What if: SRB1 remake?

Something I've been wondering for awhile.
Has Sonic Team jr. ever considered to remake SRB1? And I don't mean the first remake which was more of a "remaster" than a remake. I mean what if remade all of SRB1 from the ground up as an independant game with V2.2 engine? With the zones completely expanded and rehauled.
Let's be honest, SRB1 has not "aged well" given the resources they had at the time (Klik & Play with The Game Factory as a compiler) both SRB1 and SRB2 look almost unidentical to one another. But I'm curious what would Sonniku and STjr would do with it now it has V2.2 engine.

For example, what if Knothole Base Zone or Great Forest Zone was more like Forest Fortress Zone? Or Lake Zone be like Azure Temple Zone? Things like that. The story can still be the same, or if STjr wanted to remove Archie/SatAM elements to be more inline with SRB2 settings (Knothole Base Zone and Robotropolis Zone may need to be renamed if that's the case). But I know just "making a SRB game" will be a lot to ask given the time and effort put into V2.2, especially remastering most of it's stages, I'm just asking if it has ever been considered for the future.

No, a SRB1 Remake of that nature could not happen while we're still working on SRB2 itself. Working on two such fangame projects at once would stretch our skills maybe more than we'd be comfortable with. (As it is, SRB2Kart is developed by a different set of people to vanilla SRB2, though there is some overlap)

If an SRB1 remake was wanted, I think the fans of the community would have to take the wheel on that one instead of the devs, given what was on their plate. But that's just my opinion.

An SRB1 Remake is definitely one of those things that if people wanted it someone would have made it. There's nothing to stop you from remaking the SRB1 levels for v2.2, I'd look forward to it.

That's fair. I'm not asking if STjr will make it along with SRB2 because... heck I can barely scrape something together on Unity let alone a whole polished fan game project, I admit I dunno what goes into SRB2 but I pressume it is a lot of time, effort and love. I was just curious if SRB1 will have some light in the future.

An SRB1 Remake is definitely one of those things that if people wanted it someone would have made it. There's nothing to stop you from remaking the SRB1 levels for v2.2, I'd look forward to it.
I never made levels or mods for SRB2 V2.2 and I wouldn't know where to start.

Plus, if I myself ever decide to do it, I would like Johnny Wallbank approval over it.
For example, if I were to remake SRB1, I would replace/combine Knothole Base Zone and Great Forest Zone and rename it Woodland Hill Zone. This is because SRB2 doesn't have much Archie/SatAM references as SRB1 has. Though Sonikku may not like me making such changes to his original ideas or I would let him rename the SatAM/Archie zones.

Last edited:
SSNTails Did make an incomplete Knothole base level that inspired the Knothole base Zone in Kimokawaiii. Would that be along the lines of what you're thinking?

SSNTails Did make an incomplete Knothole base level that inspired the Knothole base Zone in Kimokawaiii. Would that be along the lines of what you're thinking?
I'm not familiar with Kimokawaii. YouTubing the videos... I still dunno what to make of it.

If you mean "Knothole Valley Zone" then yes, something like that, but also making it it's "own thing" as well, such as perhaps use Greenflower Zone's checkered textured, but recoloured to that of SRB1s Knothole checkered colour and maybe using other sprites and textures from Greenflower Zone and Forest Fortress Zone to give the sense of a green hill like zone in a forest.

I propose SRB1 for remake, not remastered. As far as I believe:
Remastered = When an old game is remade for modern computers, with better graphics, models and some new content but the story and levels are the same. (Examples: Crash Bandicoot and Spyro trilogies)
Remake = When a new game is made that is based on an old game, maybe even same story, but takes liberties for gameplay, how stages are designed and so on. (Example: The Final Fantasy VII remake)

I'm imagining a SRB1 remake where it can still tell the same story, the zones can even have the same name, just the zones are entirely done up SRB2 V2.2 style.

Wow, that’s looking pretty good from what I can see from the gifs. I had no idea someone was doing an SRB1 remake.

That is exactly the kind of thing I'm on about! Brilliant! (Though for some reason Twitter gifs never play for me.) But it looks exactly how I imagine it!

I'm of the opinion that a SRB1 remake is a stupid idea, since that game's legendary godawfulness when viewed by the standards of fangames today and of SRB2 2.2 is pretty intrinsically tied with it. Trying to "remake" it and bring it up to modern quality would result in a game so different from its source material that it might as well be something new and different.
Yeah, see. If this wasn't an explicit SRB1 remake project, this could all pass as new and original stuff. Not trying to downplay this guy's efforts, mind, his work here looks excellent and I wish him the best of luck with this project. But still.

Huh what I am seeing there ? Well thank you, hopefully you will enjoy demo that may come soon.

I'm of the opinion that a SRB1 remake is a stupid idea, since that game's legendary godawfulness when viewed by the standards of fangames today and of SRB2 2.2 is pretty intrinsically tied with it. Trying to "remake" it and bring it up to modern quality would result in a game so different from its source material that it might as well be something new and different.

Yeah, see. If this wasn't an explicit SRB1 remake project, this could all pass as new and original stuff. Not trying to downplay this guy's efforts, mind, his work here looks excellent and I wish him the best of luck with this project. But still.

