Let's debate GFZ! (Split from "Yet Another 2.1 Update")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly speaking, I'm with the others that the current GFZ2 probably needs to be scrapped. Lots of tall, blank walls, and big, unused (or barely used) areas. I even remember getting lost in some places as tails/knuckles when I first started playing SRB2, because they were so hard to get out of due to the bad design. I wouldn't say that details alone would make that better or worse, but I would definitely recommend a redesign. A major redesign.

Definitely not. GFZ2 honestly has some of my favourite design in how the level is laid out and the amount of secrets. The level could certainly use some sprucing up, and perhaps a light redesign (SpiritCrusher fixed some of its problems a while back) but remaking GFZ2 from scratch is something I really do not want to see.

Regardless if it looks dull or not, Those images perfectly show that only with some minor changes on the textures, specially on caves, that it's defintely an improvement and in my opinnion it should be applied officially.

Regardless if it looks dull or not, Those images perfectly show that only with some minor changes on the textures, specially on caves, that it's defintely an improvement and in my opinnion it should be applied officially.

Really? I disagree entirely. The natural shadows look far better than the forced dark textures.

srb20152.png

9539982151_1d3824fa3d_o.png

It's not an improvement, it looks worse. As dull as the level is, making ugly changes to it isn't the answer.

The problem with the cave to begin with is that because all surfaces use the same texture, it's a giant disorienting mess of brown. Changing the texture to GFZINSID only makes it worse, because while GFZROCK at least has some contrast between light and dark brown, GFZINSID is entirely dark, making the cave even more monochromatic.

The entire thing shouldn't just be one texture, certain platforms and walls need to be distinguished from others. That's also not the only problem; the entire back portion of GFZII is one big round wall, and a simple texture modification won't solve that.

It doesn't take a scientist to figure out what looks pretty in SRB2; I know level designers like Blade and KOTE have already made tons of good looking levels. Just spruce it up and be done with it.

But what I meant was, with the textures changed, it does look different and not as dull. But GFZ2 defintely needs some change since mostly all of the acts in so many zones are getting changed, so why not GFZ2?

What's the worst that could happen?

Definitely not. GFZ2 honestly has some of my favourite design in how the level is laid out and the amount of secrets. The level could certainly use some sprucing up, and perhaps a light redesign (SpiritCrusher fixed some of its problems a while back) but remaking GFZ2 from scratch is something I really do not want to see.
It could be just a matter of opinion, though I've never been fond of the randomly-and-unecessarily-high walls GFZ2 has, as well as a couple of big, purposeless areas. (one of such areas is the connection between the river to the secret lake and the starting point. The secret lake would be pretty purposeless as well, if it weren't for the extra lives there. The sonic emblem used to be in the secret lake, which was a pretty nice addition, but now it's in the hole in the wall)

I'm with you on the secrets, but I don't think they're worth enough to keep in comparison to the rest of the level. New secrets could be made in a new level, after all.

Last edited:
In all honesty, I think it would help a lot to make a better sky for Greenflower Zone. I know realism isn't the goal, but that gaudy full saturation blue sky actually is a large contributor to the ugliness of the level. It contrasts really badly with the caramel colors of the GFZROCK, and the grass. A few people have already mentioned it. How about someone designs a new sky? Or even better, have a contest for it, like you did for the ACZ textures.

The funny part is that it still looks more interesting. Actually, just seeing those shots reminds me of just how many textures SRB2 has at its disposal that could work for GFZ. Good mentions are the GFZinside texture shown earlier, and that one texture I can't get the name of (its in the middle of Whackjood's ERZ3 shot there, and on the left side of the wall in the second one).

Last edited:
In all seriousness, I do think Greenflower in its current state could be improved if it used some of the Green Hill/Sapphire Falls textures that are already in the game. But I haven't seen how the new larger GFZ bricks fixes the tiling problems in the larger rooms of GFZ2 which is my biggest complaint with how GFZ looks right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back