Suggestions

While doing some testing around, I thought of combining the air strafe mod with the Jump Thrust that Cobalt put out in one of the Sonic Ability threads a while back, and found it to be an incredibly enjoyable combination. It got me thinking about how it could potentially be the best thok replacement concept yet, if given a little bit of refinement. My thoughts are as follows:

-Enable Air Strafing specifically as a Sonic only ability. It can be used regardless of if Sonic is Jump Thrusting or not, and can be combined with it to give Sonic an overall significant boost to control in the air. This should result in Sonic being much more easily capable of performing a U turn in the air, reversing his horizontal momentum in the process. This could act as a satisfying (Though very limited) recovery tool and platforming assist.

-Give the Jump Thrust state the property of allowing Sonic to break in midair, canceling his forward momentum the same way as he would if he were on the ground. If Sonic performs a midair break, he remains in his spin state and as such can still damage enemies/monitors if he lands on or collides with them. After performing a midair break, Sonic can still gain horizontal momentum and isn't locked into a straight down fall. This combined with Air Strafing should give Sonic a powerful sense of control in the air, allowing him to more easily maintain a flow state which hopefully would make him easier for new players while at the same time still feeling very satisfying for veterans.

-Increase the height Sonic gets from performing a Jump Thrust slightly so that it feels a little bit more like a proper double jump (but still not a full double jump) that can also be used to increase his speed. The added height would serve the purpose of not only allowing Sonic to reach slightly higher/further platforms, but could also be used to give Sonic more time to aim his jumps when the player is intending on jumping down onto something below such as an enemy or platform. This combined with the above two points (Air Strafing and Air Breaking) should hopefully make Sonic much more beginner friendly.

You might ask "Why make it so that air strafing is a Sonic only ability?", my reasoning is as follows: All of the other characters have a powerful air mobility option already. Tails can fly, Knuckles can glide and climb, Amy can hammer springs to gain additional height, etc. The Jump Thrust on it's own however wouldn't really be on par with these other abilities, especially if they were also capability boosted by air strafing. As such, Sonic being the only one that can air strafe gives him more of a horizontal advantage to make up for his vertical shortcomings. Essentially, Sonic players would be trading verticality for air control. The one exception to this I would make would be the Tails bot that can follow Sonic, so that he can more easily follow him.

While doing some testing around, I thought of combining the air strafe mod with the Jump Thrust that Cobalt put out in one of the Sonic Ability threads a while back, and found it to be an incredibly enjoyable combination. It got me thinking about how it could potentially be the best thok replacement concept yet, if given a little bit of refinement. My thoughts are as follows:

-Enable Air Strafing specifically as a Sonic only ability. It can be used regardless of if Sonic is Jump Thrusting or not, and can be combined with it to give Sonic an overall significant boost to control in the air. This should result in Sonic being much more easily capable of performing a U turn in the air, reversing his horizontal momentum in the process. This could act as a satisfying (Though very limited) recovery tool and platforming assist.

-Give the Jump Thrust state the property of allowing Sonic to break in midair, canceling his forward momentum the same way as he would if he were on the ground. If Sonic performs a midair break, he remains in his spin state and as such can still damage enemies/monitors if he lands on or collides with them. After performing a midair break, Sonic can still gain horizontal momentum and isn't locked into a straight down fall. This combined with Air Strafing should give Sonic a powerful sense of control in the air, allowing him to more easily maintain a flow state which hopefully would make him easier for new players while at the same time still feeling very satisfying for veterans.

-Increase the height Sonic gets from performing a Jump Thrust slightly so that it feels a little bit more like a proper double jump (but still not a full double jump) that can also be used to increase his speed. The added height would serve the purpose of not only allowing Sonic to reach slightly higher/further platforms, but could also be used to give Sonic more time to aim his jumps when the player is intending on jumping down onto something below such as an enemy or platform. This combined with the above two points (Air Strafing and Air Breaking) should hopefully make Sonic much more beginner friendly.

