Is this game SUPPOSED to be this slippery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This quote above should've made every one of these response posts unnecessary if you weren't so stubborn and actually took the advice :/ In any Sonic game, if you don't hold back to keep yourself from falling off a ledge, you will fall off of the ledge. The classic games which SRB2 is so heavily based on share the same principle, and can be even harder to platform in simply due to the lack of speed between jumps that Sonic's thok gives you in SRB2. I will say that it applies more in SRB2 than most other 3D Sonic games but it shouldn't be that hard to adapt.

Point be, maybe if you at least held the back button for a bit, you wouldn't have fallen off of that many platforms.

Your reading comprehension needs some fine tuning.

I seriously hope that in the next build, the developers can reconsider giving Sonic a little vertical boost in his jumping height.

Last edited:
Still has this happen though. At that third platform Sonic just skids backwards for god knows what reason.
The issue I'm seeing here is that you're running up to your jump diagonally forward-left, turning right during the jump, and then holding straight back, which ends up thrusting you perpendicular to your momentum instead of in the opposite direction (which would slow you down). Generally you're going to have to be really careful when you do either of those first two things, and make sure when you're slowing down in the air that you're adjusting opposite to your current momentum. (In this specific case, pushing right and feathering back would be a good idea.)

Actually, definitely put some practice into feathering (I use the term to mean tapping repeatedly as opposed to holding) movement keys to control momentum, particularly in mid-air. That's going to be invaluable later. Especially in ERZ where you're likely to get murdered without it.

One thing I do kind of wish this game would have is a brake button, that acts the same as pushing opposite of whatever your current momentum is. It'd make platforming a bit easier, especially for things like this.

Also, you probably shouldn't be trying for this without a lot more familiarity with the controls, but if you can't slow down in time to stay on a certain platform it may benefit you to just jump straight for the next one. If nothing else, jumping close to the edge while continuing to backpedal gives you some extra time to pull back, which I've found invaluable for some situations.

What would you say in the 2.0 where the water at the start of Deep Sea 1 rises to ceilling, where the end of Arid Canyon is an ugly death pit for Sonic?

As everyone says, holding forward in platforming is a bad idea, espicially as Sonic.
Unlike older Sonic games the 10 minutes time limit doesn't exist so you can take your time for platforming.
If you have troubles with Sonic, use Tails, Knuckles isn't the best choice since he has to take some specific paths and is highly disadventaged in Egg Rock.

While I understand that the issue you've been having may have not been the acceleration after all, it is worth nothing that the acceleration in SRB2 is actually very weird anyway. Instead of what you might expect, acceleration increases as your speed gets higher (so you gain more speed at higher speeds). I find this very odd behaviour personally and it can feel very strange.

On a more on-topic note, you may find it actually worse playing as Tails and Knuckles if not using their abilities because they actually have slower acceleration than Sonic, despite their slower top speeds too (What?). As a result, this makes getting started with the characters and getting speed more difficult, but also makes it take longer to stop, because acceleration is tied to braking. I actually compare playing to Tails as constantly wading through mud because of how bad it is playing as him. Knuckles may be the best choice in the end.

Last edited:
I can land on street poles in Tortured Planet, the physics aren't that slippery. The real trick to SRB2's movement is that you need to be prepared to make drastic changes in direction by pulling back, a lot. They added skidding to 2.1 for a reason, so it's easier to tell that when you're holding back on the analog stick, it's actually slowing you down.

All three characters in the vanilla game are also meant for very different playstyles, in my experience. Sonic is the worst possible character to play as starting out, you can't platform well with him, he's too fast for his own good.

Even years later, I still can't control Sonic, and I disable flags in any custom map that forceskin's you to play as him. (Sonic's only attribute is being stupidly fast, not flying or climbing, so what's the point? Seriously? For the love of God.) So I've stuck to Hinote or Tails, where the speeds are less drastic.

I guess as much. But I have a speedrunner's mentality and generally try to see how much I can skip with clever jumping in other sonic games.

Funnily enough I went back and played the game again and I'm not as terrible as I was before. Maybe I'm just getting used to the controls.

Still has this happen though. At that third platform Sonic just skids backwards for god knows what reason.

I thought the exact same thing as you do now when I first played. Sonic at first was waaay to hard for me to control, so I picked tails, got used to him, then I switched to knuckles, then to Sonic. And now, I could say I am perfectly used to the controls now. I now love playing as Sonic due to his states, and prefer using him over tails and knuckles. Now while viewing this game's controls, I think this game did a fantastic job portraying the characters. The mistake you did in the gif, was pushed too much forward, and the speed was carried out when you landed.

Last edited:
Sonic's mediocrity is balanced by the fact that he can activate god mode once he gets all the emeralds.

About DSZ3's boss...

