Mr. Encyclopedia

Status
Not open for further replies.
To answer your questions, I most assuredly am not dead, although sometimes I wake up and can sure as heck feel that way! ;)

The main reason I don't come around here, which is kind of a majorly important one, is that I left the project several years ago; mostly because I stopped enjoying the game series, particularly after Sonic Team went on to produce re-releases, further re-releases and further additional re-releases. I don't remember being a coder for the game, as I was by and large the lead designer. Perhaps that should read 'the guy who screamed lots when demos came out and there was something I wanted that was missing/didn't work/got DELORTED'. Since leaving STJr, I stopped using the name 'Sonikku'.

As for retiring in Jamaica, I don't recall doing that, although sometimes university can lead me to think otherwise! These days I'm actually at the University of Essex, trying to get a degree in Linguistics. It was a choice between that and Computer Science, but I fear that my lack of advanced maths tuition would have let me down there somewhat. Yes, AJ and I are still good friends, although our busy lifestyles mean that rarely get the chance to converse these days, disappointingly. He keeps me posted on his projects, and I keep playtesting them and making the same doubtless irritating comments I did back in the days of developing SRB2. ;D

For the bored and/or curious: I still maintain a healthy passion for games and have taken the role of being next year's secretary in the Multiplayer Gaming Society we have here. Recent favourites have included playing through Ikaruga and Gradius V, offset by a lively villain busting session in City of Heroes. Somewhere down the line I get roped into occasionally playing CS:Source.

And finally, yes, pigeons are highly suspectible to baking soda and painkillers. Don't let the PETA catch you, though!

Good to see people still remember me in a sense. ;D

--
Johnny

Hi, Johnny! Nice to know you're still around! ^_^

[BTW, it says you've posted 2 times. What was your other post, and for that matter, although you don't work on SRB2 anymore, why don't you post on these boards anyway? It wouldn't hurt to let people know that you're still alive. :wink:]

Its great to finally meet you!! It is very sad though to see what Sonic has become. At least we have the classics and Srb2. Maybe I should release my real name...maybe...

Yes, it's a pleasure to meet you as well! For the record, I actually enjoy SRB2 more than the official 3D games.

Is Johnny's vision for SRB2 still realized by Stjr?

Could I shake your hand?
Could I have your autograph?

You *WILL* play an occasional netgame on SRB2, right? When you have the time? Pleeeeaasseee?
10123744.jpg

Could... *rambles on*

I'd like an autograph as well. Just type your full name into a txt file and email it to me.

I'm serious, hop to it.

Ritz said:
I'd like an autograph as well. just type your full name into a txt file and email it to me.

I can get you one. In fact, anyone can get you one. [napoleon] FRICKIN IDIOT! [/napoleon]

Good lord, this is a blast from the past -

The game gives two 'fond memory' credits, one being Naoto Oshima (the original designer of Sonic the hedeghog) and the other being Howard Drossin (the music composer for Sonic 3K), and they're given credit to as they reminded us of our fondest classic Sonic game moments (hence 'in fond memory of...'). Naoto Oshima has since founded his own game studio, Artoon and Howard Drossin is working on a selection of videogame and music soundtracks, so unless something drastically changed quite recently, they're still alive and well. ;)

--
Johnny

This is an extremely common misconception. From Wikipedia's Naoto Oshima entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naoto_Oshima):

Naoto Ohshima... is a Japanese national and former Sega employee who designed the characters of Sonic the Hedgehog and Doctor Eggman. However, Yuji Naka often gets the credit for his work on the Sonic series, because of his close association with the Sonic name.

Although Yuji Naka has contributed a great deal to the Sonic series, it is Naoto Oshima who designed the game concept from which SRB2 is based, and as such, he is given due credit.

--
Johnny

I know somebody else who contributed to the Sonic series but left after he got overwhelmed, and is still listed in the credits of one game for his old graphics work on it...

HINT: The Artist Formerly Known as (and still known as to me) Sonikku...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back