Issues with custom Thok for Character.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrStephen

My PhD is made out of foam.
Judge
Pretty much what the title says.

I'm on the process of finishing my second wad, which I'd seriously like to not reveal yet. But I'm having a serious problem which is keeping me from fully finishing it. That issue is making a custom thok for the character. I already made the sprites; but as I don't want to replace any of the existing sprites to avoid problems with other mods; I'm trying to use FREESLOT to get it to work.

It's not working at all.

Here's the OBJECTCFG for reference.

#WAD made by ZeroTheArtificial // Dr. Stephen
#If you want to use this WAD/Sprites go ahead as long as you credit me.
#The [SPOILERS] Trash is stronk in this one.

#F*cking Freeslots, I'm too old for dis sh!t
FREESLOT
MT_LEGA
S_LEGA
SPR_LEGA
sfx_pain
sfx_ded
sfx_bark1
sfx_bark2

[Character info here]

#Custom Thok
Thing MT_LEGA
MAPTHINGNUM = -1
SPAWNSTATE = S_LEGA
SPAWNHEALTH = 1000
SEESTATE = 0
SEESOUND = 0
REACTIONTIME = 8
ATTACKSOUND = 0
PAINSTATE = 0
PAINCHANCE = 0
PAINSOUND = 0
MELEESTATE = 0
MISSILESTATE = 0
DEATHSTATE = 0
DEATHSOUND = 0
XDEATHSTATE = 0
SPEED = 0
RADIUS = 65536
HEIGHT = 65536
MASS = 100
DAMAGE = 0
ACTIVESOUND = 0
RAISESTATE = 0
DISPOFFSET = -1
FLAGS = MF_NOBLOCKMAP|MF_NOGRAVITY|MF_NOCLIP|MF_SCENERY

FRAME S_LEGA
SPRITENUMBER = LEGA
SPRITESUBNUMBER = 32768
DURATION = 3
NEXT = S_NULL

FRAME S_LEGA
SPRITENUMBER = LEGA
SPRITESUBNUMBER = 32771
DURATION = 3
NEXT = S_NULL

The "thok" sprites are between S_START and S_END markers, and are called LEGAA1, LEGAA2A8, LEGAA3A7, LEGAA4A6 and LEGAA5.

Finally, the "thokitem" I entered was "thokitem = SPR_LEGA"
Doing this, spawns a fish for some reason. If you need more information about the character to make this work, I'll gladly break down the spoiler wall I'm trying to build.

This is the last step I need to accomplish for this WAD to be 100% finished. So please, I'd appreciate if someone could help me out on this one.

Also just in case it's needed, the sfx do work. I tested them all

EDIT: Thanks to Monster Ienstyn, this works now.

Last edited:
If I understood right, thokitem must be a MT_THING, not a SPR_whatever, try replacing it with MT_LEGA and see if that works.

If I understood right, thokitem must be a MT_THING, not a SPR_whatever, try replacing it with MT_LEGA and see if that works.

The fish disappeared, but the thing is, the custom thok didn't appear either.

Noticed the sprite subnumber too, it's... er... too high and can be set to a letter instead
It should be set to A, B, C [...] if you know what I mean, in that case, I'd assume setting it to A will fix it. (Also there's no need to define the frame twice)

Noticed the sprite subnumber too, it's... er... too high and can be set to a letter instead
It should be set to A, B, C [...] if you know what I mean, in that case, I'd assume setting it to A will fix it. (Also there's no need to define the frame twice)

Okay, so I changed this section:

FRAME S_LEGA
SPRITENUMBER = LEGA
SPRITESUBNUMBER = A
DURATION = 3
NEXT = S_NULL

But the thok is still invisible. Maybe I edited it incorrectly?

EDIT: I also deleted the frame duplicate you mentioned.

Last edited:
Just a quick question, do you happen to have a Lua script in your WAD as well as the OBJCTCFG lump? If so, what sort of things does it contain?

Oh okay.

Just a note, 2.1 still supports the 2.0 ways of doing object types and states, so I doubt Lat's last suggestion regarding spritesubnumber (which is also called spriteframe these days, but whatever) would have done anything. And by that I mean spritesubnumber can still be numbers if you like.

Last edited:
Oh okay.

