• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SRB2 to ZDOOM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since we can't put the Zdoom slope code in SRB2, would it be possible to "port" SRB2 to Zdoom? Also, how would one open custom wads in-game with ZDoom? (using doom 2)

Would probably take too much work. SRB2 isn't just a simple Doom mod, it actually changes the source code quite deeply, from what I understand, which might make it difficult.

Certainly, you can try. ZDoom has some impressive mod capabilities, what with scripting languages and the like that SRB2 doesn't support.

The main reason taking SRB2 to ZDoom is because ZDoom's floor over floor code is crappy. Since we use FOFs intensively, it is just totally impractical to move it to ZDoom. Sure, slopes would be nice, but being able to make stages go above itself without complexity is better.

Shuffle said:
Define "crappy", please.
Crappy as in "unusable for our purposes". If I recall correctly, it requires an object to make it possible to walk on properly, and a bunch of other restrictions.

I see..
Myeh, I wouldn't want to have to re-learn everything about wadding again, even if it meant getting slopes.

Code between SRB2 and ZDoom is entirely different. ZDoom was rewritten by the author to be a complete Object-Oriented implementation.

Mystic's right, it requires a specific Thing to work. And for that matter, it's just ugly; there's no floor textures. You can see right through it! It's ugly. Hopefully 2.0.64 will have REAL FOFs, but my hopes aren't that high.

Of course, I can live without slopes, but I really would like ACS...

Some things. Can't determine if a specific Thing has "died" before you trigger an event, irritatingly. Like, say, having you face Eggman twice in a level; you can't run off to the other area until his first form is teh dead, meaning a door has to open. You MIGHT be able to trick the game into thinking the door is the Egg Capsule, but that could also be more work than it's worth...

Shadow Hog said:
Some things. Can't determine if a specific Thing has "died" before you trigger an event, irritatingly. Like, say, having you face Eggman twice in a level; you can't run off to the other area until his first form is teh dead, meaning a door has to open. You MIGHT be able to trick the game into thinking the door is the Egg Capsule, but that could also be more work than it's worth...

Ooh! Hey! Put that in the 1.1 thread! Adding stuff like that seems pretty plausible, something that could even make it into 1.09.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back