Haunted Heights criticism thread

On a hard level, emblems should be hard to pick up, right?
Yes, HH has both hard and light emblems. But the knuckle emblem is really terrible.
I don't understand why there is Flame Shield at this level, if after a couple of moments you will lose it.
But overall the level is really good. A moment where exclusive character paths can be considered both a big plus and a minus. You are forced to go "there because you are this character."

̶I̶t̶ ̶c̶e̶r̶t̶a̶i̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶A̶G̶Z̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶A̶T̶Z̶.̶ ̶I̶ ̶h̶o̶p̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶s̶e̶ ̶a̶c̶t̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶e̶i̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶m̶o̶v̶e̶d̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶l̶e̶t̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶r̶e̶d̶o̶n̶e̶.̶

IMO, the monitor you're supposed to bounce on should be changed to a respawning equivalent so you can have as many attempts as you need, without resetting. I like that that one makes use of the weird gliding physics, where hitting glide just before hitting a monitor or enemy makes you bounce super high. I'd have never figured it out without watching a video of someone else doing it, though.
I think the real problem with the monitor bounce emblem is SRB2's INCREDIBLY wonky and difficult to control air physics, which dev members have said are undergoing a massive rework in recent threads. It's the same reason Arid Canyon's rope pulleys are so difficult to control, and possibly also why goop can slow gameplay down so much.

Well my main critiscm on climable walls is that they look no different than regular walls in most acts, like if you manage to get to a place exclusivley with knuckles you suddenly can't climb on most things.

I know this is more or less something to do with all of srb2's levels, but it's just a bit awkward

I̶t̶ ̶c̶e̶r̶t̶a̶i̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶A̶G̶Z̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶A̶T̶Z̶.̶ ̶I̶ ̶h̶o̶p̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶s̶e̶ ̶a̶c̶t̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶e̶i̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶m̶o̶v̶e̶d̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶l̶e̶t̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶r̶e̶d̶o̶n̶e̶.̶

Ohoho, don't tell me. If anything Haunted Heights is the only redeemable challenge level out of the current lineup.

̶I̶t̶ ̶c̶e̶r̶t̶a̶i̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶A̶G̶Z̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶A̶T̶Z̶.̶ ̶I̶ ̶h̶o̶p̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶s̶e̶ ̶a̶c̶t̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶e̶i̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶m̶o̶v̶e̶d̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶l̶e̶t̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶r̶e̶d̶o̶n̶e̶.̶

100%. I was so excited to unlock those levels my first playthrough as I thought the content would be comparable to the rest of the game, and then... they're just bad.

honestly i love haunted heights, but i can only play it with tails and im a fang player lol
probably just my love for the halloween aesthetic though. unsurprisingly, halloween and christmas are my favorite times of the year, not because i celebrate them but i just think their aesthetic is cute..... so the halloween and christmas (well, snow i guess) themed levels are my favorite
GO FIGURE.

as a criticism, i do wish it wasnt so laggy, but then again i have a TERRIBLE computer thats past the point of redemption (whenwillmyparentsgivemeanewcomputerrrrrrrrr) so maybe its just my pc being shitty. i also think its open world-ness can be a bit disorienting as i find it a bit hard to get through the stage when theres too much ground to land on and too little indication of WHICH ground to land on.
but also im just a dumb little gamer who has no idea how to game so take my criticism with a grain of salt

honestly i love haunted heights, but i can only play it with tails and im a fang player lol
probably just my love for the halloween aesthetic though. unsurprisingly, halloween and christmas are my favorite times of the year, not because i celebrate them but i just think their aesthetic is cute..... so the halloween and christmas (well, snow i guess) themed levels are my favorite
GO FIGURE.
Aesthetics are most certainly important to making a good level, and I agree, Haunted Heights absolutely excels in that regard. It's the same reason I can't dislike Frozen Hillside despite its age and somewhat samey design.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back