Just a note, 2.1 still supports the 2.0 ways of doing object types and states, so I doubt Lat's last suggestion regarding spritesubnumber (which is also called spriteframe these days, but whatever) would have done anything. And by that I mean spritesubnumber can still be numbers if you like.

Awkward thing to say, but I have NO idea how to do the "2.0 way" of doing said object types and states.

...oh, sorry then. I guess I falsely assumed you'd tried SOC in 2.0 and you're now trying 2.1, since you're using things like "Thing" and "Frame" instead of "Object" and "State" as the block headers. =V

What happens if you load the wad using addfile in the console, do you get an error message of any sort?

I was using a .bat file, because my WAD kinda... sort of... Takes over some parts of the intro? I'll check what it says.

And well
It got around 26 warnings.
Here's the full list:
WARNING: Line 29: readPlayer 4: unknown word 'LEGENDARY'
WARNING: Line 30: readPlayer 4: unknown word 'THING'
WARNING: Line 31: readPlayer 4: unknown word 'MAPTHINGNUM'
WARNING: Line 32: readPlayer 4: unknown word 'SPAWNSTATE'
WARNING: Line 33: readPlayer 4: unknown word 'SPAWNHEALTH'
WARNING: Line 34: readPlayer 4: unknown word 'SEESTATE'
WARNING: Line 35: readPlayer 4: unknown word 'SEESOUND'
WARNING: Line 36: readPlayer 4: unknown word 'REACTIONTIME'
WARNING: Line 37: readPlayer 4: unknown word 'ATTACKSOUND'
WARNING: Line 38: readPlayer 4: unknown word 'PAINSTATE'
WARNING: Line 39: readPlayer 4: unknown word 'PAINCHANCE'
WARNING: Line 40: readPlayer 4: unknown word 'PAINSOUND'
WARNING: Line 41: readPlayer 4: unknown word 'MELEESTATE'
WARNING: Line 42: readPlayer 4: unknown word 'MISSILESTATE'
WARNING: Line 43: readPlayer 4: unknown word 'DEATHSTATE'
WARNING: Line 44: readPlayer 4: unknown word 'DEATHSOUND'
WARNING: Line 45: readPlayer 4: unknown word 'XDEATHSTATE'
WARNING: Line 46: readPlayer 4: unknown word 'SPEED'
WARNING: Line 47: readPlayer 4: unknown word 'RADIUS'
WARNING: Line 48: readPlayer 4: unknown word 'HEIGHT'
WARNING: Line 49: readPlayer 4: unknown word 'MASS'
WARNING: Line 50: readPlayer 4: unknown word 'DAMAGE'
WARNING: Line 51: readPlayer 4: unknown word 'ACTIVESOUND'
WARNING: Line 52: readPlayer 4: unknown word 'RAISESTATE'
WARNING: Line 53: readPlayer 4: unknown word 'DISPOFFSET'
WARNING: Line 54: readPlayer 4: unknown word 'FLAGS'
I'm PRETTY sure this is the problem I'm having.

Ah, that explains everything then. Try putting a # at the end of your character's description text, if there isn't one already there.

It worked! Thank you so much! Though, one more thing. The sprite appears and all, but it doesn't fade away like the MT_THOK does, it just disappears, and the trail is really short. Is there a way to fix this? If not, then it's fine eitherways.

The sprite appears and all, but it doesn't fade away like the MT_THOK does, it just disappears, and the trail is really short. Is there a way to fix this? If not, then it's fine eitherways.

Thok mobjs don't fade away, they disappear. The thok propels you too fast to notice most of the time. I think you could change the death state to a new set of fading sprites to replicate that effect though. For trail length, thokitems for CA_THOK only spawn once, and that's after the player thoks. You could use a state action to spawn another mobj, maybe? I dunno, whatever floats your boat.

Thok mobjs don't fade away, they disappear. The thok propels you too fast to notice most of the time. I think you could change the death state to a new set of fading sprites to replicate that effect though. For trail length, thokitems for CA_THOK only spawn once, and that's after the player thoks. You could use a state action to spawn another mobj, maybe? I dunno, whatever floats your boat.

Eh, I played around with my character for a while, and I don't think that it's very noticeable. Thanks though.

EDIT: I also posted my character in Submissions. Hope it goes well. If it does, You'll see what I was talking about. If not, I'll still upload it somewhere else :3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back