ST's Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashovare

Hello again,

So I'm finally finishing the ST tutorial, but I am not clear on step 5. First of all, I'm not exactly sure what he is asking me to do, and second, I am having trouble creating a sector inside the sector.

http://ssntails.sepwich.com/srb2/dbtutorial/tutorial6.html

I know the idea is to have me fall down, and use a red spring to catapult myself over the wall. However, in his diagram, I see that he seems to create the sector with only one line. I tried making the ector inside of the sector encompass everything behind that line, but that raises the whole floor, which means instead of a wall, I just have a raised platform.

This is the paragraph that I find somewhat confusing:

[spoiler:604bbd952c]Now, right click to place more rings. These rings will be duplicates of the one you just edited. Now, go back to Linedefs mode, and click on the two linedefs on the left, the one sided and the two sided one. Drag them both to the lower left, stretching out this sector. Now, create a new sector inside here. Wait a minute. You'll notice that you might not be able to create a straight diagonal line between the two linedefs on the side of Sector 0. To fix this, just reduce the grid by pressing ] (Remember that?). Create the sector almost entire inside Sector 0, by putting the new sector's vertexes over Sector 0's vertexes. However, leave part of Sector 0 intact, the part with the rings in it. In the Sector box, put the floor at 1000, and leave the ceiling intact. Also, set up the sidedefs to fix any missing textures. Now, create a new thing, a Red Spring. Make sure Easy, Medium, and Hard are checked, and put the thing in Sector 0, near our new sector, Sector 5. Let's test this. [/spoiler:604bbd952c]

What am I doing incorrectly? If you want to take a look, this is the file:

http://files.filefront.com/My+Training+Level+Wadwad/;13159157;/fileinfo.html

Since I am using the SRB2 Doom Builder, things may be a little different.

SRB2 DB has a few quirks that separate it from normal DB. Firstly, linedef/sector actions are catagorized differently. The sector info box also looks ridiculously different on SRB2. And I suppose there's a few cosmetic things such as linedef colors, but that's not one of the more noticeable things.

One of the qualities that I dislike about ST's tutorial is that he's shooting for a specific end product. As long as you understand the concepts behind what he's asking you to do, you'll do fine when you're actually making your own map. Does that help?

(Oh, and not that this will make you feel any better, but I butchered the tutorial map as well. I still turned out well, though!)

BlueZero4 said:
SRB2 DB has a few quirks that separate it from normal DB. Firstly, linedef/sector actions are catagorized differently.

I am beginning to think that may be the problem. Is there anything I should know about the differences to adjust for the SRB2 Builder? As you can see, I managed to make my sector look like his, but completely screwed up the sectors.

http://files.filefront.com/Practice+Level+Attemptdbs/;13166796;/fileinfo.html

BlueZero4 said:
One of the qualities that I dislike about ST's tutorial is that he's shooting for a specific end product. As long as you understand the concepts behind what he's asking you to do, you'll do fine when you're actually making your own map. Does that help?

The other thing is that I am not clear on what he asking me. It appears that I am supposed to create a sector inside a sector, but I apparently do not know how to do this. I did manage to create something like he's asking for, but I'm not sure if I actually did or learned what I needed to.

http://hosted.filefront.com/Yallo247/

In addition, I think I must have messed up the border (climbing it with knuckles is odd), and somehow I made the rings float too high.

Creating a sector inside another sector can only be done in linedefs mode. Trying to right-click inside a sector in sectors mode simply brings up the box where you can edit your sector values. (Gosh, that was a mouthful.)

To reiterate, you may want to trash the map you're working on now. It's entirely possible to screw your map so badly that it's easier to start a new one than to fix an old one. Heck, you don't even have to make your map look like the one in the tutorial; you only need to understand the concepts behind it. Although, I said that before, so I'm being redundant again.

BlueZero4 said:
Creating a sector inside another sector can only be done in linedefs mode. Trying to right-click inside a sector in sectors mode simply brings up the box where you can edit your sector values.

Use the Insert key (by default) in Lines or Sectors Mode, and you can start a sector anywhere.

BlueZero4 said:
Creating a sector inside another sector can only be done in linedefs mode. Trying to right-click inside a sector in sectors mode simply brings up the box where you can edit your sector values. (Gosh, that was a mouthful.)

I know that part about the sectors, that's how I created the box (or sector) inside the sector. I just wasn't sure if I did it correctly. I was trying to create that part like him, thinking that I might miss an important concept if I didn't. (Although, I could be wrong...)

BlueZero4 said:
To reiterate, you may want to trash the map you're working on now. It's entirely possible to screw your map so badly that it's easier to start a new one than to fix an old one. Heck, you don't even have to make your map look like the one in the tutorial; you only need to understand the concepts behind it. Although, I said that before, so I'm being redundant again.

Ha, consider it trashed. I'll make it better the next time. Was it the thock barrier that was wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back