC commented about one of them. And since I'm talking about it,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicNC View Post
The jump frames were my idea :/
I just thought it would make more sense since in lost world, when he jumps he's just a ball. And even I'll admit it looks hella off.
You definitely had your head in the right place, dont get me wrong. You wanted to replicate the source game, so it's alright. I do recommend that, moving forward, you ask yourself if it's worth replicating something 1 to 1, and if it doesn't make it objectively worse in comparison.
For example, if you were working on a Sonic 06 mod, would you include the game breaking bugs? Even if they made the character unenjoyable?

Also, you can do something similar to Lost World, but giving it more flair. Give it a custom spinball, kinda like Neo Sonic's jumpball.
__________________
proud owner of chadpack, werehog may scream, spiderhog and hat kid in a red fox fursuit

Also I do art follow me kthx
https://twitter.com/Gianluu1999
DrStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020   #15
theoofer
 
theoofer's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert View Post
whens he releasing.
He isn't in a long time.
theoofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020   #16
Snowy
PersistantRubine
 
Snowy's Avatar
Default

The thing that makes it off IMO is the lack of bounce. In Sonic Lost World the ball squash and stretched as you jumped, which helped a bit with making it feel better than a simple spinning sphere. If at all possible, I'd suggest making it squash and stretch based on speed if you really, REALLY want to keep it as the ball it is- so that when you're going faster it looks as though Sonic is- well. Squashing and stretching due to the speed and momentum in the air.
I don't mind the palette look, but I do agree it looks off. I'd suggest laying out your current plans for what you'll be doing so people know what you intend to do, and can offer better constructive criticism.

Here's a suggestion to start with for explaining, if you can't think of a good way to put it.
1: Explain what you intend to do to the sprites and art. What's the end-goal of it? And what would you hope for it to look like by the end within the scope you have?
2: Give us a run-down of anything gameplay changing you plan to do beyond simply putting all of the lua together. Do you plan on making the Charged Homing Attack Barrage from Lost World? Will the spindash change- That I can only currently think seems to be the spamdash- not allow turning to fall in line with how lost world's worked? Give us a bit more of an explanation of your end-gameplay goal with abilities and such.
3: What are some things you don't think you'll do or be able to do, but want to try and attempt at the very least? This would let people help you figure out how to make your ideas work, but don't expect anyone to just do it for you.

And don't feel the need to be secretive either- the editing thread's not just for showing off work, but also for getting feedback on what people think about your plans and such.
__________________
TOGETHER we can show the world what we can do!
You are giving me a little mania!
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020   #17
Trystan The Abomination
Kawaii Potato
 
Trystan The Abomination's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
The thing that makes it off IMO is the lack of bounce. In Sonic Lost World the ball squash and stretched as you jumped, which helped a bit with making it feel better than a simple spinning sphere. If at all possible, I'd suggest making it squash and stretch based on speed if you really, REALLY want to keep it as the ball it is- so that when you're going faster it looks as though Sonic is- well. Squashing and stretching due to the speed and momentum in the air.
I don't mind the palette look, but I do agree it looks off. I'd suggest laying out your current plans for what you'll be doing so people know what you intend to do, and can offer better constructive criticism.

Here's a suggestion to start with for explaining, if you can't think of a good way to put it.
1: Explain what you intend to do to the sprites and art. What's the end-goal of it? And what would you hope for it to look like by the end within the scope you have?
2: Give us a run-down of anything gameplay changing you plan to do beyond simply putting all of the lua together. Do you plan on making the Charged Homing Attack Barrage from Lost World? Will the spindash change- That I can only currently think seems to be the spamdash- not allow turning to fall in line with how lost world's worked? Give us a bit more of an explanation of your end-gameplay goal with abilities and such.
3: What are some things you don't think you'll do or be able to do, but want to try and attempt at the very least? This would let people help you figure out how to make your ideas work, but don't expect anyone to just do it for you.

And don't feel the need to be secretive either- the editing thread's not just for showing off work, but also for getting feedback on what people think about your plans and such.
tbh you are right, i wanted to change the color and i will soon. also, im not a lua guy, i don't know how to do the squish and squashy ball thingy, also for the bounce, thats already implemented.
__________________
Hello
Im more active on discord: Alex The Abomination#0532
No, Green Grass Eat MY A-
Trystan The Abomination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020   #18
Trystan The Abomination
Kawaii Potato
 
Trystan The Abomination's Avatar
Default Hud

i might be planning to put the lost world overhaul hud thingy!
__________________
Hello
Im more active on discord: Alex The Abomination#0532
No, Green Grass Eat MY A-
Trystan The Abomination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020   #19
Ackeneister
A SRB2 Fanatic
 
Ackeneister's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by im2 View Post
i might be planning to put the lost world overhaul hud thingy!
Yeah, and make sure to give credit. Otherwise something bad may happen.
__________________
Just a random guy going around the internet. What did you expect anyways? A RNG signature?
Somebody once told me the world is gonna roll me
Junio Sonic speens
Changed SRB2 IGN back to StinkyBinkyDink, Spooktober is over.
Ackeneister is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.