Actually I couldn't pass it as new original work, even though it has lot of new content. I am doing ACTUAL remake not whatever companies try to pass as remaster or remakes, but in reality they are just recreations. Someone could say that what I am doing is also reimagination, but that's also valid. Pretty much what I am doing though is taking concepts out of SRB1 and build something better out of it (concepts for example in this sense are level structure - 2 acts, level themes, badniks (may add new ones to increase difficulty) and such, not content itself). Which isn't really hard to do, because we are all aware what SRB1 is.

Also I can assure you, there may be some quite a big suprice in "recreation" type of thing :) in demo.

Wouldn't that logic apply to SRB2 then? It used to be the same sort of thing as SRB1, but here we are.

Wouldn't that logic apply to SRB2 then? It used to be the same sort of thing as SRB1, but here we are.

No one judges SRB2 by the standards of its first releases, because it's been updated constantly. SRB1 was a bad game that was only known and played because it came out at a time when the concept of fangames or even just making a game on your computer by yourself was still a super novel and crazy concept (and let's be real here, a lot of Sonic fans back then were kids/tweens who would just be blown away by "SONIC ON MY COMPUTER?!" without actually caring about the quality of the game in question--much how like I, a decade later, would be enthralled by shitty Sonic flash games because "SONIC ON MY COMPUTER!?". Damn, now I'm nostalgic for awful Sonic flash stuff on Newgrounds.)

What's the point of remaking SRB1? So we can play...a 2D Sonic game. A not very good 2D Sonic game. In a 3D fangame. In a world where there are literally hundreds of also-free and better romhacks and fangames that don't require playing a much better game.

That's kind of the reason why I would be supportive of a SRB1 remake.
If you compare TGF version of SRB2 to the first DOOM version of SRB2 you'll see that both games are very different from one another. The TGF one looks more of a sequal to Sonic Robo Blast while the DOOM one with new sprites as well make it almost an entirely new Sonic game.
It's been over 20 years, V2.2 being like a whole new game to it's previous version yet the game is still has the number "2" on it when it's now good enough to be it's own game.
So I wonder, where does "Sonic Robo Blast 1" still fits into all of it? If SRB1 is regarded a "bad game" even by STjr's todays standards then why not rename SRB2 to make it it's own game? Or the very least give SRB1 more attention.

It's why I suggest a rehaul of SRB1 because that way Sonic Robo Blast 1 can be reintroduce to SRB2's audience and can be retconned to fit in with SRB2's story, things like that.

Huh what I am seeing there ? Well thank you, hopefully you will enjoy demo that may come soon.

Actually I couldn't pass it as new original work, even though it has lot of new content. I am doing ACTUAL remake not whatever companies try to pass as remaster or remakes, but in reality they are just recreations. Someone could say that what I am doing is also reimagination, but that's also valid. Pretty much what I am doing though is taking concepts out of SRB1 and build something better out of it (concepts for example in this sense are level structure - 2 acts, level themes, badniks (may add new ones to increase difficulty) and such, not content itself). Which isn't really hard to do, because we are all aware what SRB1 is.

Also I can assure you, there may be some quite a big suprice in "recreation" type of thing :) in demo.
I will admit, even I'm unsure the difference between a remake and remaster. Spyro Trilogy is called a "remaster" on Wikipedia and Wikipedia calls the upcomming FF7 remake a remake. But I guess it's not about what they're called but what kind of remake they are? Eitherway looking forward to seeing your take on SRB1.

Honestly I've been hoping for years for someone to reimagine SRB1 the way Dave has. Like sure, it's so drastically different that it might as well be an entirely new game, but it'd be nice to have any version of SRB1 that's playable by today's standards. I'm really interested in seeing what comes from it.

In my opinion, a remake of SRB1 that’s outside of SRB2 wouldn’t be a bad idea. I can expect original composed songs being made for SRB1 if it ever gets the game remake. Now if the development of the remake were to happen right now, I think a different group of developers would pile probably work on it rather than consisting all the developers being STjr members though credits would at least still be given with very certain STjr members being maybe programmers.

Something I've been wondering for awhile.
Has Sonic Team jr. ever considered to remake SRB1? And I don't mean the first remake which was more of a "remaster" than a remake. I mean what if remade all of SRB1 from the ground up as an independant game with V2.2 engine? With the zones completely expanded and rehauled.
Let's be honest, SRB1 has not "aged well" given the resources they had at the time (Klik & Play with The Game Factory as a compiler) both SRB1 and SRB2 look almost unidentical to one another. But I'm curious what would Sonniku and STjr would do with it now it has V2.2 engine.

For example, what if Knothole Base Zone or Great Forest Zone was more like Forest Fortress Zone? Or Lake Zone be like Azure Temple Zone? Things like that. The story can still be the same, or if STjr wanted to remove Archie/SatAM elements to be more inline with SRB2 settings (Knothole Base Zone and Robotropolis Zone may need to be renamed if that's the case). But I know just "making a SRB game" will be a lot to ask given the time and effort put into V2.2, especially remastering most of it's stages, I'm just asking if it has ever been considered for the future.
I actually am working on a reimagining of SRB1, not in SRB2, but rather as a standalone program.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back