• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

!!!'s World of Chaos

So far, how do you like !!!'s World of Chaos??? (Poll will last for 14 days. Vote quickly!)

• It's great!!! I can't wait for the final release!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's fine. You still need to work on things to make it better.

• It's horrible. You are not a good 3D level designer.

• It doesn't really matter.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to let you know I'm actually working on this, City Forest Zone 2's Level Layout is finished. Now for the hard part: I have to add all of the control sectors. (More than about 100 of them)

There are lots of control sectors because of the current of the river. (Long river)

I'll post up a link when the boss act is done, and some screenshots.

!!! said:
Just to let you know I'm actually working on this, City Forest Zone 2's Level Layout is finished. Now for the hard part: I have to add all of the control sectors. (More than about 100 of them)

There are lots of control sectors because of the current of the river. (Long river)

I'll post up a link when the boss act is done, and some screenshots.

Wonderful, I hope you get it done soon, !!!.

Ok. (Again) I can't find a reference for glass floors. How do you make transparent flooring just like transparent walls? (Glass floors and walls)

!!! said:
Ok. (Again) I can't find a reference for glass floors. How do you make transparent flooring just like transparent walls? (Glass floors and walls)
Just make a FOF that's transparent with the glass textures.

If you want transparent glass effects with Teleporters, use Linedef number 52 (FOF Transparent, untouchable) Otherwise, use Linedef number 44 (FOF Transparent)

Ok. Making transparent floors above water is fine.

But making them above slime is not.

How could I fix this?

Note: City Forest Zone 2 is about 80% of the way done. The first half of the control sectors are just about the river flowing downstream. The last half is mostly about the end bridge. I have to make a bridge above different floor heights, which means I have to make different control sectors for each part of the bridge. Also, the bridge has rails, which means it'll take double the time.

What now???

Well, I tried adding a colormap to the sectors that makes the transparent floor, but that didn't work. I don't know what to do to it now. Does it look fine the way it looks? Or is there another solution?

QUICK EDIT: The slime has a colormap of #E000E0Z. Should the slime have a different type of colormap?

Ok. You guys think I'm dumb. I checked the one of the original SRB2 levels (Techno Hill Zone 2) and I realized it's supposed to look like that. And I think you'll still think I'm dumb when you see the new levels.

QUICK EDIT: The slime has a colormap of #E000E0Z. Should the slime have a different type of colormap?

Try changing the Z at the end to a different letter, and see what happens.

Actually, nothing happens. (I didn't actually try exery letter in the alphabet because the thing takes a long time to load before I could actually test if it's right. You know, you can't see any water in 3D mode unless it's a flat.)

EDIT:

!!! (Look at page 11) said:

Actually, thre are more than 200! There are small ones too!
Note: Sorry you can't see them until the release.

The problem is a problem with SRB2's renderer and its palette. Simply put, there are only 256 colors that can be displayed in SRB2. What's happening is it's trying to find the closest alternative, and in doing so looks weird because you have several translucent effects on top of each other.

You have, on top of the floor, a colormap, a translucent floor (the slime surface), and another translucent floor (the glass). It's kinda to be expected that it might have trouble with all of that, and it's giving the best approximation it has as to the proper color, which happens to clash a bit. Might I suggest messing with different textures or making the glass clearer by putting "#032" or "#096" on the glass FOF linedef's upper texture?

GCFreak said:
Can we have an option in OpenGL to use a 16-million color palette instead of a 256-color one?
OpenGL can use as many colors as you want. >_>
Just.. not the textures.

Mystic said:
The problem is a problem with SRB2's renderer and its palette. Simply put, there are only 256 colors that can be displayed in SRB2. What's happening is it's trying to find the closest alternative, and in doing so looks weird because you have several translucent effects on top of each other.

You have, on top of the floor, a colormap, a translucent floor (the slime surface), and another translucent floor (the glass). It's kinda to be expected that it might have trouble with all of that, and it's giving the best approximation it has as to the proper color, which happens to clash a bit. Might I suggest messing with different textures or making the glass clearer by putting "#032" or "#096" on the glass FOF linedef's upper texture?

Maybe I'll put that in a "fix" file. I already uploaded the file. Here is the link:

Update 3:1

Updates:
The Gate 1
None

The Gate 2
Now, chance to see sky!

City Forest Zone 1
None

City Forest Zone 2
COMPLETED!!!

City Forest Zone 3
COMPLETED!!!

Other
Title Screen Fix (Sonic appears under the "SONIC")
Start on the updates! Start on City Forest Zone 2 instead of beginning. (SEE THE NEW THINGS!!! YAY!!!)

Have fun! Post any new bugs or errors. Please post any of your opinions about the game so far.

EDIT: There is a poll posted at the top of this page (any page of the topic). Please vote and tell me your opinions about my game. I just want to know if things are going fine.

City Forest Zone 1 and 2 are fun to play, however I have one problem with act 3.

I like fighting multiple eggmen, but this is rediculous! I count over 8 eggmen in this level. I got a Game Over on this and I just decided to give up. Consider removing some.

Shuffle said:
OpenGL can use as many colors as you want. >_>
Just.. not the textures.

Hmm... GZDoom has a DirectDraw Palette Hack, which lets you use 32-bit color textures. Of course, it would bring OpenGL too far away from Software. And in a game like this, using palettes is sometimes a good thing to stick to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back