• Of course!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I hate fun.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Super mystic sonic said:
I'm not sure if this would work out well if fans of a certain wad could bring wads back from death that landed in the banana/newbie/whatever area, considering n00b wads are also praised by n00bs, and could be brought back by those guys.

Resulting in a reason to ban them, thus lowering the total 'n00b' count.

Super mystic sonic said:
I'm both for and against this idea. The good point is that you can seperate good from bad, and it could force people to realise that their work sucks. But people could also just judge from the screens and move a decent wad, or just automaticly trow a wad away judging by the previous version of that wad.

This is why the critics would be chosen very carefully, to make sure that they were firm but fair with their actions.

Super mystic sonic said:
Being friends with the mod critics could save your wad too. And then there's the problem with taste, and a mod critic constantly moving his/her own crappy wads back to where it doesn't belong.

Same as above, if they were responsible critics they would not treat people differently because of who they are.

Also, a mod critic would not make 'crappy' wads and think they were awesome, they would be chosen because they know what a bad wad is like, so they would know if theirs was terrible.
Oh, and they would probably only have moderator rights in the editing and releases forum, not the banana basket.

Super mystic sonic said:
Thrust me on that one.
Must... resist... urge... to give SMS the Pelvic Thrust... and therefore giving disturbing images to the forum population...

Fix that typo :o

And now,I have something more on topic to say.
Draykon said:
I myself would prefer a highly negative "Bananna Basket" forum, over any sort of "WAD Critic's pick" forum.

For starters, it makes things easier on the WAD Critics. It's much easier to declare something horrid than it is to declare something good.
Second off, as Spazzo said it seems like it'd be much more effective to try and shock people into thinking "zomg this didn't work i need 2 try something new"

Just my two bits there.
With your first reason. I think it would be easier to move less topics, not to mention that the good mods would get more hits. However, they might also get less hits. Alternatively, we could simply sticky the good mods.
With your second reason. You're right there.

cueball61 said:
Super mystic sonic said:
Being friends with the mod critics could save your wad too. And then there's the problem with taste, and a mod critic constantly moving his/her own crappy wads back to where it doesn't belong.

Same as above, if they were responsible critics they would not treat people differently because of who they are.

Also, a mod critic would not make 'crappy' wads and think they were awesome, they would be chosen because they know what a bad wad is like, so they would know if theirs was terrible.
Oh, and they would probably only have moderator rights in the editing and releases forum, not the banana basket.
But SMS has a point too. Whilst we would promote responsible users. There's still, well, change of heart. A good idea would be not allowwing (as in making a rule or something) Admins, Moderators or Mod Critics to move their own editing and releases topics.

Whoops, nearly double posted.

Super mystic sonic said:
I'm both for and against this idea. The good point is that you can seperate good from bad, and it could force people to realise that their work sucks. But people could also just judge from the screens and move a decent wad, or just automaticly trow a wad away judging by the previous version of that wad. Being friends with the mod critics could save your wad too. And then there's the problem with taste, and a mod critic constantly moving his/her own crappy wads back to where it doesn't belong. I just have to see what becomes of this. If things would go well and the right people were chosen, this would be a fair first step.

Ah, but the same can be said of setting moderators & administrators. That risk is always there. However, if this system was actually applied, I'm pretty sure there would be restrictions on people involved in the decision making process moving their own creations. I'm also sure that people chosen for this would be a bit more mature about being selected, and not play favorites.

Well, why not both a "Banana Basket" and "Critics' Pick"? It would seperate the good from the bad, this way, some wads get praised, some wads get trashed, and the ones that are alright (not good enough for a "Pick" but not bad enough for the "Basket") will stay in the releases.

You would probably need Moderators for the Basket/Pick forum too, but not editing, cueball, but the idea to ban the noobs for rereleasing the wads because they were moved is a very good idea.

On the topic of this, SMS, I do see favorites being picked. Such as the veterans always stick together, the noobs also do. If the critics are picked responsibly, there's no reason to worry. I suspect current Moderators will be picked for it anyway.