You might ask "Why make it so that air strafing is a Sonic only ability?", my reasoning is as follows: All of the other characters have a powerful air mobility option already. Tails can fly, Knuckles can glide and climb, Amy can hammer springs to gain additional height, etc. The Jump Thrust on it's own however wouldn't really be on par with these other abilities, especially if they were also capability boosted by air strafing. As such, Sonic being the only one that can air strafe gives him more of a horizontal advantage to make up for his vertical shortcomings. Essentially, Sonic players would be trading verticality for air control. The one exception to this I would make would be the Tails bot that can follow Sonic, so that he can more easily follow him.

Amy's basically hard mode Sonic, so if Sonic's getting air strafing, I think she should too. Her ability to use her hammer on a spring to get extra height is very situational. She doesn't need to become more underpowered than she already is.

I don't exactly understand how air strafing works yet, may need to play with and without the mod more.

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

Also, I agree with bubbles being easier to find and access, all the points made about slowing down or places without visible bubbles make sense.

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

Suggestion:

Let us use more colors for team modes. Just Blue and Red are boring, let us use slightly different hues of those colors.

Possible Blue Team Colors
Blue, Azure, Bluebell, Slate, Cobalt, Cyan, Wave, Teal, Cerulean, Icy, Sapphire, Dusk.

Possible Red Team Colors
Red, Rosy, Salmon, Crimson, Flame, Ketchup,

you can decide more or less colors than i chose if u plan on adding more colors to the team color thing.
Colors that look too much not like blue (like Cyan) may be a good decision to cut. But it is a blue so I included it anyway. (yes, i know cyan is greenish blue)

I just have something to say about OpenGL.
In srb2kart, you have the openGL version and you just have to go in it and flip it on.
This is my point.
Why cant It be this simple in vanilla srb2? I find the steps really troubling and I give up all the time. I know the new .exe might function different, but if it's possible, please make the full install/patcher give you this.

I know that Tails torture is a time honored tradition, but there's something I want to just put out there. Maybe it's time to give the poor fox a break, you know? If Sonic has a elemental shield or a bubble shield, maybe let the passive ability to breathe under water extend to him also so he isn't constantly drowning to death while Sonic just stands there completely apathetic to his need for air.

I know that Tails torture is a time honored tradition, but there's something I want to just put out there. Maybe it's time to give the poor fox a break, you know? If Sonic has a elemental shield or a bubble shield, maybe let the passive ability to breathe under water extend to him also so he isn't constantly drowning to death while Sonic just stands there completely apathetic to his need for air.
On the flipside, make objectplace an option in Pandora's Box for all those Tails Abuse fans!

a way to use animated textures as part of a compound texture where they can stay animated. Possibly a modified animation lump where we give the animated texture a new name?

Last edited:
In my opinion, you know what could be possibly great?

Mission mode. Why?

Extra emblems, train your skills, etc...

(Or achievements, but they may be hard to code, and i think the emblems are already achievements.)

I mean, if we got Marathon Mode, why not Misson mode? It could probably be an great addition. Or maybe an Match update?

I'd like to see rolling on the ground disconnected from having spindash as an ability. Make rolling a skin flag that having spindash as your ability2 overrides.

Possible applications of this include:
- Gunslinger characters whose rolling is flavoured as a sliding kick
- Sonic 1 Sonic
- I dunno, could be loads of things

I'd like to see rolling on the ground disconnected from having spindash as an ability. Make rolling a skin flag that having spindash as your ability2 overrides.

Possible applications of this include:
- Gunslinger characters whose rolling is flavoured as a sliding kick
- Sonic 1 Sonic
- I dunno, could be loads of things

You mean like in Sonic Adventure, where Tails and Knuckles could roll if you pressed the action button while in motion?

literally coming out of Nowhere, i'd like to suggest to implement an option which disallows some specific music to play... at least for Super Sneakers and Invincibility, because for some people sometimes it's cooler to hear the level's soundtrack instead of these ones

(i hope i wrote this clear and correctly)

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Back