Is anybody getting a swine flu vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just did some research and discovered that the H1N1 subtype was responsible for the 1918 "Spanish Flu" that killed 50 to 100 million people. Very interesting and I'm guessing not many people even know this.
Your point? The main reason why the Spanish Flu was so devastating was because of the weakened state of everyone in the world, and a general lack of communication. Besides, this H1N1 is a lot milder than the 1918 one was.

We're safe, really. If you have a healthy life, you shouldn't need the vaccine.

The conditions of living are also far better now than in 1918, not to mention the superior medicine. Please, please get your facts straight...

No way on the vaccine. I had a standard flu shot a few years ago and was bedridden the next day! PDF WAS NOT PLEASED
Flu vaccines are supposed to do that. The point of them is to give you a weaker strain of the virus so your body learns to fight it off.

On that note, I don't plan on getting it because I've never really had a problem with the regular flu, so this one shouldn't be a huge problem for me.

All strains of the flu can kill people, especially the elderly, the very young, and those with crapped-out immune systems. I think I heard on the news that swine flu might infect a greater portion of healthy kids and adults, but quite frankly, I think the media is blowing the danger of H1N1 out of proportion.

How else will they convince us to let them pass health care reform?

I will not be getting this vaccine as I feel that this thing is overblown.

I thought it went without saying, but I supposed I should mention that the vast majority of people are more than strong enough to render the flu an inconveinent annoyance, especially considering the medical advances and largely non-virulent strains we have today. Basically what SSNTails said.

Your point? The main reason why the Spanish Flu was so devastating was because of the weakened state of everyone in the world, and a general lack of communication. Besides, this H1N1 is a lot milder than the 1918 one was.

We're safe, really. If you have a healthy life, you shouldn't need the vaccine.

Do you really have nothing better to do then criticize my posts? My point is that it's interesting that many people don't seem to know that. It's stated in my post. I never said that H1N1 would be nearly as devastating as as the 1918 epidemic.

The "danger" with Swine Flu is less so that it could kill you - rather moreso that you'd pass it on to someone who it WOULD kill. As thus, you still should be wary of it, since the less it's spread around, the better.

I'm not getting the vaccine because my family is paranoid and thinks that the chip is in it or I'll get terrible side effects or the swine flu is a fake sham from the government/media or etc etc

I just did some research and discovered that the H1N1 subtype was responsible for the 1918 "Spanish Flu" that killed 50 to 100 million people. Very interesting and I'm guessing not many people even know this.

You didn´t know? XD

Ok the reason I´m not getting the swine flu vaccine is because:

gripe_porcina.jpg

1) A normal sickness kills 36.000 people by year and noone pays attention.
2) In Venezuela around 30 people are killed by week, 1000 people have died of swine flu, there is around 6 billion people in the world, there are more probabilities of me dying at hands of a murder than dying of the H1N1.
3) The flu ¨Pandemy¨ was over 2 months ago so there´s no thing to worry about.
4) I went to Mexico some weeks ago, and I didn´t even heard about the swine flu as an advertence of getting sick from it, but instead they told us to tell people to come because nothing is happening there.

DATZ WAI.

I had Swine Flu already but not as bad as you think it is as long as it's Flu A.You just get terrible coughing a bit of vomiting Excessive tiredness and of course stomach ache...It's not as bad as you think when it's Flu A.Anyway I most likely will be getting some shots for it.I've heard rumors that they will start working on a Vaccine since it's back and stronger than ever.

H1N1 is just the regular flu with an extra symptom or two (Vomiting and, of course, diarrhea) (And in rare cases, neurological symptoms such as confusion), we just don't have as good a treatment for it. The media has blown this extremely out of proportion for some strange reason. The main reason people have died is from dehydration from said vomiting and, my favorite, diarrhea, and if I can remember correctly, the second highest cause of death is asphyxiation, or lack of oxygen, for our younger readers. I will try not to get the shot, seeing as I have been around people that have been infected with Swine Flu (The guy sitting next to me and the guy sitting in front of me in class), and nothing has happened, so I'm somewhat convinced that I may be immune.

Don't forget that a good portion of infections are also so mild, you can't even tell you have it.

Last edited:
The 1918 swine flu was far, far worse. Victims would experience all the symptoms of normal flu...then their skin would turn blue, they'd start coughing up blood, their lungs would start filling with fluid, and they'd (usually) die. It spread around the world (even without the assistance of widespread transcontinental air travel) and killed somewhere between 20 and 100 million people.

Basically, the only reason we're so afraid of this virus is because it's a related strain genetically. Fact is, this kind of swine flu is nothing special; just as many people are dying of seasonal flu (possibly more).

Some people believe the virus will mutate into a more deadly form. Indeed, the strain of H1N1 responsible for killing millions of people started out no more harmful than this one, and mutated a few months later. The difference this time? We know the cause of the disease, and we know how to prevent it. As long as we all get the vaccine, there's little to fear.

Basically, the only reason we're so afraid of this virus is because it's a related strain genetically. Fact is, this kind of swine flu is nothing special; just as many people are dying of seasonal flu (possibly more).

We´re?... I woudn´t say we.

Even though I went to Mexico this year, not a single sick person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back