Okay, there is an incredibly major problem here that you all are completely forgetting:

For any system of reducing crap to work, we have to have some kind of people actually making good content. The reality is that most of the users that can make decent stages just don't make anything, either being lazy or complaining that their work "sucks" when it's clearly a lot better than a lot of the junk posted on the forums.

If you guys had me implement this "feature", all you'd end up with is an empty releases section with everything moved into a separate "This is crap" forum, with an empty section for actual good stuff, because nobody really makes anything good. That doesn't solve the problem, all it does is insult the new users even more than we already do, and while I agree that their work sucks, some of them might have enough taste to progress beyond utter crap into something moderately fun. Having the administration itself consider their work crap is not going to help the cause in any way.

If you want this issue fixed, you're going about it the wrong way. You don't want to stop the flow of crap; that's impossible, and even trying to stop it is a worthless effort. You need new content that doesn't suck. Of all the people complaining here in this topic about how awful the WADs on this forum are, I ask you:

Have you made a WAD recently? Did you release it? Did you even finish it?

If you didn't answer "yes" to all three of those questions, I'd like to say that you simply don't have the right to complain about the quality of the releases section. Instead, I suggest you fix it so that you can answer "yes" to those questions. If you do, I guarantee that the releases section will improve drastically.

Well, I guess after some more good ol' careful consideration, there might be a better solution. (aka agree with Mystic)

Education is probably the only answer to this problem. Yesterday, my little sister told me this saying:

"You can crap in the toilet, or you can crap on the floor. One is more noticeable."

No matter where the crap is, its always going to be there. Whether we keep it in a "Noob" section or not. The main problem that I had with this idea in the first place was that it had no plan on how to actually get better wads on the forum.

Solution:

1. Do what Mystic said.

Mystic said:
If you want this issue fixed, you're going about it the wrong way. You don't want to stop the flow of crap; that's impossible, and even trying to stop it is a worthless effort. You need new content that doesn't suck.

Exactly as Mystic says, those who know how to create good content need to release more of it. I'm up to five released maps, with two more in testing. If each person who knew how to make a wad decently released just one every two months, we'd outnumber the new mappers' submissions by a long shot.

2. Reference new wadders to the srb2wiki and the tutorials.

Its not perfect, but it helped me substantially. I only started making maps four or five months ago and I referenced almost all of my FOF info from it. Its a great resource, and I figure new mapmakers don't use it, because they don't know that it even exists.

Without these resources, I would never have learned how to make any kind of map, much less a good one. Lead the horses to water, they might yet drink...

3. If they refuse help, advice or the wiki... Help people who listen.

If a wadder refuses to take any of your suggestions/comments to heart and keeps making crappy wads, ignore them and focus on those who want to improve themselves. Nobody can become better at making maps if they ignore all advice and comments other than "JOOR WAD ROKS!!" Don't get worked up about them, critique people who are willing to listen. The people who will listen are the future experts and the source of new SRB2 content.

Whether you like it or not, newbies are our future... Help those who want to better themselves, ignore those who don't, its that simple.

*EDIT* Just looked at the Releases Rules/Announcements area. Its a good idea. Makes sense that the area responsible for new content has its own rules.

Love how deep in hell the forums have been lately. Guess that's why I don't come often anymore.

In any case, I fit under both categories Mystic stated, though I'm getting over the whole "it sucks" thing. At least now I realize that I can wad better than most of the n00bs.

My life has been full of busy schedules meeting up for things and visa versa and trying to work on Chaotic Darkness has been difficult to say the least. But I am trying. I should be getting more work done soon though.

But hey, at least I'm following Mystic's advice. He IS right, we've been through this before and it's why the Releases forum was created. Any more attempts to try and filter out the crap will just filter out the people who will actually LEARN how to do this, TAKE criticism, and IMPROVE. If we filter out the people who can do that along wit the crap, then we won't have ANYTHING. You just have to be patient with people and see if they'll actually do it.

I have the skills to make half-decent maps and characters. The only problem I have is motivation. I also find making character sprites kinda tedious.

Could someone tell me how to get on the srb2 chatroom because every time I trie to using mIRC a message appears during connection that says: unable to connect (connection refused). So could you guys tell me what to do?

If you can't figure it out yourself, you shouldn't likely be there in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back