This is something out of topic, but since you talked about DSZs's boss, I want to point one thing: Sea Egg's missiles should explode when he gets hit because most of the time, I get hit by those missiles when I come back to the platform after hitting him. This doesn't happen always but it's really annoying and I find it quite unfair, specially on his pinch mode.

Challenge.

Fair point, but there are some custom levels that have no reason for force-skinning Sonic. So it's a mild inconvenience to crack open a WAD file in XWE and change a couple 1's to 0's in the map header.

I can't bring myself to hate playing as Sonic, though. His speed simply disagrees with my play-style, so I need a slower character, like Hinote, for better precision. It's fun landing on ridiculously tiny things and using it to my advantage.

Knuckles <...> and is highly disadventaged in Egg Rock.

Eh? Really?

I find it nigh impossible as Sonic, and while Tails DOES have a much easier time in the actual levels, he's boned against the bosses. I really had to rely HARD on Knuckles' ability to glide into the bosses to do any damage. >_>

Knuckles was a fair middle ground, IMO.

EDIT:
to the OP: Yeah, it's a slippery game. You just need to get used to understanding the momentum, how to brake quickly, etc. I play without strafing most of the time and I've made it to the final zone with every character. It just takes a while before it "clicks".

Last edited:
Is this game SUPPOSED to be this slippery?
I'm playing as Sonic right now, and this has to be the most slippery game in existence. Sonic runs like he's on oil covered with ice that's been coated in vaseline all the damn time and it makes it impossible to do any kind of precise platforming without falling off.

You should've seen it before 2.1 changed all the physics to be easier to control and change direction in, and in netgames where control latency is a huge issue. Heheheheheh.

But yeah don't start playing as Sonic because he is the antithesis of n00b-friendly in this game. Oof! That thok is deadly to anyone who isn't adjusted to how insanely overpowered it is.

Eh? Really?

I find it nigh impossible as Sonic, and while Tails DOES have a much easier time in the actual levels, he's boned against the bosses. I really had to rely HARD on Knuckles' ability to glide into the bosses to do any damage. >_>

EDIT:
to the OP: Yeah, it's a slippery game. You just need to get used to understanding the momentum, how to brake quickly, etc. I play without strafing most of the time and I've made it to the final zone with every character. It just takes a while before it "clicks".
Such so, its not even funny. I started going against metal sonic with 27 lives, and I lost 5 thanks to his low as hell speed. Yes, I did cheat by flying straight to the hole and using the speed shoes. Then, I died 5 more times against metal himself, mostly from hitting the goddamn barrier every time he moved away. I never wanna do that again.

Eh? Really?

EDIT:

Just for one reason, you can't climb most of the walls, espicially the ones around deaths pits, which breaks the point of Knuckles that is climbing walls to escape criticals situations, the death pit with two lasers over it that leads to the horizontal crushers and the teleporter is a good example.

But that's more at the end of the game than at the beginning when your getting used to his play-style, so he's still a good option for getting out of trouble easily.

Climb usually isn't the saving grace for Knuckles as much as his glide is. It's essentially a damaging slow-fall with a lot of controllability, which is good both for platforming and combat.

Climb usually isn't the saving grace for Knuckles as much as his glide is. It's essentially a damaging slow-fall with a lot of controllability, which is good both for platforming and combat.

Exactly.

The fact you can't climb some of the walls nerfs knuckles until he's no longer OP, but his glide is still great for bypassing stuff and making platforming much easier.

This whole thread is hilarious.
Just use Tails if you have no skill as Sonic, you don't have to rant.

Yeah fuck you too you insufferable twat.

Anyway, real talk, I know it's an engine limitation but the lack of slopes is making this game feel really bizarre. I recently bought the SEGA pack on Steam that has Generations along with 1, 2, 3&K, and CD, and honestly while this game is fun and definitely well-made...it can't hold a candle to any of those 5. Especially the four Genesis ones.

I don't care what you guys say: Sonic in the genesis games was never as slippery as he was in this game. I've been playing through 3&K and 2 and in both I feel far more in control than in this. Not to say that this game is uncontrollable, but every time I do some platforming in it I'm always slightly unsure of what the hell will happen.

Oh, and about the "HURR this game is a momentum game like the classics HURR" stuff: in the classics Sonic does continue running if you let go but the deceleration is a lot more in this game. Yes, some modern Sonics go too far in the other direction (Modern Sonic in Generations is nearly perfect but he stops far too quickly when you let go) but you guys basically took Sonic gameplay and exaggerated everything about it into some weird-ass caricature.

Not even going to get into how the level design of this game is, to put it in the words of a Sonic Retro member, "labyrinthine at BEST".

Don't get me wrong, this game is definitely fun to play, but it can't hold a candle to the Genesis games it purports to imitate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back