View Single Post
Old 12-19-2019   #15
Mystic Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenhog View Post
I'm of the opinion that a SRB1 remake is a stupid idea, since that game's legendary godawfulness when viewed by the standards of fangames today and of SRB2 2.2 is pretty intrinsically tied with it. Trying to "remake" it and bring it up to modern quality would result in a game so different from its source material that it might as well be something new and different.

Yeah, see. If this wasn't an explicit SRB1 remake project, this could all pass as new and original stuff. Not trying to downplay this guy's efforts, mind, his work here looks excellent and I wish him the best of luck with this project. But still.
That's kind of the reason why I would be supportive of a SRB1 remake.
If you compare TGF version of SRB2 to the first DOOM version of SRB2 you'll see that both games are very different from one another. The TGF one looks more of a sequal to Sonic Robo Blast while the DOOM one with new sprites as well make it almost an entirely new Sonic game.
It's been over 20 years, V2.2 being like a whole new game to it's previous version yet the game is still has the number "2" on it when it's now good enough to be it's own game.
So I wonder, where does "Sonic Robo Blast 1" still fits into all of it? If SRB1 is regarded a "bad game" even by STjr's todays standards then why not rename SRB2 to make it it's own game? Or the very least give SRB1 more attention.

It's why I suggest a rehaul of SRB1 because that way Sonic Robo Blast 1 can be reintroduce to SRB2's audience and can be retconned to fit in with SRB2's story, things like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lite View Post
Huh what I am seeing there ? Well thank you, hopefully you will enjoy demo that may come soon.

Actually I couldn't pass it as new original work, even though it has lot of new content. I am doing ACTUAL remake not whatever companies try to pass as remaster or remakes, but in reality they are just recreations. Someone could say that what I am doing is also reimagination, but that's also valid. Pretty much what I am doing though is taking concepts out of SRB1 and build something better out of it (concepts for example in this sense are level structure - 2 acts, level themes, badniks (may add new ones to increase difficulty) and such, not content itself). Which isn't really hard to do, because we are all aware what SRB1 is.

Also I can assure you, there may be some quite a big suprice in "recreation" type of thing :) in demo.
I will admit, even I'm unsure the difference between a remake and remaster. Spyro Trilogy is called a "remaster" on Wikipedia and Wikipedia calls the upcomming FF7 remake a remake. But I guess it's not about what they're called but what kind of remake they are? Eitherway looking forward to seeing your take on SRB1.
Mystic Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote