• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SRB2 Terminal - Enhancements for dedicated servers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fickleheart

ms reflec beat stan
EDIT: We're in releases now

Have you ever played on one of those dedicated servers on the MS and felt... unsatisfied? Like "wow, this server's been stuck on CTF for the last four hours!"? Ever wished the game managed itself more like Source games?

Have we got news for you.

Terminal is a means of enhancing the netplay experience, designed for dedicated servers but usable by anyone! Design has been mainly the work of myself and Wolfy, but we've also been testing with folks in the Mumble server.

FEATURES INCLUDE:

izgURIu.png

Vote-based map switching, for when everyone in the game agrees Nimbus Ruins is too terrible to play but no admins are around to fix it!

qNmKgdo.png

Remote execution of server commands! (Only for approved users!)

Fl5puxZ.png

Customizable splash screens on server join! I apologize for the graphics I used to test it.

Other things that I don't have screenshots for:

• An overhauled permissions system; gone are the days of one admin per server. Granular permissions are provided for total control of what each player is allowed to do.
  • A login system, for saving your permissions and authenticating yourself to the server.
  • Multiplayer-friendly implementations of cheats. (Limited to users with the proper permissions.)
All of this is done entirely through Lua scripting; no EXE modifications have been made. (Parsing new registrations automatically will require a separate executable to be run alongside the game, but this is optional. All other functions work without any external assistance.)

Terminal is currently in closed testing; if you'd like to assist with its development or testing, feel free to contact one of us through either IRC or the Mumble server. (In particular, we need people who can host long-term dedicated servers for testing purposes, and someone who can assist with development of the registration-parsing executable mentioned above.)

Last edited:
I can easily set up a dedicated server for you guys for many hours a day. I've already been testing with you as well.

If at all possible, I'd recommend lowering the font size for voting or something.

Other than that, great work. Beginning to look like a proper server management setup.

Heh, this is pretty cool. I've been hoping for something like this for ages, but it never occurred to me that it could be done in vanilla SRB2. Before you know it, we'll have questionable sprays all over the Master Server.

Customizable splash screens on server join! I apologize for the graphics I used to test it.
Don't be, My avatar is the other half of that image.

On to the lua work, what your doing is a great idea, SRB2 can really benefit from this!

I can imagine some people getting...creative...with those splash screens...
Is there anything going to prevent a dick popping up on my screen when I join a server? O_o

I can imagine some people getting...creative...with those splash screens...
Is there anything going to prevent a dick popping up on my screen when I join a server? O_o

I highly doubt anyone is going to put a dick as the image that pops up on server join. Even if they do, someone can easily report the server.

I question what you post sometimes...

Last edited:
Just messing around with custom poll strings~
srb20012.png

Still need to fix the timer location and have the question wrap around if it exceeds half of the screen...

I highly doubt anyone is going to put a dick as the image that pops up on server join. Even if they do, someone can easily report the server.

I question what you post sometimes...

What? It's a valid concern.
I would like to play my SRB2 NSFW-free. :P

I can see someone doing it just to be a troll, but you have to remember that we can also have the server host banned from listing on the MS.

Oh, you mean different levels of server access. That was one of the first things we added in, actually! It's what permissions are for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back