The Pandora topic, and porting SRB2 to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarbo the Black Sheep

Furry Composer
Well, I think we should probably have a topic about this upcoming handheld system, especially because it sounds like an SRB2 port is feasible. I think the idea of an open-source console is kinda neat.

Sony's gonna crap in their pants now, the PSP's homebrew capabilities are nothing compared to the Pandora, I don't even want a PSP anymore. :P
With a 600mhz processor and 128mbs of RAM, I should say a Pandora port is possible. :D If it has a Linux based OS like they say,(and maybe some swap space too)it should be as easy as compiling SRB2's source code for it's architecture, using the appropriate libraries, putting the binary and data in a standard package, then installing and playing. Meh, I'm just jabbering though, it's probably not that easy, but certainly not impossible, it has the power to play SRB2 without watering down any code. All I'm worried about is whether or not it can fit in my pocket? *shot*
EDIT: I checked wikipedia, it has a ARM Processor.

SSNTails said:
What kind of processor is inside it? ARM? MIPS? x86?

* ARM® Cortex™-A8 600Mhz+ CPU running Linux
* 430-MHz TMS320C64x+™ DSP Core
* PowerVR SGX OpenGL 2.0 ES compliant 3D hardware
* 800x480 4.3" 16.7 million colours touchscreen LCD
* Wifi 802.11b/g, Bluetooth & High Speed USB 2.0 Host
* Dual SDHC card slots & SVideo TV output
* Dual Analogue and Digital gaming controls
* 43 button QWERTY and numeric keypad
* Around 10+ Hours battery life

ARM. I just pre-ordered it earlier today. I hope I am one of the first 3000 Pandora's. I don't want to wait until 2009 for the second batch.

fawfulfan said:
What about WADs?
I sure hope so. But then again...if I opened up the console on a PSP, how exactly would I type the wad names in? Would I use a USB keyboard or what?

Offtopic: Waiting to get another battery so I can turn my old one into a pandora's battery :P

Pandora has a QWERTY keyboard below the D-Pad and buttons; it has flash drive support; and it has Internet support.

I REALLY hope the Pandora can connect to the Master Server without failing consistency.

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
Pandora has a QWERTY keyboard below the D-Pad and buttons; it has flash drive support; and it has Internet support.

I REALLY hope the Pandora can connect to the Master Server without failing consistency.
Same...I guess I'll put this new system on my christmas list *sued* Compared to this system, all other game systems suck. PSPs are terrible when getting on the internet...Homebrew may allow you to emulate games...but then again why get homebrew when it can crash your PSP? Wii's? You have to buy the friggen internet channel...nough said. As for Xbox360's, I dunno. Never had one. PS3's, I think can go on the internet, but if they can it's probably exactly like the PSP's system, which is terrible.

I am really going to enjoy using my Pandora. Since I assume unlike other systems where you need to convert videos and such in order to play them, I can just drop and load it on the Pandora and since I will be getting the TV cable with it, I can watch stuff anywhere :D Also, Since it supports bluetooth, I bet if I really wanted to, I could use the Wii remote with it too. For portable movies, it will still be a blast other than the simple fact that the screen size is still too small. (Not pixels btw) Unlike my GP2X which I only used for about a month before getting bored with it plus the fact that battery life is shit, joystick is shit, firmware is ok, etc... This thing I know I will be using it a lot more which is great for me.

Dr.Pepper said:
Sony's gonna crap in their pants now, the PSP's homebrew capabilities are nothing compared to the Pandora...
As far as I know, Sony doesn't want hombrew on the PSP, they get less money that way. =P

It has OpenGL too? Goodbye crappy PSP, hello Pretty SRB2 and Mupen64! :D
Billy said:
As far as I know, Sony doesn't want hombrew on the PSP, they get less money that way. =P
The only reason why the PSP is getting any sells at all is because of the homebrew. :P There just aren't enough good commercial games for it to outsell the DS.

It has OpenGL ES which is very similar to OpenGL. The Pandora fully supports OpenGL ES 1.1 and OpenGL ES 2.0. The screen on the Pandora is a very good quality one and there are videos of it in action. No blurry and ghosting screen of death like the piss poor PSP screen.

I've also heard that the PSP starts getting glitchy pixels if it's paused too long. It shouldn't be hard to port PrettySRB2 and v1.09.4's OpenGL, right?

Sonict said:
I just pre-ordered it earlier today. I hope I am one of the first 3000 Pandora's. I don't want to wait until 2009 for the second batch.
Heh, pre-ordered mine too. I'm pretty sure that once it gets to the 'Your order is safe' screen, that you aren't waiting till 2009, just November.

As far as specs go, it seems feasable to believe that SRB2 could be ran on it, but is there anyone here with the time and knowledge to pull it off?

And people who are vaguely interested, read the current newspost:
http://openpandora.org/. There are still some left at the time of the post, and they may increase the order cap, so there's still a chance.

For those who are interested, preorders have been extended to Sunday, so if you're quick you can still get in on the first batch set to release on November.

It should no doubt be able to run SRB2. Porting from lsdlsrb2 shouldn't be too hard, and it could be optimized if the OpenGL renderer were included with it (of course, it'd need a bit of changing to match the specifics of the device).

Well, I preordered a Pandora, via paypal, but now, they had to refund all the order that were done via paypal, damn!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back