LauncherBlast2 (Cross-platform SRB2 launcher!)

HitCoder

Launcher Blaster
So after a friend had long ago suggested making a launcher for Linux to me, I decided to take it a step further and- make it work on Windows and Linux.

I still have lack of information on Mac, so if you use Mac PLEASE let me know how this works for you, and if possible i'd like to interact with you to ensure we have this working on every platform!

(I'll need to know how you would run it from a script or from command line and not really much more.)

so yeah... It's supposed to provide most features any other launcher would provide. I've not included anything that's deprecated (so if any features are missing that were in older launchers you used, that's because SRB2 doesn't actually support them any more!)

Also, it has a few of it's own kind-of unique features:
  • Change the theme based on built-in java themes
  • Create batch or shell scripts
  • Save launcher configurations
  • Set the default start-up configuration (as well as launching with last used configuration)
  • Save and load lists of wads

Requirements:
  • Java 1.8 or above (this is made in Java 1.8)
  • Around 100MB of ram
  • A working copy of SRB2

Here, have some screenshots which mainly show different themes but also show launcher options:

96f545588d.png

q7CQdCF.png

290a99c4a1.png

Credits:

Menu icons are Calico-icon by Joshua Ventura (JoshDreamland) and Robert Colton (Goombert) from Enigma-dev. https://github.com/enigma-dev/Calico-Icon

Huge thanks to the following people for testing:
  • Wolfy
  • Steel Titanium
  • Timothy Cyan-Tail'sFan
  • Speedwagon
  • Gemini

27th August 2019:
  • Fixed a very dangerous bug I created 4 days ago with the server password always resetting to the same thing
  • Removed team selection from host tab because it's easier for everyone just to do it when you get into the game
  • Fixed setting the server name
These were LONG overdue, I'm very sorry it's so late

23rd August 2019:
  • Added support for PK3s
  • Made the server admin password field mask text and added a "show password" checkbox.
  • Moved some UI stuff around to make it look nicer (IMHO)
  • Released source code (https://github.com/HitCoder9768/LauncherBlast2)

10th November 2017:
  • Fixed a bug where the server name would not be applied when hosting with the launcher.

23rd October 2017:
  • Fixed a bug where the files list would have files go out of view due to not being contained in a scroll pane container.

10th October 2017:
  • Fixed a bug on windows where the process hangs upon starting
  • Made the OS label dynamically move so it is visible regardless of theme and platform (I'm leaving it there for now for diagnosis reasons)
  • Made the delete button in the files list delete multiple files if more than one were selected (ctrl+click or shift+click)
  • Made the move up and move down buttons shift multiple files if multiple files had been selected
  • Fixed the "Join my own dedicated server" option (java gets your localhost IP instead of srb2 not understanding "localhost" or "127.0.0.1")

9th October 2017:
  • Added player icon that changes colour to the player tab
  • Added a few methods to ensure that a terminal window opens on Linux when necessary (eg; dedicated server or launching with a separated console)

Initial release: Checked to ensure launcher was fully functional

Also, as of current there is a bug where some elements refuse to load and you're missing random parts of the UI, not sure why this happens and it doesn't seem to be specifically replicatable, but the solution is to either restart the program or to click File->New
Regardless, I'll try to fix this as soon as a cause for this is determined.

The bug previously mentioned is caused when running the launcher in JDK (?) so make sure your registry isn't messed up and pointing to JDK instead of JRE

Attachments

• LauncherBlast2.zip
    84.1 KB · Views: 2,955
Last edited:
Thanks Boinciel!

If anyone finds any bugs, or the launcher outright doesn't work on your OS, let me know what OS you're using (and tell me what the launcher says on the OS label) and I'll try to fix it right away.

Making the sever name textbox work is simple as passing +servername "string" to the game, just so you know. Anyways, glad to see this be released!

Making the sever name textbox work is simple as passing +servername "string" to the game, just so you know. Anyways, glad to see this be released!

Thanks for pointing this out, must have forgotten to pass that as a parameter or something. Nobody prior had actually told me of this and I didn't notice it myself. I'll push a fix asap.

EDIT: Fixed.

Last edited:
Noticed some more bugs, if the server name field isn't blank or isn't enclosed in quotes, the game never starts, and the launcher tries send changeteam to gametypes that don't support it, Co-op, Race, etc.

Last edited:
I'm not exactly sure since I'm not the creator, but considering SRB2 doesn't even run on the Chrome OS, I doubt this launcher will either.

I like it! Reminds me of the old NET launcher, which I've been using an updated version of for awhile now, this one might just replace it. I like the ability to immediately set a username and color before launching the game.

Launcher has now been updated, source code is now available on GitHub: https://github.com/HitCoder9768/LauncherBlast2

NOTE: The source code is an absolute abomination. This does not reflect my current work.

Sorry this is two years later than requested, I lost the source in backup hell and dug through to find it today because some small things irked me :D

EDIT:
New update as of 27th August 2019
It fixes things check the changelog for more info.

Last edited:
Issue on linux ojdk 11.0.4

For Debian/ubuntu users
This java software isn't compatible with OpenJDK, you 'll need to install oracle's java version on your session.
https://github.com/B4rabbas/LauncherBlast2/releases/download/2.0.3/oracle-java8-jre_8u231_amd64.deb

change your java version with oracle's one with the following command in terminall :

Code:
sudo update-alternatives --config java

Original post
Code:
java -version
openjdk version "11.0.4" 2019-07-16
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 11.0.4+11-post-Ubuntu-1ubuntu218.04.3)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0.4+11-post-Ubuntu-1ubuntu218.04.3, mixed mode, sharing)

As you see, there is missing menu entries.

EDIT : try on oracle java version
At least it work on oracle version (who say there is no more difference on openjdk ans oracle ? :°p)
ddI4bkzl.png
j

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back